The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hear Today, Deaf Tomorrow?
Old 6th October 2002
Question Hear Today, Deaf Tomorrow?

How loud do you monitor? And for how long?
Old 6th October 2002
Lives for gear

What was that?

I generally Mix at about 90db.. and every little while drop that to barely audible just to check balances.

I track a little louder, esp if the player is in the control room..

MAx 10 hour day, 8 is more normal.
Old 6th October 2002
I listen too loud too long.

Trying to stop.

Had an ear test at an AES show a while back, it was fine they said.... I was suprised!

Old 7th October 2002
Gear Maniac

While Mixing, I now like to start off my mixes on a set of Tivoli Audio Model II's (3" radio speakers). These actually sound pleasing as a consumer radio, and are only 20 watts a side. I start mixes on them at low levels to help get signals "ballsy" without breaking up, and also try to get equal clarity when there is minimal speaker realistate to work with.

I then switch over to my Genelecs to see how things are going, I sometimes switch back and forth, yet it really depends on the song/music/mood/day. Anyways, I definatly like to get things loud (usually on my consumer shelf system's AUX). When I monitor loud, I usually walk around the room - go into the next room, go upstairs - and see how things sound from those angles.

I rarely mix at loud volumes, not only for the sake of my ears, but also since I've found that I leave certain things unattended when I use a volume knob to bring everything "in your face". Just like everything else, there is a time and a place.
Old 7th October 2002
Huh, what did you say?

Yes, when you monitor loud, everything sounds good. Low level monitoring is the key to perfect balanced mixes.

I tend to mix the same way Steve has described, but I have been known to crank up the volume at times.
Old 7th October 2002
Lives for gear

Sometimes I wish I had the 30 - 50 K for a set of amazing bigs, although I know I would only use em 3 or 4 passes a mix...

anyone say gearslut?
Old 7th October 2002
One with big hooves

I usually monitor around 85-95dB. A lot of times I'll turn it way down and listen in mono to see if the important things like the vocal, bass, kick and snare are coming through. I'll also crank it up and listen from another room before I print a mix to try and emulate what it might sound like if it's played in a club. If I rip my ears off when I crank it up I know I need to go back to work on the 3-5khz range before I print it.
Old 7th October 2002
Lives for gear

The room im in right now sucks, so the only way bands can hear a fairly balanced mix in the room is to turn up the monitors fairly loud. If you sit in the sweet spot or go outside its fine, but if you're in the back of the room I have to crank the mix for them, and blow my ears off while at it. So i always have to pop earlplugs in. I cant wait to have a nice sounding CR.
Old 7th October 2002
Lives for gear

I monitor around 80-90 for short periods of time and quiet for the majority.

If I'm tracking and have a band member in the control room that needs to "feel it" I throw on my target practice (30-40 db reduction) muffs for the loudtakes. If it works for guns...
Old 7th October 2002
There is only one

did someone say something?
Old 7th October 2002
Lives for gear

If they said it at the same volume as my partner monitors I wouldn't have heard it.
Old 8th October 2002
Gear Maniac

After several recent live gigs I've had terrible ear fatigue, not something I want to get used to. Fortunately I've been working with a great drummer who has pointed out to me these plugs:

http://www.westone.com/music/elite.html#es49

He's a great player, his work has made it very clear to me that he can hear great detail while working with the plugs in.
Old 8th October 2002
Old 11th October 2002
Lives for gear

I hate those things in my ears .... can't stand them. and whenever even using a headphone I will NOT allow anyone to control the volume for them. I had a very bad experience with some *sshole sending what seemed like a 5000 db signal into my headphones once.

As for monitoring, I monitor between 80 - 90 db for like 75 % of the time with louder peaks for short amounts of time during recording.

Mixing I tend to do a little bit louder but I change volumes all the time and hardly ever mix longer then 2 hours non stop without a break. And never mix longer then 8 hours a day. I will listen loud to very loud on the mainfields for a while and then switch back to lower volumes and continue on the nearfields.
Old 13th April 2003
Bump...

No 110 dB warriors out there anymore? heh
Old 13th April 2003
Who left the oscillator on?

hehe

Seriously, I have an SPL meter on my console all the time, though it isn't always on. I have found that I am most comfortable monitoring at about 80-85. I monitor a little at 90 and usually crank it up to close to 100 for a couple of seconds for rock stuff to make sure everything still pops, but typically stay 15-20db lower than that...
Old 13th April 2003
Gear Addict

What do you guys use for SPL meters? Would a cheapo Radio Shack one be fine?
Old 13th April 2003
Gear Maniac

I have those plugs. I got them for $165 with the 25's for filters. They are good but not FLAT, they do take highs down and I could use MORE attenuation for the live gigs!! I think they let enough in to still be damaging. I decided to get them after years of putting it off. My ringing started to last no matter how long between shows. I think I have caught it in time to not cause lasting damage but I can use a little more attenutaion than the 25's offer.
Old 13th April 2003
Gear Maniac

I use the RadioShack analog spl meter.

Galaxy Audio now have a variety of SPL meters that look good. I have not worked with them yet.
Old 14th April 2003
Lives for gear

When in an isolated environment, 85 is the average. Some remotes, like the HFStival require much higher levels due to the ambient sound around you. We split between 2 mixers for that gig and I wear plugs when not mixing to limit exposure.

Festivals that make you setup very close to the stage can often bring this issue up, I'm just glad I don't have to mix eight bands at 100+ dB. Ouch.
Old 15th April 2003
I also use the Radio Shack analog SPL Meter. It's cheap and effective.

...One more thing.

