The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What percentage is your mix time is - Live? Later?
Old 7th October 2002
What percentage is your mix time is - Live? Later?

Please list percentage of times the mix is made during the concert - live

or later

Strategies used for either mix?

Are they much different?

Old 7th October 2002
Lives for gear

I only have two accounts that I do live recording for, one is a ongoing TV concert series, and one is a syndicated radio show.

The TV shows are are very mix and post driven, as the producer is concerned in making the live recording sound just like the artists original recording.

So theres not much mixing at the show, my only concern is that everything is on tape, and im
printing a "in the ball park" tone at a good, but safe level.

The producer that I work for on these live projects is VERY particular about the mix, so i print everything one to one, no bussing.

The good news:
if he wants more of violin number 2 of 6, [ which he has asked for] I can give it to him.

The bad news:
lotsa tracks, The R+B special where are doing in November will fill up 64 tracks.

The live radio stuff I do is direct to DAT, so its quite the oposite, its got to be as mixed as possible. Plus the vibe of this show is very documenatry style, so we are not trying to recreate the record, just grab the live vibe.

On a different note, Ive found that these live dates have taught me a great deal over the last 5 years, theyve got me thinking in different ways, which is good.

For example, in the studio ill sit and ponder bass sounds for an entire afternoon, on these live dates, we will do 22 acts in a 5 or 6 hour filming, with no soundcheck, just a line check.
so it keeps you evolving.

take care

Sean
Old 7th October 2002
Super Moderator

Sean:

You may only have two live recording accounts, but you're a remote guy 110%.
Old 7th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Remoteness
Sean:

You may only have two live recording accounts, but you're a remote guy 110%.
Thanks Steve,
Renting your Aura Sonic gear makes my ventures into the untamed world of live recording doable.
Paul will be calling you about renting more splitter channels for the Nov date.

thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search