The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

HAPI, Son of Horus Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd December 2014
Lives for gear

I'm told it will be possible with the new driver in January.
Old 23rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseetoo View Post
Few weeks ago, I tried to demo the Horus system. Got the hardware in hand but at the last minute before the session was about to start I discovered that Merging does not support Windows8/8.1 OS. According to Independent Audio Inc, Merging decided that W8 is a "transitional" OS therefore there would be no support for the current OS until next OS comes out. I have been using W8.1 since it came out and benefited from the new OS so much that I would never go back to W7 again. Unfortunately, the demo never happened…

I guess nobody in the audio business is using W8/8.1? Am I the only one who uses W8.1?

Best regards,

Da-Hong
Hello Da-Hong,

I am pleased to report that PMX9 actually installs fine on Windows 8.1.
You just have to turn off that silently introduced Driver Signature Verification, as described here.
How to Disable Driver Signature Verification on 64-Bit Windows 8.1 (So That You Can Install Unsigned Drivers)

Old 24th December 2014
Gear Head
ADA8

Hi,

I am quite nosy about the horus and the announced ADA8 (8 channel AD/DA with preamps) Card.
Is this Card available? Can only find few Information on the web. merging
What Price?
P Version also offered?

DAW:
Has anybody already used Reaper DAW with Hapi?

Question to Mytek 8x192 and Hapi/Horus owners:
As I own a 8x192 and love the Headphoneamp, Is Headphoneamp of Hapi in same league?

Erich T.

p.s. Anybody using Hapi in Switzerland?
Old 24th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Hello Da-Hong,

I am pleased to report that PMX9 actually installs fine on Windows 8.1.
You just have to turn off that silently introduced Driver Signature Verification, as described here.
How to Disable Driver Signature Verification on 64-Bit Windows 8.1 (So That You Can Install Unsigned Drivers)

Hi David,

I am glad to hear that PMX9 is working under W8 for you. However, the problem I was having a while back was that I simply couldn't install supplied ASIO driver correctly under W8, as I am a Sequoia user so PMX has very little relevancy to my workflow. I guess PMX9 has its own built-in native driver for Horus. Do you know if the current ASIO driver for Horus works under W8 now? Did they update the ASIO driver recently? It will be interesting to see what happens when W10 comes out next year. I was told Merging was going to skip W8 support altogether because they believed W8 is a "transitional" OS. Well, transitional or not, W8 has been in circulation for 2 years now and it will be more than 3 years old before MS releases W10.

Merry Christmas!

Da-Hong
Old 25th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseetoo View Post
However, the problem I was having a while back was that I simply couldn't install supplied ASIO driver correctly under W8, as I am a Sequoia user so PMX has very little relevancy to my workflow. I guess PMX9 has its own built-in native driver for Horus. Do you know if the current ASIO driver for Horus works under W8 now? Did they update the ASIO driver recently?
There is no custom driver for Horus. I use the ASIO driver and PMX native so all should be the same with Sequoia and Horus.

The latest ASIO driver seems to work fine with 8.1. This is version 9.1.6.
http://www.merging.com/uploads/asset...d25336_x64.exe
Old 25th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiefenthaler View Post
I am quite nosy about the horus and the announced ADA8 (8 channel AD/DA with preamps) Card.
Is this Card available? Can only find few Information on the web
What Price?
P Version also offered?

DAW:
Has anybody already used Reaper DAW with Hapi?

As I own a 8x192 and love the Headphoneamp, Is Headphoneamp of Hapi in same league?

Erich T.

p.s. Anybody using Hapi in Switzerland?
The ADA8 is available for delivery, I think, but not available in a Premium version.

I've used Reaper with my horus and a Hapi. Worked as well as anything. The integration is better with Pro Tools and Pyramix where you can control the mic preamps within the DAW.

I have no experience with the Mytek headphone amp, but the Hapi sounds ok. It hasn't got too much power though.
Old 27th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiefenthaler View Post
We have both: Mytek 8x192 and Horus. Haven't really got around to doing a careful Headphone sound comparison, and the Mytek unit is currently on location...

Love the Horus! However if there was something I would have hoped to see on Horus/Hapi was the 8x192 style setup for headphones. Horus headphone amp is digitally controlled, thus fixed gain in DSD.

Essentially the difference we noticed is convenience and easy of use. The Mytek is very quick to control, the extra xlr for monitors is a great bonus; the headphone/monitor bus selector is very convenient. One can never play down the importance of a dedicated MUTE button ! The Horus second headphone jack has come in handy though...
Old 18th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Is it possible to now to track in dsd via sonar x4 with merging interface? Or is the ravenna asio driver limited to 192?

Also , what is the round trip latency at 44.1 / 64 samples buffer using the ravenna asio driver?

Is it possible to ever make the driver do 3ms?
Old 19th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerchunis View Post
Is it possible to now to track in dsd via sonar x4 with merging interface? Or is the ravenna asio driver limited to 192?

Also , what is the round trip latency at 44.1 / 64 samples buffer using the ravenna asio driver?

Is it possible to ever make the driver do 3ms?
RE latency: No I don't think so. I spoke to Adam at Emerging and I think he said it was around 7ms at 32 buffer / 48khz. To put that in perspective my MOTU 1248 thunderbolt will result in 1.8ms at that setting.

I think ethernet audio I/O latency is basically the same as whatever your built in sound card can do with native software (which is usually not very good). Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11th February 2015
Lives for gear

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post
RE latency: No I don't think so. I spoke to Adam at Emerging and I think he said it was around 7ms at 32 buffer / 48khz. To put that in perspective my MOTU 1248 thunderbolt will result in 1.8ms at that setting.

I think ethernet audio I/O latency is basically the same as whatever your built in sound card can do with native software (which is usually not very good). Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Hi Trevor

Just to correct you on this,
The HAPI Core Audio Driver latency at 32 samples with Logic 9 @ 48k is 2ms one way. 4ms round trip.
The HAPI Core Audio Driver latency at 32 samples with Logic 9 @ 44.1k is 2.2ms one way. 4.4ms round trip.

http://www.merging.com/products/netw...-3rd-party-daw

Cheers

Adam

Last edited by Beastie; 11th February 2015 at 08:40 PM..
Old 17th February 2015
I am using my Horus converter in combination with Pyramix and couldn't be happier. What I would like to know is if it's possible to use the Horus in combination with (for example) iTunes/Windows Media Player or internet-based apps like Youtube and listening back music through these sources via the Horus.

I am using my Mytek DA converter/audio interface for that purpose right now, but it should be really amazing if my Horus could do all of this stuff as well.

Any advice is welcome! Thanks!
Old 17th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Does anybody here have the 8 channel ad/da combo card yet? Do the ad/da combo cards have mic pre's?

I read somewhere they had shipped in the standard 192 quality level, but it doesn't show up on any dealer sites.

Can anybody here discuss the difference between the standard cards, compared to the dsd capable cards? Do most of you guys have the dsd cards? Is it worth it to get the dsd cards for running at 192?
Old 17th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerchunis View Post
Does anybody here have the 8 channel ad/da combo card yet? Do the ad/da combo cards have mic pre's?

I read somewhere they had shipped in the standard 192 quality level, but it doesn't show up on any dealer sites.

Can anybody here discuss the difference between the standard cards, compared to the dsd capable cards? Do most of you guys have the dsd cards? Is it worth it to get the dsd cards for running at 192?
Just FYI,
The new combo cards use a different converter chip for the AD conversion (Dennis, can you clarify?). I have no experience with the new card but I have no doubt it sounds excellent. All Horus/HAPI AD converters have both Microphone and Line level inputs.
In recent conversations with the Merging distributor here in the USofA, they just received units for a customer last week, so they do indeed exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skriabin View Post
I am using my Horus converter in combination with Pyramix and couldn't be happier. What I would like to know is if it's possible to use the Horus in combination with (for example) iTunes/Windows Media Player or internet-based apps like Youtube and listening back music through these sources via the Horus.

I am using my Mytek DA converter/audio interface for that purpose right now, but it should be really amazing if my Horus could do all of this stuff as well.

Any advice is welcome! Thanks!
You can use the MT ASIO Bridge and route any ASIO aware application through Pyramix. The easiest way to do it is to route it as an external in the monitor panel.
Unfortunately, things like Youtube and other things that use standard windows audio will be a tough thing to get working.

All the best ,
-mark
Old 17th February 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
Just FYI,
The new combo cards use a different converter chip for the AD conversion (Dennis, can you clarify?). I have no experience with the new card but I have no doubt it sounds excellent. All Horus/HAPI AD converters have both Microphone and Line level inputs.
In recent conversations with the Merging distributor here in the USofA, they just received units for a customer last week, so they do indeed exist.

You can use the MT ASIO Bridge and route any ASIO aware application through Pyramix. The easiest way to do it is to route it as an external in the monitor panel.
Unfortunately, things like Youtube and other things that use standard windows audio will be a tough thing to get working.

All the best ,
-mark
Yes, you are correct. Here is what is being used.

AD8D / AD8DP - ARDA Tech
DA8 / DA8P - ESS Tech
ADA8 - AKM for AD and ESS for DA

Dennis
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear

Can anyone recommend a proven network PCIe interface for low latency operation with the Ravenna Virtual ASIO Soundcard? My onboard gigabit chip does not work with low latency settings. Thanks!
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear

Can anyone recommend a proven network PCIe interface for low latency operation with the Ravenna Virtual ASIO Soundcard? My onboard gigabit chip does not work with low latency settings. Thanks!
Old 18th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedemann View Post
The Merging Ravenna NIC uses an Intel 82574L chipset, so anything with that is probably a safe bet.
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

Around 30 Euros. Wonderful. I took a look at the Digigram Ravenna Audio Card but it is 1770 Euros...
Old 19th February 2015
Digigram have not yet done any tests with Mac or any external chassis.

The new MOTU 112D is probably the best option for getting the Hapi digital I/O to and from a new Mac via thunderbolt.

RME AES32 (with Sonnet Echo Express II for TB) is another option. Only downside I know of is the latest driver does not automatically switch samples rates, so each time you need to be in a different sample rate you have to go into HDSPe settings.

Last edited by TEMAS; 19th February 2015 at 12:09 PM..
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

Motu 112D is AVB isn't it? And, no Mac here.
Old 19th February 2015
AVB or Thunderbolt or USB. I think you'll see TB on PCs pretty soon.
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

But where exactly is the benefit of using this Motu interface with the Hapi?
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good question. Doesn't look like this Motu router understands AES67 or the Ravenna protocol that Hapi runs over AES67. So I'm not sure how it can decode Ravenna and route to TB.
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

You can use Hapi as a AES analog converter, but I think it is way more and there shouldn't be any reason to use it with another interface for most applications. I will try out this Intel card next week and report back on the performance!
Old 19th February 2015
Quote:
Because when using it as an AES to TB audio interface it will run at about 1/3 of the latency that the Hapi will do on its own using Ravenna and a native DAW.

4.2ms round trip @ 32 sample buffer equates to about 10-12ms @ 128 sample buffer, which is realistically the best scenario one could expect from even the fastest computers when tracking multiple VIs & live inputs through native plugins. Anything over 7ms for me is not usable, which means Hapi + Ravenna into native DAW is not an option.

Therefore a dedicated interface that can achieve low latency is required if I were to consider Hapi as an upgrade. If you think you can work at 64 sample buffer or don't use processor hungry VIs & effects during tracking then maybe Hapi & Ravenna are an option.

Also, when I contacted Ravenna they mentioned that along with Digigram, Sound4 make a compatible card for Ravenna low latency, but once again, its not for Mac so no use to me. I think this is it http://www.sound4.biz/products/sound...plications.htm

Last edited by TEMAS; 20th February 2015 at 01:39 AM..
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

Of course there are better ultra low latency setups and I bet the Motu is, at least for Mac, a great option. But again, Hapi is, in my opinion, more than just the converter, so sacrificing the AES (or Adat with standard sample rates) as a host connection via another interface is not an option. I'll see how Ravenna performs with the Intel card. For the moment, it does not satisfy me and my needs. But Hapi sounds incredible and I had no option
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why do you think one gigabit nic is going to have a different latency to another gigabit nic for the Ravenna ASIO sound card?
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

Because the built in network chip does not support all protocols that are necessary for full Ravenna compatibility. That is in my case PTP.
But maybe I am wrong and the new card will not perform any better. Still getting used to the practical side of Ravenna.
Old 24th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post

Merging deals with clients in the business of enterprise rated systems (worst case scenario numbers that are much more transparent in nature). I'm not sure how a consumer grade interface will approach the latencies of a Real Time OS setup...
Old 24th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcskier View Post
Merging deals with clients in the business of enterprise rated systems (worst case scenario numbers that are much more transparent in nature). I'm not sure how a consumer grade interface will approach the latencies of a Real Time OS setup...
My figures were wrong. Adam has already corrected me. See above - 4.2ms 44.1 / 32 buffer.

I personally have started to look into a different approach using one DAW for extreme low latency plugin performances and a second DAW for multi-tracking.

Last edited by TEMAS; 24th February 2015 at 03:11 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search