The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags:

power supply for remote recording
Old 9th November 2006
Gear Nut

Talking power supply for remote recording

lets say i'm sat on a mountain, eating a nice sandwich, and happen to have my macbook and metric halo 2882, mics etc.

then this 2 foot long cricket comes along starts making this awesome racket, and a kimodo dragon jumps out of the bushes and attacks it, this enormous fight insuse and i want to record it.

can i use a macbook/pro and a metric halo running off the bus power, but would the internal HD be fast enough to record up to 8ch of audio? (surround or multi channel etc) 96k/24, am i dreaming?

what about if i got an external firewire drive? how would i power it. stike
Old 9th November 2006
Lives for gear

It depends on what kind of sandwich it is.
Old 9th November 2006
Here for the gear

it's not that much...

8 channels of audio is really not that much to be recording, even at 96/24. The problem with just using one hard drive is that if you are writing those 8 files all at once, while reading the programs that you are running off the same disk, then maybe you could run into problems.

There are plenty of bus powered hard drives out there, if you want to go that way, just pick one. Here's one from LaCie (http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10833) that would do the trick, there are some firewire ones out there if you must have firewire, but USB 2.0 is *technically* faster than firewire 400. Not trying to start a debate over the two.

Either way, 8 channels is not a lot, i would calculate that you would need a sustained 18.5 (ish) Mbps write to your disk (24 bits/sample * 96000 samples/sec * 8 channels). Most 5400 rpm drives (assuming your laptop is one of those or higher) shouldn't have trouble doing that for extended periods of time.

Last edited by DaInGaIlToAgL; 9th November 2006 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: Assuming you are only running your audio app while doing this recording...
Old 9th November 2006
Gear Nut

nice thanks, i'll look into the Lacie.

oh, yes it would most likely be a:
Bacon
Egg
Tomato
on Wholegrain sandwich.

would that help?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search