The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
early music polyphony with vocal quintet Condenser Microphones
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear
I like a lot the Youtube Morales.

For Aus tiefer Not, I hear too much spots. For me it's not very natural. But I know it's not easy to balance such an ensemble !
Old 28th September 2017
Sample sounds lovely. Thanks for sharing.
Old 28th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathieujm View Post
For Aus tiefer Not, I hear too much spots. For me it's not very natural. But I know it's not easy to balance such an ensemble !
What you hear is 100% main pair M150s. Spots are muted here. The most natural balance you'll get.
Singers and brass were sharing music stands, but brass players are standing 1 step behind the singers. Balance was easy to refine by moving the music stands: Soprano 20cm to the front, Alto 10cm backwards etc...
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Nice recording ! Sounds big and airy.
I understand how the HF boost&directivity of the M150 could be mistaken for spot microphones. That would be the only minor criticism on an otherwise great recording. Maybe if you would be able to tame those "s" and "ch" sounds a tiny little bit without sacrifying the openness of your recording, you would have perfection ! It is not that they are too loud, but due to the directivity, they sound closer-dryer.

Now I have to go and order those spheres for our Sonodore mics
Old 29th September 2017
Gorgeous.
Old 29th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apotheosis View Post
What you hear is 100% main pair M150s. Spots are muted here. The most natural balance you'll get.
Very nice work, well done. M150's certainly deliver.

Quote:
Singers and brass were sharing music stands, but brass players are standing 1 step behind the singers. Balance was easy to refine by moving the music stands: Soprano 20cm to the front, Alto 10cm backwards etc...
Excellent way to balance.
Old 9th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Another approach for another piece (not in double choir and with only 5 singers instead of 6 in the previous sample):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5FiZr00Ieg
In the final mix, again, no spot microphones were on.
Old 3rd November 2017
Gear Maniac

Sorry for digging this up again -- the ensemble just released a video where you can see some various setups, including the positioning where brass players and singers share music stands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jETmhFuA5Aw
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search