The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Nagra LB or Seven? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 19th December 2016
Lives for gear
Why is it mono ?
Old 19th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSUK View Post
Not sure if this will help, but I have include a link below (hoping that its not removed by Gearslutz) which is a recording made using my Nagra LB and AKG 414 XLS stereo pair. It was recorded at 96Ksps 24 bit but is reduced here to CD quality. I'm sorry but I don't have any samples from a seven, perhaps someone else does.

https://archive.org/details/011MassInCOp86Credo

Gary
BTW this link doesn't give me any access to the sample.
Old 7th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
LB is damn good sounding Preamp and AD and DA . It's in the neutral, yet not sterile camp of pres. I like esp. how it interprets midrange and the detail, esp. with higher sample rates is just beautiful. If Seven is even better...
I have just been amazed again at how clear and sweet the preamps in my Nagra 4.2 tape machine sound (QPSE XO YO-2000). From what i know about Nagra i can imagine that some basic characteristics remain similar... and have even read somewhere the AD conversion sounds similar to the tape 'sound' - again clear but sweet/musical?

Now there's a Nagra LB for a little less than 2000 dollars for sale and i'm tempted to sell all kinds of stuff in hopes of getting my hands on it...

One thing i can't figure out is mic input gain -

Input level adjustment range 44 dB Mic and from -6 to +24 dB Line, it says in the manual... but i could never translate the Nagra style specs.

On my 4.2 mic input gain even at 12-13 clock is enough to drive an AEA 44 ribbon mic, may i ask if the gain on the LB is enough for that type of mic? Sorry i'm zilch at tech!

(And i hope this is not too stupid - but would it be possible to record say on the left track and then 'overdub' on the right one? I looked through the whole manual but couldn't find any reference...)

My aim would be simply to record music at high sample rate, then later transfer to PC/DAW.

Many thanks for any input!
Old 12th December 2018
Lives for gear

Oh, sorry for not responding sooner. I never really thought about how much dB the pres are doing, just that it was always enough and for very very quiet sources there is some little extra noise once you're past like 6-7 mark.

No you can't record to one file in two passes. At least to my knowledge.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search