The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

om1 vs dpa 4060 Condenser Microphones
Old 24th April 2014
om1 vs dpa 4060

Dear Gearslutz!

I used Soundfield SPS422 only for more than 10 years.
Occasionally I rented some gear.

just bought a used DAV BG8. Now it's time to think about microphones.
my budget is low.

I won't buy mikes that I can rent
so no royer R121, or cardios from Sennheiserneumann, schoeps, DPA, or DPA 4006
KM133

I want to record Organ and piano/voice, chamber music.

what 's best quality ?
specwise and budgetwise I think OM1 is better,
what about the sound?

DPA 4060 @ 330 Euro

Directional characteristics: Omnidirectional
Principle of operation: Pressure
Cartridge type: Pre-polarized condenser element with vertical diaphragm
Frequency range, ± 2 dB: Soft boost grid: 20 Hz – 20 kHz, 3 dB soft boost at 8 – 20 kHz. High boost grid: 20 Hz – 20 kHz, 10 dB boost at 12 kHz.
Sensitivity, nominal, ±3 dB at 1 kHz: 20 mV/Pa; -34 dB re. 1 V/Pa
Equivalent noise level A-weighted: Typ. 23 dB(A) re. 20 µPa (max. 26 dB(A))
Equiv. noise level ITU-R BS.468-4: Typ. 35 dB (max. 38 dB)
S/N ratio, re. 1 kHz at 1 Pa (94 dB SPL): 71 dB(A)
Total harmonic distortion (THD): < 1 % THD up to 123 dB SPL peak; < 1 % THD up to 120 dB SPL RMS sine
Dynamic range: Typ. 100 dB
Max. SPL, peak before clipping: 134 dB
Output impedance: 30 – 40 ohm
Cable drive capability: Up to 300 m (984 ft)
Power supply: For wireless For wireless systems: Min. 5 V – max. 50 V through DPA adapter. With DAD6001-BC/DAD6024/DAD4099: 48 V phantom power ±4 V for full performance.
Connector: MicroDot
Color: Black, beige, brown or white
Microphone weight: 7.5 g (0.26 oz) incl. cable and MicroDot connector
Microphone diameter: 5.4 mm (0.21 in)
Microphone length: 12.7 mm (0.5 in)
Cable length: 1.8 m (5.9 ft)
Polarity: Positively increasing sound pressure produces positive going voltage on MicroDot pin
Temperature range: -40 °C to 45 °C (-40 °F to 113 °F)
Relative Humidity (RH): Up t 90%

OR

Line Audio OM1 @ 100 EURO
Type: Condenser microphone (permanently biased 10mm capsule)
Polar pattern: Omni
Frequency response: 20-20000Hz +-1dB (on-axis, at 1m distance, 1/12 octave narrow smoothing, 23 C)
Phantom power: 12 - 48V (P48 recommended for best performance)
Current consumption: 4 mA
Impedance: <100 Ohm
Sensitivity: 8mV/PA -42dB
S/N ratio (DIN/CCIR): 76dB(A)/66dB
Noise level: 18dB(A)
Max SPL: 133dB @0.5% THD ([email protected], 120dB @ 12V)
Size: 77mm x 20mm
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear
4060s can be a little noisy ,but they sound fab in the right place and can be hidden anywhere.
You can buy em used from shows on EBay.
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

I know that 4060s very occasionally come up on Ebay, but most of the used lavalier DPAs that list are the lower sensitivity 4061s and may well have been soaked in an unholy mixture of sweat and makeup. Plus you'll almost always have to re-terminate, which isn't that much fun and can be expensive.

As the owner of both, I'd say start with the OM1s. I love my 4060s for stealth recordings (and my 4061s for high-level stealth recordings) but the OM1s will give you far less trouble than used DPAs.

Regards,

John
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

Ditto Rolo. I own a pair of 4061s (often deployed inside grand piano, gaffed to acoustic guitar, foamed to cello or bass, used for vocal soloist spots, or as body mics in video capture... but usually in discrete AB on 25-100cm carbon fiber rods in choral/orchestral recording) run through Apogee or DAV mic amps, and have more problem with environmental noise (air handling, street noise) than any noticeable self-noise.

Test them both, side-by-side on the same source(s), make your choice as to what fits your needs better, and share your files and findings with us. I love a good comparison!

If I was buying for single-situation, I'd give the Line Audio a close look. Since my main AB pair is Gefell M296, I'm completely satisfied with the usefulness of the 4061s in my various and sundry "other" applications. YMMV.

HB
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsound View Post
I know that 4060s very occasionally come up on Ebay, but most of the used lavalier DPAs that list are the lower sensitivity 4061s and may well have been soaked in an unholy mixture of sweat and makeup. Plus you'll almost always have to re-terminate, which isn't that much fun and can be expensive.

