The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mkh 8030
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear

To make things even worse, I just checked the Belgian Sennheiser website.
Although I know the products, it took me about 5 minutes to find the MKH series mics.

Very sad indeed. One should conclude high-quality mics will not be their core business in 10 years from now. If they will have anything left.
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Very sad indeed. One should conclude high-quality mics will not be their core business in 10 years from now. If they will have anything left.
There are others.
Old 1st December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
There are others.
But others with RF capsules?
Old 1st December 2016
Lives for gear

Headphones are where it's at and they have a zillion models.
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

They're not leaving anything behind in the area of "quality" mics. What are you guys talking about?

They have the MKH line, both original and "improved" 8000 series. They have high quality dynamics, they have a Soundfield mic.

If you need a figure-of-eight mic, buy the MKH version.

What is the complaint?
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

The size mostly
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post

What is the complaint?
The complaint is the 8000 series was pushed as the next gen-high bandwidth version. A complete system, modular, with extension tubes, digital bodies etc.
All polar patterns, even a wide card which the original series never had.

EXCEPT the fig8...

What could be so difficult in designing a slightly wider screw on fig8 head for the 8000 series ?

In the EU the MKH20 is 45% more expensive than the MKH8020.
The MKH30 is 1750,00 euro + vat ...

There are not many (European !) products that are actually cheaper to buy in the US, pay shipment, pay import duties, pay extra insurance etc.
If I do all that the MKH30 is still 300,00 euro cheaper.

I do not know how that comes across with you, but over here there seems to be something smelly. It looks like they upped the price of the old series (almost 50% over the last 6-7 years), to get some profit out of their last stock (meaning: almost over and out ?) or because they have so little demand they actually build to order in the EU. Which almost certainly means the old series will be end of line in a couple of years.

The ONLY logical conclusion for me is: in about 5 years, Sennheiser will not have a fig8 microphone in their catalogue anymore.

That is my complaint.
Old 2nd December 2016
Deleted User
Quote:
they have so little demand they actually build to order in the EU
My last three purchases between 2012 and today have been built to order, including the 8000 series.
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear
Its all about production process imho
Im sure 8000 mics are machine assembled but the classic MKH are hand processed and thus more expensive
Rode are probably the worlds biggest microphone manufacturer now, all machine made
Sennheiser sell millions of headphones and top the radio mic market, even their Neumann LS are robot assembly, its obviously the plan and the MKH8030 does not fit in.
Roger
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
The complaint is the 8000 series was pushed as the next gen-high bandwidth version. A complete system, modular, with extension tubes, digital bodies etc.
All polar patterns, even a wide card which the original series never had.

EXCEPT the fig8...

What could be so difficult in designing a slightly wider screw on fig8 head for the 8000 series ?

In the EU the MKH20 is 45% more expensive than the MKH8020.
The MKH30 is 1750,00 euro + vat ...

There are not many (European !) products that are actually cheaper to buy in the US, pay shipment, pay import duties, pay extra insurance etc.
If I do all that the MKH30 is still 300,00 euro cheaper.

I do not know how that comes across with you, but over here there seems to be something smelly. It looks like they upped the price of the old series (almost 50% over the last 6-7 years), to get some profit out of their last stock (meaning: almost over and out ?) or because they have so little demand they actually build to order in the EU. Which almost certainly means the old series will be end of line in a couple of years.

The ONLY logical conclusion for me is: in about 5 years, Sennheiser will not have a fig8 microphone in their catalogue anymore.

That is my complaint.
Well then assure that YOUR mic cabinet will have a good figure-of-eight mic. Buy the MKH from a USA dealer today.
Old 2nd December 2016
Lives for gear

yes, myyy precccioussssss, that is what it's all about.
If I solve MY problem now, that will make everything allright.

I am very sorry, but that is not at all what we are discussing here.

The thread is titled MKH8030, not Yannick's perfect mic locker.
Old 3rd December 2016
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post

What is the complaint?
The MKH 30 rolls off very fast at 20kHz - the MKH 8000 series all have an extended top-end response that goes up to 50 or 60kHz.
Old 3rd December 2016
Lives for gear

That means all my recordings with the MKH800twin + MKH30 become pure mono above 25KHz !

One day hires services will start refusing my masters, because there is no stereo content above 25K !

Old 3rd December 2016
Lives for gear

Actually I just checked, compared to the MKH800 twin, the MKH30 seems only 10 dB down at 40KHz.

Next I will try adding a 6dB boost at 40K + some harmonic distortion on the S channel, above 20K. Maybe this will restore the stereo image above 20K and make my hires recordings sound good. Finally.

Old 5th December 2016
Lives for gear

I don't think there is a better choral mic when a choir is behind an orchestra, MKH30 pointed down at the choir with null against the orchestra, haven't heard better. Ribbons don't have the same resolution.
Old 9th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is weird, because in Europe the official price is now around 2K euro.
Must be that the European ones sound better ?
Audiophile versions ?

It is now cheaper to import a US made MKH30 to Europe.

6% customs + 21% VAT = 1450 euro plus shipment = 500 euro cheaper than a EU made MKH30.

Sennheiser - are you going insane ?

At the very least, this proves their business model for the MKH series is a bit shaky at least. Maybe we'll have a MKH8030 in 17 years then ...

Some stores are reporting the MKH30 out of stock in EU.

???

SENNHEISER MKH 30 MICROPHONE RF condenser, bidirectional, studio and location

about 1400€+VAT at the moment in the UK. If you buy from outside the UK from the EU no VAT added. (provided you are VAT registered but then VAT doesn't really count anyway...)

