The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
new Zoom field recorder
Old 20th August 2015
  #91
Lives for gear
 
hbphotoav's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by note235 View Post



I'll post up some impressions on my website soon/will link here.
Coming from a video perspective.
Doesn't look much bigger than a DR-60D... a bit wider across the front, and a tad shorter, maybe? Looking forward to your links.

Nothing like that "fresh-out-of-the-box" moment, is there? I still remember my Ensemble and Gefell M296 unwrappings... and just a couple of days ago, the M32. Sound guys are lucky... kinda like Christmas a couple of times a year... although there have been a couple of "April Fools" along the way.

HB
Old 20th August 2015
  #92
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav View Post
Doesn't look much bigger than a DR-60D... a bit wider across the front, and a tad shorter, maybe? Looking forward to your links.

Nothing like that "fresh-out-of-the-box" moment, is there? I still remember my Ensemble and Gefell M296 unwrappings... and just a couple of days ago, the M32. Sound guys are lucky... kinda like Christmas a couple of times a year... although there have been a couple of "April Fools" along the way.

HB
I have a photo comparing it against a 70d, and Mix Pre D. It's surprisingly larger than all of those. And taller too.
Old 21st August 2015
  #93
Lives for gear
 
Pohaku's Avatar
 

Zoom F8 impressions LightForm Film

Voila!
Old 22nd August 2015
  #94
Here for the gear
 

This may not be as helpful for the ENG/film crowd, but for those hoping to use this for live music recordings, here's the first sample I could find. Six channel mix, all mics directly into the F8:

https://archive.org/details/RebirthBrassBand2015-08-14

Last edited by TonyBono; 22nd August 2015 at 07:10 PM..
Old 22nd August 2015
  #95
Lives for gear
 
Pohaku's Avatar
 

The discussion of the recording by the recordist is here:

Zoom F8
Old 23rd August 2015
  #96
Gear Addict
 
Jaymz's Avatar
 

Cheers for the comparison. Any chance of one with a lower noise mic?

DR70 sounds odd. Both the F8 and the Mix-Pre/Marantz sound quite good.
Old 28th September 2015
  #97
Lives for gear
B&H expect new stocks in by end of first week in October: $1000
Reviews seem largely positive, but none seem specialized enough to reference remote music recording primarily, nor to comment on the preamps' comparative quality. One review notes the limiter as being poorly placed in the input chain, and also a poor headphone amp...these have arisen on other critique sites also.

Zoom F8 Multi Track Field Recorder ZF8 B&H Photo Video

Has anyone used one extensively for field music capture enough to add to what's already been written ?
Old 28th September 2015
  #98
Lives for gear
 

Keep an eye on that TS thread linked above - there's a classical piano sample discussed there today.
Old 28th September 2015
  #99
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozpeter View Post
Keep an eye on that TS thread linked above - there's a classical piano sample discussed there today.
Thanks Ozpeter...I think you're referring to this one: Zoom F8 for Classical recording
Old 29th September 2015
  #100
Lives for gear
 
JamesClark1991's Avatar
Am I the only one thinking that the lack of analogue limiters is a potential dealbreaker?
Old 29th September 2015
  #101
Gear Addict
 
OzGizmo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 View Post
Am I the only one thinking that the lack of analogue limiters is a potential dealbreaker?
You are kidding me right?

If thats a deal breaker for you may I suggest that you need to get better aquatinted with gear...... So what with 120+db of s/n do you have to run in the top 5% of maximum.... really?

Those of us that started with analogue recorders needed to learn a different level technique with digital.

So do you run all your RF mic systems on the point of limiting?
Do you drive your car reving to the red line of the Tacho?
Do you drive along the road at maximum allowable speed or do you drive to the road and weather conditions?
Do you cook your food on a stove with the cooking element on 'High'?

I did a 5 hr shoot the other day and I did even get the limit light of my SD442 to even have a dim glow.

If you are even getting to the point of using the limiters in 'general' recording may I suggest you are doing it wrong.
Old 30th September 2015
  #102
Lives for gear
 
JamesClark1991's Avatar
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzGizmo View Post
You are kidding me right?

If thats a deal breaker for you may I suggest that you need to get better aquatinted with gear...... So what with 120+db of s/n do you have to run in the top 5% of maximum.... really?

Those of us that started with analogue recorders needed to learn a different level technique with digital.

So do you run all your RF mic systems on the point of limiting?
Do you drive your car reving to the red line of the Tacho?
Do you drive along the road at maximum allowable speed or do you drive to the road and weather conditions?
Do you cook your food on a stove with the cooking element on 'High'?

I did a 5 hr shoot the other day and I did even get the limit light of my SD442 to even have a dim glow.

If you are even getting to the point of using the limiters in 'general' recording may I suggest you are doing it wrong.
Oh don't get me wrong I'm a **** audio engineer, no doubt about that
Old 1st October 2015
  #103
Lives for gear
 
Tommy-boy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzGizmo View Post
You are kidding me right?

If thats a deal breaker for you may I suggest that you need to get better aquatinted with gear...... So what with 120+db of s/n do you have to run in the top 5% of maximum.... really?