As the owner of both, I'd say start with the OM1s. I love my 4060s for stealth recordings (and my 4061s for high-level stealth recordings) but the OM1s will give you far less trouble than used DPAs.

Regards,

John
You do have to be selective
I bought 2 4060s with cable extensions for 100 quid each
No make up on those, they had been used in a tv studio
Old 24th April 2014
Judging from he samples provided on the forum,
the 4060 sounds more open to me than the OM1

pricewise: what would be the next microphone
100 euro Line Audio OM1
330 euro DPA 4060

MBHO?
Old 19th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by monitor View Post
Judging from he samples provided on the forum,
the 4060 sounds more open to me than the OM1

pricewise: what would be the next microphone
100 euro Line Audio OM1
330 euro DPA 4060

MBHO?
i just bought CM3 and OM1 pairs.
it is better (less noise)as dpa and cheaper,
Old 8th August 2015
Gear Addict

I realize this is a very old thread, but this is the exact same purchase decision I'm in the midst of right now and I wonder if anyone has additional thoughts. I have and love the Line Audio CM3s, and was considering the OM1 to go with them replacing my Naiant omnis for Faulkner phased arrays or simply as an AB pair. I was prepared to buy them until I started listening to more of the 4060 samples posted here, and especially the choral samples on the DPA website.

Besides loving the sound of the 4060, I frequently find myself recording at greater-than-optimal distances, and the 4060 seems much better suited to diffuse-field work. I can always remove the grids entirely when up close as many have done, and I love the fact that with the two types of grids you can tune the treble response three different ways without EQ. On the other hand, the OM1 has a flat response which I feel will get dull over distance. The higher self-noise isn't really an issue for me, as I usually have to put all my recordings through Izotope RX due to noisy HVAC systems in the school auditoriums where I record.

There's the obvious price difference to consider, even given new OM1 vs used 4060. I have been wary about purchasing used 4060s for the reasons already stating here, especially the retermination, but also because the used ones I see are all singles and I am concerned that they would not match so well for a stereo pair. I did email DPA to ask what the acceptable variance in sensitivity and response is for their single mics vs. those sold in the SMK kits but have yet to hear back. Can anyone speak to this?

So far I haven't spent the $20 to access the Classified listings here, though I do see a couple 4060 stereo kits for sale and would put a lot more faith in how people here have treated their equipment vs. eBay.

Thoughts?
Old 9th August 2015
Lives for gear

I have the 4061's and the OM1's. I prefer the 4061's. The noise has not yet been a problem as ambient noise has always been worse. So it has been a moot point. The OM1 is a great mic but not up to the 4061. I would take the OM1 over a used 406n unless I could be sure, as was Rolo, that the 406n's were not damaged.

The 4061's have never let me down. They aways sound great. I have had them preferred to the 4006 TL's FWIW. YMMV and no animals were hurt in making these statements.

Cheers
Old 10th August 2015
Lives for gear
Yes the OM1 is very flat and perfect before the critical distance and then it can become dull. But I recorded a choir recently in a big reverberant church with them and it was very easy to eq and have great recording
Attached Files

Extrait Vexilla Regis.mp3 (3.01 MB, 2740 views)

Old 10th May 2018
Gear Nut

All I have before me at the moment is my MacBook Pro. Hardly high fidelity, but through its little speakers anyway this presents as fairly nicely balanced and smooth -save for the sopranos peaking over the fence here and there. I'm sure the basses I hear mostly only hints of here would come across much more fully on better speakers. Nicely done!

Monitor, are you still happy with your purchase? You said you thought the Line Audio mics were "better (less noise)" compared to the DPA's, but also felt the 4060's were "more open" than the OM1's. Curious to know your current take.

I've not used DPA's but I do have OM1's and CM3's. While they're not typically my main pair either (have used them for college recitals and church services, though), they will also certainly not diminish the overall quality when used in a supporting role.

High quality construction -amazing at the price point, actually,- hand made in Sweden (with love? ), very good as section / spot mics as needed, they are certainly capable of producing some very respectable recordings on their own as a main pair (as mathieujm has well shown); but I have no hesitation using them in conjunction with my various Neumann's, Neumann-Gefell, Blue's, AKG's, Josephson's...

Along with Monitor's feedback, I'd be interested in hearing from others actually using OM1's / CM3's with the likes of DPA's, Schoeps, etc., but my feeling is they'd blend in quite well.

My two cents.
Old 16th May 2018
I would prefer Rode NT45-o over both options. Lower noise and useful on-asix HF boost.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search