The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Nagra LB or Seven? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 19th December 2016
Lives for gear
Why is it mono ?
Old 19th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSUK View Post
Not sure if this will help, but I have include a link below (hoping that its not removed by Gearslutz) which is a recording made using my Nagra LB and AKG 414 XLS stereo pair. It was recorded at 96Ksps 24 bit but is reduced here to CD quality. I'm sorry but I don't have any samples from a seven, perhaps someone else does.

https://archive.org/details/011MassInCOp86Credo

Gary
BTW this link doesn't give me any access to the sample.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
LB is damn good sounding Preamp and AD and DA . It's in the neutral, yet not sterile camp of pres. I like esp. how it interprets midrange and the detail, esp. with higher sample rates is just beautiful. If Seven is even better...
I have just been amazed again at how clear and sweet the preamps in my Nagra 4.2 tape machine sound (QPSE XO YO-2000). From what i know about Nagra i can imagine that some basic characteristics remain similar... and have even read somewhere the AD conversion sounds similar to the tape 'sound' - again clear but sweet/musical?

Now there's a Nagra LB for a little less than 2000 dollars for sale and i'm tempted to sell all kinds of stuff in hopes of getting my hands on it...

One thing i can't figure out is mic input gain -

Input level adjustment range 44 dB Mic and from -6 to +24 dB Line, it says in the manual... but i could never translate the Nagra style specs.

On my 4.2 mic input gain even at 12-13 clock is enough to drive an AEA 44 ribbon mic, may i ask if the gain on the LB is enough for that type of mic? Sorry i'm zilch at tech!

(And i hope this is not too stupid - but would it be possible to record say on the left track and then 'overdub' on the right one? I looked through the whole manual but couldn't find any reference...)

My aim would be simply to record music at high sample rate, then later transfer to PC/DAW.

Many thanks for any input!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search