The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
waves tracks live multitrack app Utility Plugins
Old 3rd February 2015
Lives for gear

waves tracks live multitrack app

Hmm, this pretty much looks like exactly what I need..

Tracks Live – Multitrack Recording Software | Waves
Old 9th March 2015
Gear Maniac
Available now. I just did my first virtual soundcheck last night so this is timely. I am going to load it up and see what is going on this afternoon if I can. Not sure exactly what the business model is. Is it free to use with limited features or does it cost $99? It isn't clear from the web site.

Edit: Appears to be free to use, no license needed to install or run. I like the interface and simple, effective set of controls. It's not a full fledged DAW, but a lightweight tracking and playback tool. It runs well once it is set up, but boy does it hate the Focusrite Scarlett drivers I just installed, as that is the only audio interface I have here at work. I had to uninstall the Scarlett MixStation software, but Tracks is still running extremely buggy. I will try other interfaces when I get the chance.

Last edited by Chip Booth; 9th March 2015 at 07:07 PM..
Old 9th March 2015
Lives for gear

Are you on Mac? The trash preferences script that comes with the installer could help.
Old 9th March 2015
Gear Maniac
No, a cheap Win7 64bit laptop.
Old 9th March 2015
Quote:
Is it free to use with limited features or does it cost $99? It isn't clear from the web site.
It is free. You pay the $99 for customer service and a copy of their virtual rack software.

They are also giving away their source code for you programmers who would like to make improvements.
Old 9th March 2015
Lives for gear

Looks and feels very promising, it's basically exactly what I was looking for.
The main thing it lacks now for me is that I would like to use an audio input as LTC timecode source.
Right now it only reads MTC
I've been told the feature is coming soon, so that's good..

I'm going to test it for now using this app http://figure53.com/lockstep/ as software LTC to MTC converter.

Last edited by huub; 9th March 2015 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: added stuff
Old 9th March 2015
Motown legend

Contrary to salesjerk mythology, there's nothing less accurate about MIDI time code. There have been idiot developers who didn't understand it needs to be locked to the audio clock but the same is true of LTC.
Old 10th March 2015
Lives for gear

So this is sorta like Boom Recorder then?
Old 10th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Contrary to salesjerk mythology, there's nothing less accurate about MIDI time code. There have been idiot developers who didn't understand it needs to be locked to the audio clock but the same is true of LTC.
That's not the issue for me, it's just inconvenient. I always have LTC available but need an ltc>mtc converter for mtc.

The Bwav timestamp is only written in the beginning of the file.
I care about driftless sync (audio being clocked to video) but don't care about the timestamp being a few miliseconds off.

Last edited by huub; 10th March 2015 at 10:27 AM..
Old 10th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spark View Post
So this is sorta like Boom Recorder then?
Yes, but with a timeline and markers so way easier to use for playback.

It also can trigger midi at markers, so I think it's also designed with playing back backing tracks in mind.
Old 10th March 2015
Gear Addict

Converts audio files on import to 44.1 rather than leaving them at the recorded 96
Old 10th March 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHenry View Post
Converts audio files on import to 44.1 rather than leaving them at the recorded 96
I imported 48K files and it wanted to convert them. I checked and the session was set to 44.1 by default. Changing the system settings in the session menu allowed to me to import them without conversion.
Old 10th March 2015
Gear Maniac
Well, no luck for me with this so far. Today I tried to hook it up to my X32 via it's ASIO USB driver. It won't connect from the main menu, I get an error msg. The only way I could get it to work was to open a saved session then change the settings. I uninstalled all the Presonus drivers completely, no luck, deleted and reinstalled Tracks fresh. Still, about half of the time it won't open a session even with no audio device attached without crashing. Bummer.

Last edited by Chip Booth; 11th March 2015 at 03:38 PM..
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

So we're a few months in since this software was released. Any reports? How's the LTC on an audio input support working?

