The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Record Plant Remote Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 28th March 2007
Gear interested

Haven't been here is quite awhile. What a surprise to see a thread on the old RPS White Truck!! I think I have the actual photo that was used in the "Rear Door Open" photo in my archives. The interior part of the picture is a color picture superimposed over a black and white shot of the exterior.

Glad to see DB posting here. I came to Record Plant in 1978 and became part of the remote team as soon as I walked in the door. The call of the road had me. I didn’t want to stay in the studio listening to a vocalist doing 30 takes of the same thing and then have to razor edit it into a good performance. Although I did learn allot about razor edits from Rod O'Brien when we worked on a live Don Novello (Father Guido Sarducci) comedy album. There were hundreds of them. Anyway I digress….

The one thing I had to learn the hard way was that not all consoles sound like API’s!!! Coming to the Record Plant as my first introduction to the wonderful world of recording, I just assumed all consoles had that warmth that the API’s are known for. It wasn’t until much later when I started working on other trucks and in other studios did I realize how lucky I was to have been surrounded by all that great analog equipment at RPS.

The White Truck (which is now Purple) and Record Plant Remote is alive and well and will be at Radio City on Friday where I’m recording Black Sabbath for a DVD. I still love the sound of my API and can’t think of ever replacing it.

That being said I must now confess that my new truck is all digital AES 96K with 96 inputs. This is being built for the TV work I find myself doing these days. Sort of an industry standard that I am begrudgingly building to keep up with Jones’s. I will keep my API truck for my purist clients who feel great audio starts with a good front end and a good Hard Disk System (Radar) to record it to.
Peace..
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by "DB" View Post
Found this picture that proves William was young once, but shorter than the average Agnello.
Good God. I think that Dave Reitzas is Williams love child. They could be twins born 20 years apart!!!!!

Great picture!
Attached Images
Record Plant Remote-images.jpg 
Old 30th March 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio View Post
Good God. I think that Dave Reitzas is Williams love child. They could be twins born 20 years apart!!!!!

Great picture!
I thought the same thing when I saw that JPG.
Old 30th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by "DB" View Post
Found this picture that proves William was young once, but shorter than the average Agnello.
Which room was that in? one of the 10th floor rooms?

The agnellos taught me how to shoot q-tips into the acoustic tile ceiling of the shop with shrink tube "straws" to keep me busy when coming to work with dad. I never thought about their state of mind until just now. they might have been a little high... I only say that because there were already hundreds of q-tips in the ceiling before 6 year old ryan arrived!

They also gave me strips of cable number stickers which I proceeded to stick on every imaginable surface, including the ceiling of my bedroom!

Ryan Hewitt
Old 2nd April 2007
Gear Nut

Studio "C"

Ryan, yeah, that would have been studio "C".
The hard part about the cue tips was having to sharpen the wooden end with a razor blade.
And then there was that time when Rob"ert" Agnello was drilling a hole in a board resting on his legs and drilled thru the board into his leg...
The shop:
Attached Thumbnails
Record Plant Remote-presto_oid.jpg  
Old 4th April 2007
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear interested

I was glad to see the name Jon Mathias on this site. His widow Jen is a close dear friend of mine. His daughter Schyler just celebrated her 18th birthday yesterday, Jon would be very proud of her.

The monitor speakers in my little studio were once his.

I'm wondering if there's any more info out there that I could offer his children to paint a clearer picture of him
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

I am going to revise this thread; near and dear to my old heart.

The reason I found this thread at all is, well. . .

Listening to Zappa at the Fillmore East, 1971. Liner notes say it was recorded with the Fedco truck. Went looking for images of that truck and of course, found pictures of the Record Plant Trucks.

I spent my time on both the White Truck and the original Black Truck. Counted among my friends many of the guys in the pictures above; Dave Hewett, Kooster McAllister, David Brown, Phil Gitomer, Robert Agnello, Paul Pestopino, Steve Barrish. Lots of stories.

321 W. 44th Street was one block from my apartment, and my commute to RPS was about two minutes. Spent a good deal of time in the shop and learned a lot of great skills from Paul and Robert. Always amazed at the work done by Jim Falconer who did the carpentry work in all the rooms. Beautiful. I learned that craft was important in all facets of audio recording. Walked past more than a few stars in the halls, was secretly in love with a number of front desk receptionists (!) and always felt special when I was admitted to that secret world at 321 W. 44th Street because they knew me.

Spent even more time in the basement of that building working with Doug Simon, the owner of Studio Consultants; soldering, wiring, and lots of deliveries to all the NYC studios, some piece of gear (think Bryston 4B amplifiers), blocks and blocks of walking towing a little folding 2-wheel cart.

Mr. Simon is one of the kindest most beautiful people I have ever met. I am honored even today knowing and working for him. Wow! I'm a bit verklempt.

Hoping that those who are still with us (RIP Jon Mathias) have as sweet the recollections as I do. What a lucky man I was for being associated with this fine bunch of folks.

D.

Oh, and the reel to reel above Dave H's head is a Ferrograph Super 7 which became mine at some point. Wish I still had it. It was a large tape machine in my tiny 4th floor walk-up.
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwatch View Post
Where is Ryan Hewitt?
Where the hell is Dave Swope?!?

This should get some sort of "wayback reincarnation award"

Is this the same Ryan H ? >>> https://www.soundonsound.com/video/ryan-hewitt
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58;12823561
Is this the same Ryan H ? >>> [URL="https://www.soundonsound.com/video/ryan-hewitt"
https://www.soundonsound.com/video/ryan-hewitt[/URL]
Yes.

D.
Old 1st September 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
321 W. 44th Street was one block from my apartment, and my commute to RPS was about two minutes.
Wow. I used to work at 460 W. 42, and would hike over to RP and make slave tapes. I was there enough that Roy Cicala tried to send me on an errand.

When either or both of the trucks were outside with a giant "umbilical cord" between the building and the truck, it sort of evoked a Rock and Roll romance of the high seas. The far-off lands those trucks had seen, and the tales they could tell, and all that. While I was two blocks over making Hasbro commercials.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi! I'm Elkin Rodriguez, from Colombia.

I'm doing my final degree project, in the music and sound engineering career at the university. It's about recording, editing and mixing live 5 songs of a rock band in a concert; Trying to approach the aesthetics of the 80s. Two key areas are mobile recording and studio mixing. I have been researching this in books, forums, articles, publications, and I have found some references regarding certain workflows and equipment used at that time, which I have been considering for their use.

However, I've noticed that most of the people who made history in the mobile recording are in this thread! And I am based on the experience of the Black Truck.

Could you help me about how you usually used the Black Truck equipment? This is the information that I have:

- API Console with 212L MicPre & EQ 550 - 560
- Comps: Urei 1176 (x4) - LA3A (x2) - dbx 160 (x2)
- FX: Did you use any FX? AMS Neve? Echo Tape?
- Did you use Pultec EQ's? (I see one in a David Hewitt Photo).
- Tape Multitrack Recording: Ampex 1200.
- Miking: Which microphones did they usually use in rock? I have SM57, MD421, Akg D12, C451, KM184 (hihat). This info comes from the recording of purple rain, Prince.
- Did you use some Neve Gear in something?

I would be very honored if you can tell me a little more about that time and quote you in my final document and presentation. I hope I have not bothered you. All that I found has been on internet, because in my country it's not easy to communicate with primary sources of my research, as you are.

Thank you!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search