The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mono is better than Stereo Studio Monitors
Old 4th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
David, I have a nice pair of KEF 104/2's and a lovely pair of SoundLab electrostatics. The SoundLabs are luscious. They are my second set. The other set, Pristines, is on loan to some musician friends.

SOUND LAB
Old 4th July 2016
Gear Addict

by the same logic, if one track is better than two, zero track must be even better than one. Really?!
Old 4th July 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseetoo View Post
by the same logic, if one track is better than two, zero track must be even better than one. Really?!
Zero track is live music, the animal we're all chasing with microphones....it doesn't get any better than that, the real thing...zero track, it can't be tracked.
Old 4th July 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
When I am at an acoustic concert I get the wide spread of sound in a 3-D or stereo image. When I hear it at home I would like as close an approximation to this as possible. (Reginald) De Koven was a great advocate of mono but he had other idiosyncracies, too. But the article that Nathan Shirley posted is all BS and poppycock.
Me too, boojum. I find a wide spread of sound and a sense of spaciousness in playback very satisfying. I want to feel and hear the hall recreated as closely as possible.

Last edited by shosty; 4th July 2016 at 05:07 PM..
Old 4th July 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Zero track is live music, the animal we're all chasing with microphones....it doesn't get any better than that, the real thing...zero track, it can't be tracked.
Well that depends, there are just so many variables. Listening at the live event could have room issues, noise issues, many other things affecting the sound you are hearing. Depending on the quality of the recording of the event, the playback system, and the room you are listening in, the sound of the playback could be better. Though you miss the element of being there.

Studio performances are impossible to hear live if there is any overdubbing going on. You can only hear a piece of it at a time, not the final assembled result.

Such a record is like a movie, where you are watching a production assembled from many pieces. Is this better or worse than a live performance? It is different.
Old 4th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
David, I have a nice pair of KEF 104/2's and a lovely pair of SoundLab electrostatics. The SoundLabs are luscious. They are my second set. The other set, Pristines, is on loan to some musician friends.

SOUND LAB
Soundlabs look good!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search