The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
"Resolution" magazine profiles Plush
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I came from Hollywood.

Any GS'ers at AES next week in NYC, enquire after me at the Sonosax booth.
We can hang.
Plush...you bear more than a passing resemblance to a (younger) Philip Glass :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGaG5VJqgZg

Any relation to you ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Greetings, Pieter

Jacques Sax told me he will be at his booth on THURS and FRI. And I will spend some time there as well. I am not working for Sonosax; but rather having cameraderie there.
If you think of it, Hudson, ask Jacques if there is a simple way or procedure to convert a US-version SX-R4+ back to the full dual-AD version. I had to get the handicapped version through Trew here in the US, would be nice to restore full features.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesmr View Post
If you think of it, Hudson, ask Jacques if there is a simple way or procedure to convert a US-version SX-R4+ back to the full dual-AD version. I had to get the handicapped version through Trew here in the US, would be nice to restore full features.
I bought mine overseas for exactly this reason. I do believe, however, that it is just a firmware upgrade. I think if you happened to have the machine out of the US and found a dealer/distributor, that you'd probably swap out the firmware and be done with it. I do know that there is no hardware difference.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes, a software flag is reset in the machine to "unlock" the full dynamic range operation. I thought it would be new hardware installed but that is not how it is done.

No idea if a Canadian dealer could reset it in person so that the customer could then walk his machine back over the border to the US.

Obviously, the Canadian dealer could not in good conscience ship the modified machine back to the US.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Plush...you bear more than a passing resemblance to a (younger) Philip Glass :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGaG5VJqgZg

Any relation to you ?
I know Glass. I look nothing like him.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by niversen View Post
I bought mine overseas for exactly this reason. I do believe, however, that it is just a firmware upgrade. I think if you happened to have the machine out of the US and found a dealer/distributor, that you'd probably swap out the firmware and be done with it. I do know that there is no hardware difference.
I was in contact with the factory and they were willing to arrange exactly that.

Last edited by emenelton; 4 weeks ago at 08:54 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I know Glass. I look nothing like him.
I cannot see that likeness either. It goes without saying that Plush is a greater authority on this question than I am... That being said, if (the entirely wonderful) Nigel Bruce had provided his DNA for an early experiment in genetic engineering, and the biologists had thrown in two pinches of George Sanders (equally wonderful), I dare say the result would have quite resembled Maestro Plush. Albeit without the M50s (alas, now residing in Switzerland.)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pk View Post
I cannot see that likeness either.
For reference...
Attached Thumbnails
"Resolution" magazine profiles Plush-glass1.jpg   "Resolution" magazine profiles Plush-glass4.jpg  

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 3 weeks ago at 06:07 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
For reference...
Those are both handsome men which would account for his good looks!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Now sanctified with SONOSAX mixersound.

I sold one of my Neve consoles.

Still have a different Neve.

You're NObody without a Neve.
Attached Thumbnails
"Resolution" magazine profiles Plush-sonosax-sx-es64-view-2.jpg  
Old 22 hours ago
Gear Guru

Wink

Quote:

Pleeeease don't post pictures of Sonosax - the drool is running down my chin.
Old 16 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Good looking device....is there a compressor on every channel ?

Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't Neve generally be considered to be at the 'coloured' or 'character' end of the mixer & preamp spectrum for classical work.....or do you use it for just those very qualities ?
Old 15 hours ago
All of Decca’s new mixers were Neve almost exclusively from about mid-70s to the closing in the late 90s. Pres were proprietary, though, at least later on. A big Neve replaced their tube desk at Sofiensaal around ‘70, so all the big ‘70s operas and orchestral works from that period in Vienna were on a Neve.
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
All of Decca’s new mixers were Neve almost exclusively from about mid-70s to the closing in the late 90s. Pres were proprietary, though, at least later on. A big Neve replaced their tube desk at Sofiensaal around ‘70, so all the big ‘70s operas and orchestral works from that period in Vienna were on a Neve.
Thanks for that detail Kevin, it puts the Neve presence into a more meaningful context. My awareness of Neve is in connection with big-name Rock studio desks from the 70's onwards, but it's good to know that an association with the clean/transparent requirement of classical and opera was also catered for by Neve products.
Old 4 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for that detail Kevin, it puts the Neve presence into a more meaningful context. My awareness of Neve is in connection with big-name Rock studio desks from the 70's onwards, but it's good to know that an association with the clean/transparent requirement of classical and opera was also catered for by Neve products.
I hope you don’t mind me asking but are you implying that the NEVE pre that Decca used is different from the ‘Rock studio desks’ from that period? I thought the NEVE sound actually was the same between those two genres.
Old 4 hours ago
Lives for gear

The consoles I used were model 5442. Those came in 8 channel, 12, channel, and 16 channel units. Decca also used this design but in addition also specified modular consoles to be able to expand and use more channels.

Neve is not really a colored sound at all. It is very clean and neutral with tremendous headroom. This console has 40 dB of headroom on the faders.

The 5442 and its ilk were simple consoles with 2 AUX sends, 3 band EQ, and provisions for reverb return, talk back, and multi-tone oscillators.

I bought one of mine new in 1987 for $11,000. I made scores of records on the console with great success.

I highly recommend the smaller size Neve consoles running in class A/B.
Of course, one makes the 2 mix right on the spot with these consoles with no provision for recording multi-track for later mixing.

I still have and use other Neve consoles.
Attached Thumbnails
"Resolution" magazine profiles Plush-neve1.jpg   "Resolution" magazine profiles Plush-studio-1-view-2.jpg  
Old 4 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by emenelton View Post
I hope you don’t mind me asking but are you implying that the NEVE pre that Decca used is different from the ‘Rock studio desks’ from that period? I thought the NEVE sound actually was the same between those two genres.
Is "the Neve Sound" even such a fixed, quantifiable thing ? I doubt it....more likely something mutable and modified by Rupert's design ethic according to each situation?
Old 3 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is "the Neve Sound" even such a fixed, quantifiable thing ? I doubt it....more likely something mutable and modified by Rupert's design ethic according to each situation?
Fair enough. I was just pushing back on the Neve not being for classical.

Appreciate your addressing my post.

Thanks,

CL

Last edited by emenelton; 1 hour ago at 06:40 PM..
Old 3 hours ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't Neve generally be considered to be at the 'coloured' or 'character' end of the mixer & preamp spectrum for classical work.....or do you use it for just those very qualities ?
If you were to take "You're nobody without a Neve" at face value and buy 10-series inputs for classical recording, you'd make colorful and character-filled classical records. And maybe prove that you can be a nobody even with a Neve.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search