The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Zoom H5 Review Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 11th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
"With these devices"

Well Steve, it depends on how well they are engineered. The digital frequency sound you're hearing is frequently called "zipper noise" because when done quickly it sort of sounds like a zipper. I refer to this in my review.

It's caused by gain going up or down in digital stair steps. It can be engineered not to zipper, but how much effort is required and what to do is above my pay grade. There was a TASCAM unit out a few years back that had zipper noise. A firmware upgrade got rid of it….in that particular case.

If you were feeding the recorder from a mixer, and changed gain on the mixer, there would be no zipper noise. Make sense?

Regards,

Ty Ford
The H6 has the "zipper noise" too, but you can only hear it on a steady tone and you have listen carefully.

The level is changed in 0.6db steps.

I have noticed a click when the level control passes the 3 mark.

John.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search