The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Getting your way, without everyone else realizing it....
Old 8th October 2002
Lives for gear

Getting your way, without everyone else realizing it....

Steve,

One of the most fun things for me in the Flushing gig was watching you and your crew consistantly " convince" the other segments of the show that they should go your way, don't get me wrong, you were anything but selfish,You just " handled" the other factions beautifully, and made my job way easy in the process..

In a world with live audio, stage managers, lighting companies, union hands, artist relations, etc, this can be tough.. any tips on making everyone feel like they won?
Old 8th October 2002
Super Moderator

Steve 2,

Don't you mean Steve 3? heh

IMO, if you give all you have and more to the production, band, client and crew, it's hard for anyone to say no to a good idea. At this point, they become the selfish ones if they answer "no". When they answer with a "yes" or "I'll try to do my best", everyone wins.

Sometimes, it's easier to get forgiveness, then a "yes" answer. If you know for sure it will benefit the production, you (sometimes) got to take chances to get it recorded.

Oh, and don't except a "no" answer from someone that cannot give you a "yes" answer.
Old 9th October 2002
"don't except a "no" answer from someone that cannot give you a "yes" answer."

Very coolly put!

Old 9th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness
Steve 2,

Oh, and don't except a "no" answer from someone that cannot give you a "yes" answer.
I agree, Jules. That statement borders on profound.

Brian T
Old 9th October 2002
More than any of us here I suspect, Steve professionally HAS to get to the bottom of this question very QUICKLY - "who (the f**k) is REALLY in charge here"?

It's GOT to be a special skill set.

Krikes! Lord knows, studio cats dont interface tooooo well with FOH engineer cats..

Just saying "I am the bands engieeer / producer" can piss them off right away!

Personality = a big plus!

Agressive would have to be very low on the list....

- it's too high on mine.. sadly
Old 9th October 2002
Lives for gear

My personal fave is looking at the few hundred feet of AC feeder cable in the truck and hearing " well, couldn't we just tie in here, I only have 40 ' of feeder..."

Steve #3, you are the real deal!
Old 10th October 2002
Motown legend

One of my best friends is one of the world's top location motion picture sound mixers. He may be the best person at this dance that I've ever seen. His secret seems to be knowing EVERYBODY ELSE'S job even better than they do. He makes them all look really great while getting his own way in the process.
Old 7th November 2002
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
My personal fave is looking at the few hundred feet of AC feeder cable in the truck and hearing " well, couldn't we just tie in here, I only have 40 ' of feeder..."

Steve #3, you are the real deal!
Steve #2,

I think it was 75'. We kind-of met half way (well, almost half).
They ran about 100' of feeder.

heh
Old 1st February 2003
Here for the gear

Perhaps the ideology is only worthwhile and centered in the essense of "Win-Win" if everyone involved is pleased with the outcome.

It is a difficult task to keep those around you happy while you are focused on getting things done.

Old 19th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness
Steve #2,

I think it was 75'. We kind-of met half way (well, almost half).
They ran about 100' of feeder.

heh
Old 27th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Cool

Steve 3:

Sounds like the psychology of experience working, in order to help achive the best results for all those concerned, to me!! heh
Old 27th February 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
One of my best friends is one of the world's top location motion picture sound mixers. He may be the best person at this dance that I've ever seen. His secret seems to be knowing EVERYBODY ELSE'S job even better than they do. He makes them all look really great while getting his own way in the process.
Any chance the guys initials are MF?

NYC Drew
Old 28th February 2003
Motown legend

It's AW, Andy Wiskes.

I didn't know he was legendary until I took a seminar at USC and mentioned to the instructor that I was working for him on post projects. I lucked into learning film sound from one of the real masters.
Old 28th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
He makes them all look really great while getting his own way in the process.
Bob, this is the secret of life.
Old 1st August 2003
I've been pretty lucky in any of the situations I've been in like that. But my experience has been the FOH guys appreciated the help.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
More than any of us here I suspect, Steve professionally HAS to get to the bottom of this question very QUICKLY - "who (the f**k) is REALLY in charge here"?
It's GOT to be a special skill set.

Krikes! Lord knows, studio cats dont interface tooooo well with FOH engineer cats..

Just saying "I am the bands engieeer / producer" can piss them off right away!
Old 18th May 2004
Gear Nut

Arrow Fellas, let a lady tell ya how it's done...

The very best way to get your way is to make the other individual believe that your idea was their idea. I find that especially when dealing with men, this is the most expeditious method, hands down.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search