--Ben
Old 8th October 2015
Lives for gear

If this can turn out to be "Boom Recorder for Pc' then that's a great thing. But if yr on a mac I'd still recommend Boom Recorder. Great support, ongoing development, very reliable etc.. I wish it ran on PCs
Old 11th November 2015
Here for the gear

Tracks pissing me off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Booth View Post
Well, no luck for me with this so far. Today I tried to hook it up to my X32 via it's ASIO USB driver. It won't connect from the main menu, I get an error msg. The only way I could get it to work was to open a saved session then change the settings. I uninstalled all the Presonus drivers completely, no luck, deleted and reinstalled Tracks fresh. Still, about half of the time it won't open a session even with no audio device attached without crashing. Bummer.

Just purchased this...I wanted the multirack anyway and it came free with purchase of Tracks live. I had the same issue at home with my x32. I am going to upgrade firmware later tonight to see if that fixes it.

I was able to get it to connect to one of our x32's at work and it did record the waveform but when I was trying to play it back to see how it sounded I could not get **** to play. This was in my office not connected to mixer. Trying to figure out whats up with it.
Old 14th October 2018
Here for the gear

Has anybody used the waves tracks live in a live recording setting especially 96kHz and above for 16 tracks aggregate core audio using a Mac?

The software looks very good. Does it run well without glitches etc.?

I know just abiut any DAW will work, but a simple tracking only software looks very appealing.

Thanks
Old 14th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgould View Post
Has anybody used the waves tracks live in a live recording setting especially 96kHz and above for 16 tracks aggregate core audio using a Mac?

I know just abiut any DAW will work, but a simple tracking only software looks very appealing.

Thanks
I’ve used it several times, once catching 48-50ish channels via a MADI interface, most frequently via Dante, and even a few times via a USB or FireWire interface. So far so good, rock solid. It will lock to a timecode signal on an audio input which is a nice feature when needed. I’ve had very positive experiences.
Old 15th October 2018
Gear Addict

32 channels via DVS here. Very stable and glitch free.
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgould View Post

Thanks
Aggregate core audio is never a good idea.
When tracking a lot (128+) of channels at 48 Khz aggregate is 100% unreliable in my experiments, at lower channelcounts it's probably hit or miss.
It's also a bit buggy, you sometimes have to switch clockmaster back and forth for example.

I wouldn't do it personally.

Huub
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

I work with a Digigrid/Waves LV1 system with a server one and a custom built PC. My studio one 3.5 DAW multi-tracks FP32/96K perfectly. It's the best integrated system I have owned or ever used over a very long career in live SR and studio recording.
Hugh
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear
Angry

Tracks Live has simplicity going for it, but many aspects are quite clunky.

For example, it takes FOREVER to import tracks, because it RENDERS your files AGAIN, doubling the file space.

It really doesn’t handle importing or renaming well at all, things really fall apart when you try to do that.

It’s basically a skin of Ardour that hasn’t receive a lick of attention in years. Could easily be better.
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

I have direct input from my Digico "D" pres to my Studio One DAW that enables simultaneous capture in live performance or studio tracking. Tracks Live is a built in option that is a long way from the full opportunities available with a Digigrid/WavesLV1 system that is matched up with a computer that has dual HDs that can accommodate processing along with a DAW.
I worked with An ADL600 & UA 4-710d pres and a RME UFX interface for my DAW for 10 years and the Waves system has replaced all of it: the sonic quality improvement was stunning!
Hugh
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I tried Tracks Live when it was first released, and uninstalled it shortly after when it couldn't address the large channel count of a MadifaceXT without crashing.

Recently, I was happy to see the latest version is much improved in many aspects. Not recording but, I have employed it as a play-out machine for a 4K video installation. The video media player is stereo audio only, so LTC on said player is being chased by Tracks Live with a 7.1 surround mix. I found it very accomodating and solid in it's LTC sync (much better than Reaper or Sequoia), and it's being running reliably non stop for a couple of months now (touch wood!).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search