Those of us that started with analogue recorders needed to learn a different level technique with digital.

So do you run all your RF mic systems on the point of limiting?
Do you drive your car reving to the red line of the Tacho?
Do you drive along the road at maximum allowable speed or do you drive to the road and weather conditions?
Do you cook your food on a stove with the cooking element on 'High'?

I did a 5 hr shoot the other day and I did even get the limit light of my SD442 to even have a dim glow.

If you are even getting to the point of using the limiters in 'general' recording may I suggest you are doing it wrong.

When you have adequate sound check, rehearsals, controlled environments, etc... - I agree that you should not need limiting.

However, that is not always available. I do some recording where I need to quickly adjust levels on the fly for different sized groups (and different types of groups) that have large differences in average volumes. There is no sound check. I look at group size, whether or not reinforced with PA, position of mics, hall dimensions - and dial in levels. Usually i'm in the ball park, but sometimes, I'm off a little bit. having limiters in place before the A/D conversion can be crucial in these types of recording environments. Critics will note that limiters can impart their own sound to the recording, but it's always preferable to digital clipping! Good limiters should not get in the way when not being activated.

I will not purchase recorders that do not have good limiters in front of the A/D converters. That's one of the many reasons I use a Sound Devices 788T.

No limiters = no deal

-Tom
Old 1st October 2015
  #104
Gear Addict
 
OzGizmo's Avatar
 

The 788 is a great machine BUT is it worth almost 6x the price of the F8?
That will be the question of the end user. A VERY high price for great limiters.
But if your work needs them you will pay the extra $$$$.

A friend of mine sold his SQN kit and bought a full setup of 788t with a bank loan...AND went broke. The reason was although he came with great gear his established clients couldn't justify the extra costing, so they stopped using him. He had debts to pay and eventually the 788 was on eBay.
Another guy locally has recently gone down the path recently of buying a SD688 on the chance of getting a one off big job, job fell through.

Some people are paying a VERY high price for gear for ENG / News work, single mic TVC shoots or 2-3 radio mic corporate Doco stuff.

I keep thinking do you really need a Rolls Royce or Bentley to go to the shops to pick up milk & bread or take the kids to school?
But if you have the $$$$ and can justify it, then thats great go for it.
Old 2nd October 2015
  #105
Lives for gear
 
Tommy-boy's Avatar
 

I'm always saddened to learn of people who go into debt to buy gear and then go belly up. This often seems to be result of poor business sense. Understanding your market and the available dollars is part of the equation. Talent is also part of the equation. I have some nice gear, but none of it was purchased using borrowed money. That's usually not a great idea.

I believe the SD 788T is worth it's price. I feel the same way about the schoeps mics I own.

For the 788T, the price is what it is for many reasons, not just the limiters. The feature set is fantastic and it's reliable. Customer support is an absolute pleasure to use. I've called a few times and was patched right through to a very knowledgeable technician who had a great attitude and who was helpful.

I think it's great that products like the F8 are coming out and are attractively priced. Price is certainly important. For me - features, reliability, and support are also important.

-Tom
Old 2nd October 2015
  #106
Lives for gear
 
nobtwiddler's Avatar
Zoommmmmmmm

I have 2 of these locked together for 16 track recording.
Have done 2 live albums already.
1 - solo acoustic in a beautiful victorian library.
2 - live 3 piece rock band in small club

Will record 3rd live show tomorrow eve.

They sound great~!
Old 3rd October 2015
  #107
AB3
Lives for gear
 

How did you lock them together?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
I have 2 of these locked together for 16 track recording.
Have done 2 live albums already.
1 - solo acoustic in a beautiful victorian library.
2 - live 3 piece rock band in small club

Will record 3rd live show tomorrow eve.

They sound great~!
Old 3rd October 2015
  #108
Lives for gear
 
nobtwiddler's Avatar
BNC / SMPTE cable out from master to slave.
Then you need to set the slave to follow the master.
A few screen clicks and your off.
Could link more units as well.

Here's a (bad shot) of tonights rig. I'm set up on a small piano.
16 channel snake from the splitter.
Attached Thumbnails
new Zoom field recorder-dsc07911.jpg  

Last edited by nobtwiddler; 3rd October 2015 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: added pics
Old 2nd November 2015
  #109
Gear Nut
 

Here is an in depth review of the F8 from a users perspective.

Review - Zoom F8
Old 2nd November 2015
  #110
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
BNC / SMPTE cable out from master to slave.
Then you need to set the slave to follow the master.
A few screen clicks and your off.
Could link more units as well.

Here's a (bad shot) of tonights rig. I'm set up on a small piano.
16 channel snake from the splitter.
Do you have the 2 machines on the same wordclock? Or will the machine lock its sample rate to incoming TC?

p
Old 2nd November 2015
  #111
Lives for gear
 
nobtwiddler's Avatar
Ya know, just the BNC wordclock out of one into the other.

