The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rode NT45-o - two classical stereo recordings
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Maniac

Rode NT45-o - two classical stereo recordings

Hi everybody,

I had an opportunity to test these nice mics on two different occasions.
First - pianoforte recording with a connected to it approach to create an image of the pianist pespective instead of a public point of view. Another one is a sample of a baroque orchestra recorded in a nice hall with two very good singers.
Recitativo plus a part of an aria.

Both recordings are concert recordings done with just a stereo couple of Rode NT45-o, with no editing. Spaced pair, distance between the mics of the first and second recording is almost the same around 60cm.

Enjoy,

Strad
Attached Files

prelude.mp3 (2.48 MB, 2279 views)

vivaldi.mp3 (2.85 MB, 2399 views)

Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

I think the mics perform well. The Vivaldi is easier to judge.

The piano recording is peculiar for several reasons.
1) Proximity is more "pop" in approach. The mechanism & key clicks can be a bit of a distraction.
2) The piano sounds old or poorly maintained. Is this a "period" instrument? I think the player has good fingers and right hand execution. Some of the mid strings get a bit lost / covered versus the low & high end of the instrument.

At the same time - I enjoyed the oddness of the piano's sound. I could imagine it in a film score use specifically because it has an unusual sound.

The Vivaldi has a good balance! I am surprised how clearly the harpsichord sounds in the mix. The singer is clearly upfront on the left too. Good ensemble balance. I like it!

If you are in a Vivaldi mood you might check out Max Richter's re-composotion of Vivaldi's Four Seasons. Out on the DG label. Really lovely and convincing treatment of the original musical ideas in a post-modern setting.

Best,
Sam
Old 1st April 2014
I still keep mine around. Some of my favorite orchestral outriggers. The sound is very smooth and rich and plays well with other, more detailed microphones. Unfortunately the omni capsules are not that well made. Mine both have physical problems like the internal metal ring falls out of one and the entire capsule is loose from its housing in the other. They still work though and are tight when screwed into the body.
Old 1st April 2014
Sam: this clearly is a pianoforte recording = historical piano replica. Sounds very accurately recorded to me. This amount of mechanical noise is what one would get in the audience as well (being a historical keyboard player myself, I know quite how these instruments work). I think the recording is excellent, and I think I even know the builder of the instrument and the player. Well done, M!

In Vivaldi, I find the orchestra slightly too distant compared to the soprano, perhaps a higher recording position would have made a better balance? I would have prefered a slightly wider spread as well, but with only two omni's, it is hard to get all of this in one shot. Good job!
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks for your comments.
About the piano recording - definitely my dear Apotheosis collegue describes it correctly, it is a original early 19-century instrument - pianoforte, the point of this recording was to make it sound as you were on the sit of the player - with the stereo spread, mechanics and finger noises you get with it as a gift of a "being there" feeling. Also the keyboard is seen opposite to the audience perspective - so you get the bass in the left and the upper register on the right side. The mid register sounds indeed a bit dark and unclear, but this is how piano was from this point of view.

Vivaldi was a concert recording where you face some balance issues which you cannot change. The ensemble had to sound right to the audience not fo the microphones, so the possibilities were limited. The singers were on the stage to the left of the microphone point of view and making the stereo spread wider would move them even more to the side, so here came the first compromise. Going further away was not possible, and going higher made the ensemble sound less in balance, so because I wanted anyway to make the recording just with a stereo pair and in purpose of a microphone test, these were some minor issues I could live with.

Hope my capsules will be more stable and reliable, and will be in service on many occasions since I'm really in kind of love with them.
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Maniac

Dear (K) Apotheosis,

The maker is Broadwood, but the restoration is coming from "there"

Hugs,

M
Old 1st April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
Unfortunately the omni capsules are not that well made. Mine both have physical problems like the internal metal ring falls out of one and the entire capsule is loose from its housing in the other. They still work though and are tight when screwed into the body.
I would mention this to your local distributor, or maybe even back to support at the factory in Oz. They do take their quality seriously. If they know about this problem already, they will fix it. If the problem is new to them, they would be keen to see them to work out what went wrong. Easy enough to ship a pair of replacement capsules.

I bought my NT-55 pair (non-matched) mainly because of the included omnis, but I use the cardioids in 'dangerous' situations like drum overheads. The NT-45's published response bears an amazing similarity to that of a KM183 ...
Old 1st April 2015
seriously good sounding recording!
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by panatrope View Post
I would mention this to your local distributor, or maybe even back to support at the factory in Oz. They do take their quality seriously. If they know about this problem already, they will fix it. If the problem is new to them, they would be keen to see them to work out what went wrong. Easy enough to ship a pair of replacement capsules.

I bought my NT-55 pair (non-matched) mainly because of the included omnis, but I use the cardioids in 'dangerous' situations like drum overheads. The NT-45's published response bears an amazing similarity to that of a KM183 ...
Just wondering if this (see post #3 above) was ever resolved or further investigated (Daniel ?)... or if other users of the Rode Omni capsule have experienced this. Mine seem fine, and are a very early pair (circa 2004).
Old 13th July 2019
Here for the gear

Glad this got bumped, I hadn't seen it before. Great recordings! I love hearing "player perspective" recordings like the pianoforte, just because they're not the norm for that style. And the Rodes did admirably for the chamber group. I agree with some comments that it would've been nice to have a little bit more direct orchestra sound, but hey, I know how it is--you get what you get sometimes!
Old 13th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Just wondering if this (see post #3 above) was ever resolved or further investigated (Daniel ?)... or if other users of the Rode Omni capsule have experienced this. Mine seem fine, and are a very early pair (circa 2004).
I contacted Rode, and they got me in touch with the local representative, who replaced the capsules at no charge. They worked fine until the mics were stolen two years ago.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear
Probably still working fine....
Old 14th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Probably still working fine....

Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
I'm sorry now for raising it Daniel....I hope you at least received some insurance compensation or replacement ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search