If you get the mix to sound incredible at a low volume, it will always sound great louder. It's not always the case in reverse.
Old 1st August 2003
I tend to break it up alot. But lately I've been mixing at much quieter levels.
I also listen on 3 different pairs of monitors. When I've got the mix where I want it, I'll check the mix for vocal level once fairly loud to make sure its not hurting anyone or too in the track. Also the longer I work on a mix the quieter
I listen or the more complex the mix is the quieter I'll listen .
Old 4th April 2009
What was that you said?

Can you repeat that? -- I didn't hear you while I was bumping this thread.
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

I swear up and down that one ear is worse than the other, but four years of tests in a row say that both ears are identically fine. I've got sensitive ears, in that I've always been wearing earplugs when I play because it actually hurts me when I am around really loud stuff. I even wear them when riding public transportation or in movie theaters. My girlfriend laughed at me at first, and now she's got 31dB plugs on her keychain too!

I monitor for mixing around 80-95 dB (using the SPL meeter on my iPhone, which is pretty much the same as the radio shack one as far as I can tell) and depending on the tracking facility I'm in, I can get up to around 100 dB if the artist is in the room and wants to "feel" it while tracking guitars or bass or whatever. When that is the case, I always have my plugs in. I carry around my customs with 15dB attenuators loaded, and when I play live I use the 21dB. For mass transit rides, I rock the 31dB orange plugs....more for the annoying chatter of people on their cell phones, but when the train takes that sharp turn, I'll take all the protection I can get!
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by strewnshank View Post
I swear up and down that one ear is worse than the other, but four years of tests in a row say that both ears are identically fine. I've got sensitive ears, in that I've always been wearing earplugs when I play because it actually hurts me when I am around really loud stuff. I even wear them when riding public transportation or in movie theaters. My girlfriend laughed at me at first, and now she's got 31dB plugs on her keychain too!
Wow! Are you me?

What that guy said.

I feel you about one ear worse than the other - I saw Rage Against the Machine and System of a Down a few years ago and didn't get to stand where I wanted (I'll never trust friends to find the 'sweet spot' again). Right next to the speaker stack on the right, and I always feel that my right ear is weaker, esp at HF. Again, audiologists disagree (I can hear what dogs only dream of . . . ), but I can feel it . . .

My girlfriend's father had an ear infection at age 40-something. Just like that - overnight - he was deaf in one ear.
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohthom View Post
Wow! Are you me?

What that guy said.

I feel you about one ear worse than the other - I saw Rage Against the Machine and System of a Down a few years ago and didn't get to stand where I wanted (I'll never trust friends to find the 'sweet spot' again). Right next to the speaker stack on the right, and I always feel that my right ear is weaker, esp at HF. Again, audiologists disagree (I can hear what dogs only dream of . . . ), but I can feel it . . .

My girlfriend's father had an ear infection at age 40-something. Just like that - overnight - he was deaf in one ear.
If you flip the LR of your mixes to RL instead, does it sound strange? Mine normally don't, so I figure the docs are right.

Sucks about your GF's father....sorry to hear it. Were there any other circumstances accompany the story that we should look out for? Was he a q-tip using fellow?

A friend of mine's boyfriend went practically deaf in both ears over the course of a week, stayed that way for a month, and regained 100% over the course of another month. MD's chalked it up to a virus. SCARY!
Old 7th April 2009
I reference my mixes in mono to make sure everything is everything.
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by strewnshank View Post
If you flip the LR of your mixes to RL instead, does it sound strange? Mine normally don't, so I figure the docs are right.

Sucks about your GF's father....sorry to hear it. Were there any other circumstances accompany the story that we should look out for? Was he a q-tip using fellow?

A friend of mine's boyfriend went practically deaf in both ears over the course of a week, stayed that way for a month, and regained 100% over the course of another month. MD's chalked it up to a virus. SCARY!
When I flip mixes they sound right - it's just a perceived (not an actual) weakness/difference. Slightly rolled off HF in comparison to the other ear (but enough to make some breeds of dog a little envious heh).

There were no warning signs for the infection at all - just woke up one day with a sore ear - went to the docs, next day he was deaf. Well, I say deaf, it's more Evelyn Glennie deaf - he can hear (just) but he's clinically deaf. No q-tip etc. Very worrying!
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

I wanted to start a thread, but I felt this topic was close enough.

I have lived in Las Vegas my whole life, and the pollen from the mullberry trees around here is hell this time of year, I never really had much allergy problems, but this year has been dreadful. Today I noticed a lot of pressure in my sinuses and especially my ears, like being in an airplane or driving in the mountains, not as much as diving or anything like that!

Anyways, it hasn't gone away, and I have been getting some ringing when people (myself included) talk loudly. I haven't tried to mix anything or listen to any music (I'm too worried!) but things like the phone when I dial sound like they have a wierd ring modulator on them, and I just keep getting weird bell tones, randomly nothing consistent.

Have any of you guys experienced anything like this? Was it allergy related?

I have a good ENT guy, but he couldn't get me in until Monday. I have a session this weekend, so I am definitely tracking everything with NO EQ!!!

Any wisdom would be uber-appreciated!
Robby
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Allergies and colds can play havoc with your hearing. I've had issues in the past where a cold has plugged my Eustachean (spelling?) tubes from my ears to cause sympathetic ringing. Using a prescription nasal spray with the non-time release Naicin did a world of good for me.

These days, I keep the claritin handy- if I can breathe, I can hear.

As for the thread- I try to monitor around 80-85 dB. Any louder than that can really get on my nerves.

--Ben
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear