The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

HAPI, Son of Horus Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Might buy a Merging converter any time soon, very interesting products. Can anyone owning and using a HAPI comment on the controller software, connections, routing flexibility and features? screenshots..? what can be done on the small screen on the frontpanel, what not?
Old 22nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
Might buy a Merging converter any time soon, very interesting products. Can anyone owning and using a HAPI comment on the controller software, connections, routing flexibility and features? screenshots..? what can be done on the small screen on the frontpanel, what not?
Look here at the Horus Manual page 54 and on. It will give you a feeling of the meters, preamp control etc from the standalone web control of the Hapi and Horus
Page 34 and on gives you a feeling of the menu on the Horus.

http://www.merging.com/uploads/asset...nual_rev25.pdf

The unit is so deep that you really would need to look through the manual to answer your questions in full. If possible, you should get your hands on a unit

Hapi manual, same page numbers (34 and on, 54 and on)
http://www.merging.com/uploads/asset...nual_rev02.pdf
Old 22nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks klaukholm..! Will read..!
Yes, I'll try to test a unit, should be possible. Swiss company

I'm interested in a HAPI with 8i and 8o, and maybe replace the 8x192.

cheers
Old 22nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks klaukholm..! Will read..!
Yes, I'll try to test a unit, should be possible. Swiss company

I'm interested in a HAPI with 8i and 8o, and maybe replace the 8x192.

cheers
Just sold our mytek 8x192 this week - Hapi took its place
Old 22nd August 2014
Lives for gear

can you give a short comparison? soundwise, not the specs...
Old 22nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
can you give a short comparison? soundwise, not the specs...
I think you should put them side by side and hear for yourself.
Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Didier, to state the obvious, there is a lot more to judging super sound than looking at specs and these sort of test "results".
Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Didier, to state the obvious, there is a lot more to judging super sound than looking at specs and these sort of test "results".

Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks. Specs and tests are nice but I want to "hear"... I will ask for a HAPI test unit next week and compare with the Mytek 8x192.
Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Thumbs down

Sorry, but I have never endorsed, used as a purchase guide or trusted any tests on the internet.

Ask your trusted dealer to supply a demo unit. They are pleased to do it because the sound will be so good that the demo will result in an immediate sale.
Old 24th August 2014
Gear Head

Very interesting thread on the merging Hapi.

I have a question, perhaps someone tried that: I'm planning to buy a Hapi, I work on Pyramix 7.1 Native and I want to be certain that the Hapi can be connected to my MacBook air via Thunderbolt / Gigabit Ethernet adapter under BootCamp Windows 7?

It certainly needs the Virtual Ravenna driver and virtual Asio driver...

Does anyone tried this configuration?

Thanks.

Benoît.
Old 24th August 2014
Lives for gear

7.1 should work, but the later versions integrate micpre control which automatically pops up on any track with a Horus/Hapi assigned to it.

The redone mixer in v9 is also a pretty big step up

You should really ask this on the Merging forum as you are likely to find someone who has tried that setup.
Old 26th August 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm View Post
You should really ask this on the Merging forum as you are likely to find someone who has tried that setup.
Thanks for those precious inputs, yes I posted on Merging forum but nobody seem to tried that setup...

Benoît.
Old 27th August 2014
Gear Nut

Does anyone know how silent Horus is compared to Hapi. I've read Hapi has no fan, and so I believe it would be perfectly fine placing it near the microphones in order to avoid long cables.

I know Horus has a fan and, according to its manual, low, medium and high speed modes are available. Would it be OK to place it near the microphones? I've heard Sphynx was a bit noisy. How's Horus?

Is there a filter for the fan? I believe it would gather some dust after some time and I don't know if it is hard to clean and if it could interfere on the functionality. I don't know. I was just thinking that if you don't clean it regularly it could interfere and then make it noisier.

And the manual doesn't make it clear how many 48V channels Horus could support while the fan is operating in the low speed mode. And it does not say it is possible to turn the fan off.

Any feedback from Horus/Hapi owners would be great. Is it noisy? Could you place if near the microphones? I mean, near a stereo/decca tree/surround bar, for instance. How far from the microphones is a safe place to avoid noise?

Best regards,

Marcelo
Old 27th August 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabraldemello View Post
Does anyone know how silent Horus is compared to Hapi. I've read Hapi has no fan, and so I believe it would be perfectly fine placing it near the microphones in order to avoid long cables.

I know Horus has a fan and, according to its manual, low, medium and high speed modes are available. Would it be OK to place it near the microphones? I've heard Sphynx was a bit noisy. How's Horus?

Is there a filter for the fan? I believe it would gather some dust after some time and I don't know if it is hard to clean and if it could interfere on the functionality. I don't know. I was just thinking that if you don't clean it regularly it could interfere and then make it noisier.

And the manual doesn't make it clear how many 48V channels Horus could support while the fan is operating in the low speed mode. And it does not say it is possible to turn the fan off.

Any feedback from Horus/Hapi owners would be great. Is it noisy? Could you place if near the microphones? I mean, near a stereo/decca tree/surround bar, for instance. How far from the microphones is a safe place to avoid noise?

Best regards,

Marcelo
We only have one A/D card, but our Horus is completely silent, you could place it extremely close to the microphones with no problem (we do it sometimes, and it is impossible to hear it).
Old 27th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
For you location recorder people,
it is important to note that the Hapi comes standard with a DC input in addition to AC...
DC Input is an additional option, it seems. :(
Old 27th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalo1004es View Post
We only have one A/D card, but our Horus is completely silent, you could place it extremely close to the microphones with no problem (we do it sometimes, and it is impossible to hear it).
Many thanks, Gonzalo!

Anyone else? Has anyone had problems with it?

Regarding Hapi, could you combine 2 units in order to have 32 channels sent to a DAW? Considering both would have two 8-channel modules installed. If so, how do you do it?
Old 28th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Many thanks, Gonzalo!

Anyone else? Has anyone had problems with it?

Regarding Hapi, could you combine 2 units in order to have 32 channels sent to a DAW? Considering both would have two 8-channel modules installed. If so, how do you do it?
You can combine two or more Hapi for 32 analogue IO total using the certified Dell Power Connect 2808 switch.
This is actually cheaper than one Horus with 32IO.

Clocking of ravenna devices is done with very high precision over the network so no more worries about wordclock ect.

No fan in the Hapi

The Horus fan stays very quiet unless it is in a particularly hot environment.
Old 28th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
DC Input is an additional option, it seems. :(
Pardon the premature info.

It is a €140 euro addition. If needed, a dc psu is another €60
Old 28th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
You can combine two or more Hapi for 32 analogue IO total using the certified Dell Power Connect 2808 switch.
This is actually cheaper than one Horus with 32IO.

Clocking of ravenna devices is done with very high precision over the network so no more worries about wordclock ect.

No fan in the Hapi

The Horus fan stays very quiet unless it is in a particularly hot environment.
Thank you very much, klaukholm!

I was thinking about buying a Horus unit because I would be able expand it later. But the fan matter has made me a bit hesitant. The equipment will be used in northeastern Brazil, where high temperatures could be a problem. Temperatures here are always around 32°C (outdoors) and inside a church, for instance, I don't know, but probably not below 26°C/27°C. Unless it is a very unusual day. No proper winter in this region of Brazil. It's kind of like what Miami is to the US.

So I was thinking that in such hot environment the Horus unit could get really hot if it had 8+ channels providing 48v.

And I would rarely use more than 16 channels anyway, as I will be using it mostly to record early/classical/chamber music in churches and places alike, and so I'll be using stereo/decca tree/surround techniques. Even if I record 9.1 I would still have 6 channels left for soloist, singers etc. And such spots might not even be used in the final mix.

The only situation I can think of in which I'd need more than 16 channels is an open air concert with a large orchestra, where I'd need more cardioid microphones, as I would have no acoustics to rely on. But that would be a very rare occasion.

Might be going for Hapi then. Sounds like a cheaper and safer option, as it has no fan.

I was thinking that using the Horus in a hot environment while recording a solo instrument/voice in a pianissimo passage (if the fan is switched on) could ruin the recording.
Old 28th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you very much, klaukholm!

I was thinking about buying a Horus unit because I would be able expand it later. But the fan matter has made me a bit hesitant. The equipment will be used in northeastern Brazil, where high temperatures could be a problem. Temperatures here are always around 32°C (outdoors) and inside a church, for instance, I don't know, but probably not below 26°C/27°C. Unless it is a very unusual day. No proper winter in this region of Brazil. It's kind of like what Miami is to the US.

So I was thinking that in such hot environment the Horus unit could get really hot if it had 8+ channels providing 48v.

And I would rarely use more than 16 channels anyway, as I will be using it mostly to record early/classical/chamber music in churches and places alike, and so I'll be using stereo/decca tree/surround techniques. Even if I record 9.1 I would still have 6 channels left for soloist, singers etc. And such spots might not even be used in the final mix.

The only situation I can think of in which I'd need more than 16 channels is an open air concert with a large orchestra, where I'd need more cardioid microphones, as I would have no acoustics to rely on. But that would be a very rare occasion.

Might be going for Hapi then. Sounds like a cheaper and safer option, as it has no fan.

I was thinking that using the Horus in a hot environment while recording a solo instrument/voice in a pianissimo passage (if the fan is switched on) could ruin the recording.
Arguably, the safest option in a hot environment is a unit with a fan.
I would say that in upper 20s the fan would likely kick in at higher speeds.
It may be a good idea to try a unit under said conditions before you make your purchase.
My wife had a Horus in her office at the radio this summer and it was extremely hot - under these conditions it kicked in, but it may well have been over 30C in her room at the time. (edit: she says it ONLY got loud during the process of updating the firmware)
This may be a question you should direct to merging through your dealer as Claude will know very well how it would behave under the conditions you describe.
Old 28th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Arguably, the safest option in a hot environment is a unit with a fan.
I would say that in upper 20s the fan would likely kick in at higher speeds.
It may be a good idea to try a unit under said conditions before you make your purchase.
My wife had a Horus in her office at the radio this summer and it was extremely hot - under these conditions it kicked in, but it may well have been over 30C in her room at the time.

This may be a question you should direct to merging through your dealer as Claude will know very well how it would behave under the conditions you describe.
I see. I will give Claude more details on the type of work I'll be doing and see what he says.

Thank you once again, klaukholm!
Old 28th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I see. I will give Claude more details on the type of work I'll be doing and see what he says.

Thank you once again, klaukholm!
Let your dealer talk to the Merging crew, if we all email Claude, he will never have time to make more fantastic additions to the Merging Networked Audio Range of Interfaces.
Old 28th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Let your dealer talk to the Merging crew, if we all email Claude, he will never have time to make more fantastic additions to the Merging Technologies Networked Audio Range of Interfaces.
hehehe, I guess you're right.
Old 29th August 2014
Lives for gear

I spoke to my wife and she said it only got loud during the process of updating the firmware. Otherwise it was quiet even when the office got very hot.
That unit has five cards i.e. 32ch of preamps and one 8ch DA installed.
Old 29th August 2014
Gear Addict

David, from the Hapi specs on the Merging site

Hapi Base Unit Features
Standard Connections (Base Unit)

8 AES/EBU I/O (on DSub 25)
8 ADAT or 2 SPDIF I/O (on TOSLINK)
RAVENNA - AES67 I/O (on RJ45)
SYNC - LTC/MTC/VideoRef/Wck (requires CON-D15-VTC cable)
2 slots for AD8D/AD8P, DA8/DA8P and MADI option cards
AC or DC power connections
Detachable rack ears for placement in a standard rackmount.

It then goes on to the 'options' so it woould seem that the DC connection is standard.
Old 29th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHenry View Post

Hapi Base Unit Features

It then goes on to the 'options' so it woould seem that the DC connection is standard.
The Hapi Redundant Power Supply Option (DC 12V Input) is listed with code "IOC-HAPI-PSR" in the pricelist
The Power Supply AC/DC 12V, 2.5A 30W for Hapi DC input is listed with code "PSU-AC/DC-30W" in the pricelist
Old 29th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHenry View Post

Hapi Base Unit Features

I can confirm that the DC power supply is an option and not standard on the base unit.
Dennis
Old 30th August 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Let your dealer talk to the Merging crew, if we all email Claude, he will never have time to make more fantastic additions to the Merging Networked Audio Range of Interfaces.
Dear Cabral de Melo, Dear Klaukholm,

Since May 2014, I'm using Horus with Pyramix 9, 24 AD/ 1 DA in Brazil.
Here in Rio de Janeiro and many other regions, when 30ºC are reached we are only beginning to feel hot. This is not good for any kind of electronic equipment.
That's why I always care to take a very silent little USB fan (w/ its own PS, of course) with me just in case. And I must say, I have to use it more frequently than not, given the fact that 98% of my recording work is on location.
Under such conditions the Horus fan can get really loud, and this is the reason for me not to position it behind the main (omni) pickup, but always laterally, behind the scene.
The use of longer cables is far less harmful to the recording IMHO than the fan noise.
Anyway, in a live recording situation, you could never position it behind the main pickup.
That's my concern with Hapi in those situations. Would it stand the sometimes very difficult situations we have to cope with here in Brazil in location work?
Otherwise it looks very attractive. In a control room, it seems to be an unbeatable interface.

I second Klaukholm on the suggestion that you keep in contact with Visom Equipamentos, the Brazilian dealer to Merging. They are extremely helpful. Call Paulo Campos, the sales representative, and I'm sure he will do everything possible in order for you to get all the information you need. I can only say good things about them.

Feel free to PM me too, in case I can help you in Portuguese.

All the best

Edu
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search