Compared to:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...icrophone.html

1185€ without tax shipping , customs.

BUT: Shipping Restriction: Ships to USA only. Due to export regulations and/or manufacturers restrictions, this item can only be shipped to USA Address.

But these numbers are because the pound and the $$ are super-low at the moment. Dollar to € is almost 1:1. Pound is at 1,20€

It's a live demo on how a strong Euro is bad for Export-driven EU-companies that make most their money outside the EU. For EU consumers that travel and it's obviously good (but only at first glance)

The only way for EU based companies to protect the EU dealers is to restrict US-dealers to shipping to US only or to increase the $$ price a lot or to lower the Euro price a lot. The latter obviously doesn't really make sense unless the company doesn't want to make money anymore.

Has nothing to do with insanity of Sennheiser (unless you call global economy insane which is probably fair). There's a global market but lokal currencies and their mechanics.

Last edited by apple-q; 9th December 2016 at 06:40 PM..
Old 9th May 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
That is weird, because in Europe the official price is now around 2K euro.
?
I second the comment. And it's virtually impossible to find it second hand.

Any other high quality fig8 mic for MS ? Looking for a ~1000€ alternative.

Thanks!
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octave Octavio View Post

Thanks!
bhphotovideo has them for 1150 euro, which corresponds to 1420 euro in Belgium inclusive import and VAT.

Thomann.de has them (out of stock !) for 1969 euro.

If you have a VAT number, I would go for import from the US, only slightly above your budget.
Old 9th May 2017
Lives for gear

There is a figure-8 capsule in the MBHO modular system, although for some reason it is not listed on their website. The cost of that plus a preamp should be within your budget. I haven't compared it with the MKH30, but I have one and like it.
Old 11th May 2017
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octave Octavio View Post

Thanks!
The MKH 30 is definitely the one to aim for - fully symmetrical single diaphragm capsule.

The Neumann AK 20 is also symmetrical (acoustically only, not electrically)

The Schoeps fig.8 is also a single diaphragm design, but not symmetrical (the rear lobe is slightly down at high frequencies).

(before the Schoeps lovers start screaming - if you compare the Neumann and Schoeps plots you can see clearly what each designer has done. Neumann have sacrificed on-axis results to get symmetry and Schoeps have sacrificed symmetry to get a better on-axis response)

The Ambient EMESSER and MBHO figure-8s are also single diaphragm and are available at lower cost (the Ambient is an OEM capsule made for them by MBHO).
Old 13th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
before the Schoeps lovers start screaming - if you compare the Neumann and Schoeps plots you can see clearly what each designer has done. Neumann have sacrificed on-axis results to get symmetry and Schoeps have sacrificed symmetry to get a better on-axis response
And Sennheiser has sacrificed transparent non-character sound for super specs to read on paper with a signal that is RF modulated, then RF demodulated, and even passed through an eq circuit.
Old 13th May 2017
Gear Guru

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracu View Post
And Sennheiser has sacrificed transparent non-character sound for super specs to read on paper with a signal that is RF modulated, then RF demodulated, and even passed through an eq circuit.
I wouldn't agree with this at all.

The MKH sound is transparent and neutral in my 32-year experience of them.

The symmetrical capsule design reduces intermodulation distortion at high frequencies by a vast amount.

They don't have the "colour" of other designs, but that is intentional.

Now, regarding the capsule damping; most designs heavily damp the capsule to get a wide flat frequency response - instead, Sennheiser only lightly damp the capsule and build the converse of the capsule response into the electronics. This gives a wide, flat, frequency response and enables the designer to make, also, a much better polar-pattern.

Is this an EQ circuit? Certainly not in the traditional sense - it's a circuit designed with a specific response and non adjustable.

And - RF capacitor mics are inherently balanced, they don't need an extra balancing circuit or transformer bolted onto the end to balance them like all other mics.

I find this design neutral and revealing and, certainly, very transparent. Though I understand why it's not liked by everyone.
Old 14th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracu View Post
The use of the word "sacrificed" shows a complete misunderstanding of how and why Sennheiser implemented their design.

Also, we have a 30K listen listening test in this forum, where the MKH30 comes out on top of many highend ribbon mics for quite a few people.

I still have to find a more transparant mic.

Maybe you can point me to a magical design I am not aware of ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Five years and still nout .

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 View Post
Five years and still nout .

Almost, but...

https://b9audio.com/

....if you scroll down to CM180, in poor light and with your reading glasses off, there's your mic !

Cheaper than the 8030 too ....
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Almost, but...

https://b9audio.com/

....if you scroll down to CM180, in poor light and with your reading glasses off, there's your mic !

Cheaper than the 8030 too ....
But not an Sennheiser-style RF mic...more akin to a Mk 8.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

MKH-8030 Dead?

Do we know the actual bottom line? Is the MKH-8030 well and truly dead?

DG
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpretzel View Post

DG
VLADIMIR
He didn't say for sure he'd come.
ESTRAGON
And if he doesn't come?
VLADIMIR
We'll come back tomorrow.
ESTRAGON
And then the day after tomorrow.
VLADIMIR
Possibly.
ESTRAGON
And so on.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpretzel View Post

DG
like many other companies in our business, sennheiser is struggeling during those crazy times as was reported in the faz today...

https://www.faz.net/aktuell/wirtscha...3.html?premium

...so i doubt there is something to be expected which doesnt appeal to the masses anytime soon.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Mr. Praline: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!

Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.

Mr. Praline: Look, matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

Owner: No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!

Mr. Praline: The plumage don't enter into it. It's stone dead.

Owner: Nononono, no, no! 'E's resting
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear