The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , , ,

8kVa UPS & iso transformer near my hard drives?
Old 16th December 2003
urumita

Question 8kVa UPS & iso transformer near my hard drives?

I have an 8kVa on line double conversion UPS and an Iso transformer that I want to put in a sheilded (copper screen and leadsheet strapped to ground) FlightCase. It would only be shielded on 4 of the 6 sides (the front and back will remain open for cabling access). Normally this will sit in the machine room next to my ventilated computer rack that has a FibreChannel SAN, 2 computers, A PCI Expansion chassis with hard drives, a DVD/CD duplicator etc... it will weigh about 600 lbs
Before I have this FlightCase built I was wondering if the magnetic field created by the various components of the UPS and the iso trans could effect the functioning of my nearby computer rig(?).
Number one fear, erasing clients recordings thus having a non functioning studio.
Number 2, failure phenomenon related to electromagnetic disturbance
What steps should I take to prevent these problems if they would exist?
Old 17th December 2003
Gear Maniac

Re: 8kVa UPS & iso transformer near my hard drives?

For a transformer that size, I would have at the very least 2 metres of separation. I keep all of my UPS'es at least 3 feet from my computers. ...will do a bit of research and get back to you, so it's not just sueprstitous activity!

NYC Drew
Old 17th December 2003
urumita

Thanks NYCDrew,
I'll have to set this up on location also, I'm hoping to shield it and wondering also if I don't shield the lids of a normal type rack would this completely defeat my shielding attempts.
Before this I had a much smaller unit and balanced power unit and I didn't worry.
I'm not really sure if this could be a problem, that's why I'm asking.
How many Gauss does this thing produce and how many Gauss at which distance would produce a problem for the hard disks or the chips.
I am thinking that I'll have to build a special container for the monster, as my wife calls it, fully shielded and ventilated. Am I paranoid?
Any information about someone who does this type of consultation would be useful and appreciated. thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search