But I always set up each machine ahead of time, making sure they are set for the same SMPTE, Sample & bit rate, just in case.
I also do a basic set up for levels and panning ahead of every session, and the adjust accordingly at the gig.
Old 3rd November 2015
  #112
Lives for gear
 
Don S's Avatar
 

There seems to be a delay in stocking these. I can't find one!
Old 26th November 2015
  #113
Lives for gear
New review in Sound On Sound, the UK publication: Zoom F8
Old 16th December 2015
  #114
Lives for gear
 
JamesClark1991's Avatar
Don't suppose anyone knows how the pre-amps compare to the Zoom H6 pre-amps?
Old 18th December 2015
  #115
Lives for gear
 
JamesClark1991's Avatar
Slightly off topic, but if anyone is interested in the new Zoom F8 I've created a Facebook user's group for it here where people can share information/recordings etc - https://www.*********************1684448125168870/

Hopefully it'll pick up some members in the coming weeks/months

Also I found out that the backup record function on the F8 which records a track at 10dB less than the main audio track is based in the analogue domain. Meaning that although this unit doesn't have limiters you do have a quieter safety track to work with if something goes awry
Old 26th December 2015
  #116
Lives for gear
latest firmware release (V2.0) seems to have addressed a few issues raised here ?

"In the short period of time the new Zoom F8 has been available, we have received some great feedback. Here are 14 improvements that we think you’ll like…a lot.

1. Added Trim Knob option that enables adjusting fader/pan settings with input trim knobs.
2. Added the function of moving the previously recorded take to the new FALSE TAKE folder.
3. Expanded Function Shortcuts as well as Shortcut List Menu.
4. Added the function of selecting alphabet letters for the scene number.
5. Added Trim Link function for adjusting the input levels of multiple tracks simultaneously.
6. Added the function of editing track name in Meta data.
7. Added the function of showing track names on the level meters.
8. Added the function that enables selecting “Scene_***” for the format of take name.
9. Added the function of adjusting L/R track volume.
10. Added SOLO function that enables monitoring signals of specific tracks only during playback.
11. Added sound report function for exporting CSV format file including recorded take information, etc.
12. Changed the location of Next Take menu on MENU>REC>Next Take to MENU>META DATA (for next take).
13. Added the function of applying edits of the selected card to the other card when two SD cards are inserted.
14. Changed the track order of Poly WAV recorded files from Tr1, Tr2, …, Tr8, L, R to L, R, Tr1, Tr2, …, Tr8.

You can download the Zoom F8 Firmware v2.00 here: https://zoom-na.com/products/field-v...rder#downloads

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a very Happy Holiday, from your friends at Zoom"
Old 28th December 2015
  #117
Here for the gear
 
zoomofficial's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
latest firmware release (V2.0) seems to have addressed a few issues raised here ?

"In the short period of time the new Zoom F8 has been available, we have received some great feedback. Here are 14 improvements that we think you’ll like…a lot.

1. Added Trim Knob option that enables adjusting fader/pan settings with input trim knobs.
2. Added the function of moving the previously recorded take to the new FALSE TAKE folder.
3. Expanded Function Shortcuts as well as Shortcut List Menu.
4. Added the function of selecting alphabet letters for the scene number.
5. Added Trim Link function for adjusting the input levels of multiple tracks simultaneously.
6. Added the function of editing track name in Meta data.
7. Added the function of showing track names on the level meters.
8. Added the function that enables selecting “Scene_***” for the format of take name.
9. Added the function of adjusting L/R track volume.
10. Added SOLO function that enables monitoring signals of specific tracks only during playback.
11. Added sound report function for exporting CSV format file including recorded take information, etc.
12. Changed the location of Next Take menu on MENU>REC>Next Take to MENU>META DATA (for next take).
13. Added the function of applying edits of the selected card to the other card when two SD cards are inserted.
14. Changed the track order of Poly WAV recorded files from Tr1, Tr2, …, Tr8, L, R to L, R, Tr1, Tr2, …, Tr8.

You can download the Zoom F8 Firmware v2.00 here: https://zoom-na.com/products/field-v...rder#downloads

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a very Happy Holiday, from your friends at Zoom"
Hello all,

Thanks for doing my job for me Studer58!

A thank you to everyone who has given the F8 a try and gave us your thoughts. We hope you like our updates. We look forward to more in the future.

Best Regards
Samuel
Old 28th December 2015
  #118
Lives for gear
 

Shame it doesn't have AES inputs. Would make a nice 8ch backup bit bucket.
Old 28th December 2015
  #119
Lives for gear
 
Bruce Watson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Shame it doesn't have AES inputs. Would make a nice 8ch backup bit bucket.
Granted, this one should take 8 channels of digital AES inputs. That would be a really nice feature.

But without that, I would absolutely buy a separate box, without all the analog junk (no need for micpres, or ADCs, or any of the support circuits), that would be nothing more or less than a highly reliable AES 8 channel bit bucket. That's what I really need.

Yeah, I know. Not holding my breath.
Old 29th December 2015
  #120
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
... I would absolutely buy a separate box, without all the analog junk (no need for micpres, or ADCs, or any of the support circuits), that would be nothing more or less than a highly reliable AES 8 channel bit bucket.
Yes, I would too. I am also amazed that a simple AES input set tied to a HDD, without extraneous features, does not exist.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump