The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

suggestions on small format broadcast desks?
Old 7th December 2006
Lives for gear

Talking suggestions on small format broadcast desks?

Hi Guys,

I have noticed more and more people talknig about using broadcast desks with their DAW's. I think it would make sense for me to get a small format desk, with about 8-12 tracks.
I'm hoping to use it as mic pres on the way in and for summing and some sub group mixing.

I had my eye on some on ebay but none really fit the bill (audio developments,audix, etc).
I'm running a mainly mobile rig based round a powerbook and pro tools but am hoping to get my own space soon. I figure that where budget allows using the broadcast desk on longer album type location gigs wouldn't be too much of a drag to move around, and it would be beneficial, what with talkback extra pres etc.

So does anyone have recommendation for possibly overlooked names (and hopfully cheap!) and models which would suit?

Some basic 3 band eq would be cool and maybe sweepable mids if possible.

cheers
Old 7th December 2006
Lives for gear

how much is "cheap" to you?
Old 7th December 2006
Gear Addict

Again... EMT or Pacific Research!

You can't miss the quality by getting them! Monsters!
Old 7th December 2006
Lives for gear

How cheap is cheap is the question!

I suppose about 500gbp, probably not enough really but we'll see.

cheers
Old 7th December 2006
Lives for gear

Any links to pacific and emt websites? I've googled them but haven't been able to find any official homepages
Old 7th December 2006
Lives for gear
deals in the UK

You may have some luck with Neve-built mid-1970's Calrec small console in portable case. I have an associate who owns one (ex-BBC World Service), and it's loaded with interesting-sounding parts.

I bet you pay less in Wales than he did in Los Angeles!

Karl
Old 7th December 2006
Lives for gear

The problem is here finding techs who can get things up and running!
Old 7th December 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by recall View Post
Any links to pacific and emt websites? I've googled them but haven't been able to find any official homepages
You should just Google up a little! There's no official sites there! Old good companies!
Old 7th December 2006
Lives for gear

amek bc2 or bc3
Old 8th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recall View Post
For Pacific Research, try googling "Harris" and "Pacific."
Old 8th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by perun View Post
Again... EMT or Pacific Research!

You can't miss the quality by getting them! Monsters!
I would vote for the forerunner to Pacific Research, which was called Pacific Recorders. Nice sounding analogue consoles, built like tanks.

Wheatstone/Audio Arts are great (the analogue ones), and Audiometrics is pretty good, too..
Old 8th December 2006
Lives for gear
the BC series is pretty damn heavy. My BC3 feels like its 150-200 lbs. It has 16 mono and 4 stereo with 4 bus. Sounds nice though. Maybe you could find and even smaller one.
Old 8th December 2006
studer has been used in tv- and radio-studios all over europe for a long time. i got a 12 channel 089 from the dumpster outside a tv-station. perfect for DAW.

maybe you could send out e-mails to stations asking if they´re about to upgrade equipment. tell them what you´re looking for without being too specific. some of these people don´t have a clue about the value of old gear.
Old 8th December 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioMoo View Post
I would vote for the forerunner to Pacific Research, which was called Pacific Recorders. Nice sounding analogue consoles, built like tanks..
Yes they are. GREAT! I have full system at home... Pacific Recorders&Engineering PMX-28 (biggest frame, their best analog console) plus digital section on the right of it, fully automatized, with digital EQs, routing options and control for ADX-8, their built-like-tank HD recording/editing system!!! Offcourse, I own ADX, too... It really rocks, weights a ton and sounds great! So, together they make really rare and interesting system that sounds great, very big and punchy, pretty like our SSL in the studio... So, you just can not miss buying PRE... American Rolls.

Cheers!

P.S. I wrote Pacific Research in previous post, but was thinking of the beast I have at home- Pacific Recorders & Engineering.
Old 8th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by perun View Post
Pacific Research!

I think you mean Pacific Recorders
Old 8th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgrill View Post
studer has been used in tv- and radio-studios all over europe for a long time. i got a 12 channel 089 from the dumpster outside a tv-station. perfect for DAW.

maybe you could send out e-mails to stations asking if they´re about to upgrade equipment. tell them what you´re looking for without being too specific. some of these people don´t have a clue about the value of old gear.

Up Yours!!

arrgh.!

nice find.
Old 8th December 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Cibley View Post
I think you mean Pacific Recorders

Read my last post above yours!
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

You can get Sony broadcast desks for peanuts and they actually sound great.
My MXP210 cost me £100 NEW.

Not mine, but the same...
Attached Thumbnails
suggestions on small format broadcast desks?-mixer-de-audio-sony-mxp-210-8-canales_mla-f-2806352431_062012.jpg  
Old 13th October 2012
Lots of places have broadcast desks for very little money.

I bought two Audiotronics consoles from our local PBS station for $300. 12 inputs four outputs. One was a dog and had problems but I was able to salvage enough parts to make one good console. I used it for two years and then sold it to a friend.

I also bought a Wheatstone console for $200. It was missing a lot of channels so I sold off the parts on Ebay. Too bad it was in such bad shape I bet it was a really nice console at one time. Belonged to VOA.

There are lots of auction sites that deal with broadcast gear and many PBS and NPR stations have sales once a year to clear out their excess inventory.

A couple of years ago a good friend was working for a local TV station and they just gave him the old audio control board when they upgraded. I think it was a Sphere.

Best of Luck!
Old 13th October 2012
Gear Maniac

I have a Sony mxp61 in the UK that I would consider selling. I have never had the time to investigate it fully and it could probably use a service but it is all modular and built like a tank.
Old 13th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejoe View Post
I have a Sony mxp61 in the UK that I would consider selling. I have never had the time to investigate it fully and it could probably use a service but it is all modular and built like a tank.
Very nice desks..
Old 13th October 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Very nice desks..
So they say. I've never actually had a chance to use it! Its just been sat there for about 5 years. I'm all in the box these days.
Old 13th October 2012
Gear Addict

The Sony desks in their day were good but things have come a long way since then, even the modern Behringer or Mackie desks work better than an old Sony desk. (One feature the Sony desks had that is not often seen these days is they can be run from 12v DC which is great for location work).

The Allen & Heath ZED series work well as broadcast style desks.
ZED Series | ALLEN & HEATH // WORLD CLASS MIXING
Old 14th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzGizmo View Post
The Sony desks in their day were good but things have come a long way since then, even the modern Behringer or Mackie desks work better than an old Sony desk. (One feature the Sony desks had that is not often seen these days is they can be run from 12v DC which is great for location work).

I agree on the ZED, but the Sony's are better than ANY Mackie or Behringer I have seen (build quality is miles apart, Sony made in USA stuff is top notch)
Old 14th October 2012
Lives for gear
Sonosax SX desks are dropping in used price due to the multitrack/matrix recorders now on film sets.
These are the bees knees of portables.
Old 14th October 2012
0VU
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzGizmo View Post

I agree with dlmorley about the Sony desks being generally better built than any Mackie or Behringer. The MXP 61 was the "portable" unit in their serious/top range desk lineup and is up with the very best in build quality and sounds pretty good too. It was also available with some proper 'broadcast desk' features/options.

I'm slightly curious about what makes the A+H ZEDs "broadcast style"? I had a quick look at a few of them but couldn't see any fader start options, clean feed busses, comms or telco channels, facilities to listen to multiple external monitor inputs or to individually drive and talk to multiple pairs of speakers or headphones, nor any proper metering or other 'broadcast' specific facilities. Or anything else to mark them out as any more "broadcast desks" than any other fairly cheap non-modular compact mixer. Am I missing something or is 'broadcast desk' being used here as a bit more of a wide ranging definition than I'm used to?
Old 14th October 2012
Gear Maniac

Studer 961/962. Best portable broadcast boards ever built. Get the breakout box to avoid d-sub soldering. Operation/service manual is mandatory item or you are going to be scratching your head a lot.

Sound quality? Check out the early Telarc recordings.
Old 14th October 2012
Gear Maniac

I've just noticed the original post is from 2006!!!
I doubt the OP is still looking for a desk!
I might list mine on the classifieds, but I'm not sure for how much. It's a 12 into 2 VU version with the limiter on one of the outputs. Any thoughts?
Old 15th October 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeng View Post
Studer 961/962. Best portable broadcast boards ever built. Get the breakout box to avoid d-sub soldering. Operation/service manual is mandatory item or you are going to be scratching your head a lot.

Sound quality? Check out the early Telarc recordings.
Or any of the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra/MTT Mahler cycle. The Tritonus guys mixed 36ch live through Studers to 2 tracks. great sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search