The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

HAPI, Son of Horus Audio Interfaces
Old 13th August 2014
Gear Maniac

It is unfortunate that Merging's CoreAudio driver does not support DXD/384 resolutions on iOS as well.
Old 13th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHenry View Post
David

Did you buy local from Frank or off shore?

I'm in the stage of either upgrading my current SD to a 788 or a Nagra VI or taking the Hapi route. Either Hapi with MacBook or the SD970 via MADI. Still pondering this last option.

Regards
John
Littlehampton, SA
Yes, from Frank, I would not buy something like a HAPI off shore. HAPI is cheaper and more flexible than Nagra or 788. Preamps and conversion are top notch.
Old 13th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Do you have time to write a short review? There are more slutz who want to get HAPI!
The only difference from the Horus is the size and available IO.
There are quite a few testemonials on the Horus out there and they apply.
It behaves the same way, same drivers, same AD/Micpre and DA cards etc.

However, if someone in the Stockholm region wants to try a Hapi they are welcome to contact me.

Dennis should have demo units available in the US at this point.

That being said, I look forward to hearing what Plush has to say about his unit.
Old 13th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm View Post
The only diference from the Horus is the size and available IO.
There are quite a few testemonials on the Horus out there and they apply.
It behaves the same way, same drivers, same AD/Micpre and DA cards etc.

However, if someone in the Stockholm region wants to try a Hapi they are welcome to contact me.

Dennis should have demo units available in the US at this point.

That being said, I look forward to hearing what Plush has to say about his unit.
I have a couple of demo Hapi if anyone wants to try one out.

Quote:
It is unfortunate that Merging's CoreAudio driver does not support DXD/384 resolutions on iOS as well.
The reason is because Core Audio does not support dxd/384.
Dennis
Old 14th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Yes, from Frank, I would not buy something like a HAPI off shore. HAPI is cheaper and more flexible than Nagra or 788. Preamps and conversion are top notch.
Thanx David

Do you know of anyone running the Hapi into a MacBook (or Mac Mini) and using a non-pyramix DAW (such as Logic or Reaper etc)

Regards
John
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanx David

Do you know of anyone running the Hapi into a MacBook (or Mac Mini) and using a non-pyramix DAW (such as Logic or Reaper etc)

Regards
John
I know one engineer here who is using a Horus with a Macbook pro and Protools.
He says it is very stable
Old 14th August 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGaines View Post
The reason is because Core Audio does not support dxd/384.
Dennis
That is not the reason since Core Audio does in fact support 352.8k and 384k and above.

In fact, a developer can specify his own Core Audio driver and allow for DSD rates if required (a lot of testing is being done in this area including DSD512 support). Some developers are also employing ASIO on OS X with custom drivers.

It's there, it just requires the developer to code. TEAC pushed out their "HR Player" with DSD128 and 384k support in a matter of days. Really not that difficult.

cheers,
Reynaud
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
That is not the reason since Core Audio does in fact support 352.8k and 384k and above.

In fact, a developer can specify his own Core Audio driver and allow for DSD rates if required (a lot of testing is being done in this area including DSD512 support). Some developers are also employing ASIO on OS X with custom drivers.

It's there, it just requires the developer to code. TEAC pushed out their "HR Player" with DSD128 and 384k support in a matter of days. Really not that difficult.

cheers,
Reynaud
It may have to do with the desire to stay completely safe which has been a priority.
This is for instance why the core audio driver supports 64ch at higher samplerates while the windows driver halves per FS increment.
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by claying View Post
Does an iPad really even have enough processing power to handle DXD? Is there any iOS software out there that could support it?
Old 14th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by matyas View Post
Does an iPad really even have enough processing power to handle DXD? Is there any iOS software out there that could support it?
Sorry. I mean OS X.

I have a Horus here but I found it notoriously complicated to set up and still have some reliability issues under my ASIO and non-Pyramix config. And no DXD on Macbook Pro. You simply can't use it as straight forward as a USB / FW interface, or a standalone recorder.

I think network audio is the future but am still waiting for some better drivers to come and standalone recorder before investing.
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know one engineer here who is using a Horus with a Macbook pro and Protools.
He says it is very stable
Is that me? I have use my Horus with both my MacBook Pro (2011) and my MacBook Air (2012) with mostly Pro Tools for recording and it's worked fine. Very stable. It's never acted up when rolling, however there has been some interesting cases two times where all connections were made properly at startup and no audio was received by PT. A reboot of the entire system cured that.
I like it a lot, and am now looking into a good solution for control room monitoring. The Hapi is at the top of the list, naturally...
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry. I mean OS X.

I have a Horus here but I found it notoriously complicated to set up and still have some reliability issues under my ASIO and non-Pyramix config. And no DXD on Macbook Pro. You simply can't use it as straight forward as a USB / FW interface, or a standalone recorder.

I think network audio is the future but am still waiting for some better drivers to come and standalone recorder before investing.
Contact support, they will sort out any issues you may have.

What about the Horus do you find complicated to set up other than the unfamilliarity of audio networks?
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
Is that me? I have use my Horus with both my MacBook Pro (2011) and my MacBook Air (2012) with mostly Pro Tools for recording and it's worked fine. Very stable. It's never acted up when rolling, however there has been some interesting cases two times where all connections were made properly at startup and no audio was received by PT. A reboot of the entire system cured that.
I like it a lot, and am now looking into a good solution for control room monitoring. The Hapi is at the top of the list, naturally...
No, not you. I have not heard from you regarding mac stability. Good to hear it is working though.
Old 14th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Contact support, they will sort out any issues you may have.

What about the Horus do you find complicated to set up other than the unfamilliarity of audio networks?
In a few words, it is not plug and play! Definitely not fun if you encounter any problem needing troubleshoot on the spot when the engineer has only an hour to set up for a location recording.
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
In a few words, it is not plug and play! Definitely not fun if you encounter any problem needing troubleshoot on the spot when the engineer has only an hour to set up for a location recording.
Compared to my old prism ada8 or our dotec producer units, I find it quick and simple. But RTM is a must
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

The dotec is a pain! The Horus less so, but yes; convoluted and not obvious. Still can take me some time to find out how some aspects of the routing works or how to change sample rate.
But my older system with three metric halo ULN-8s is no easier. On the other hand they have a built in mixer which the Horus/Hapi lack right now.

I did not have the guts to being the Horus to the first run and gun job I had after receiving it. Too scary with new equipment on the first date!
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Horus has been 100% reliable for me during recording, but sometimes locking it all together at boot up time is a bit tricky. The order of device switch on and setting active input and output channels can be something you need to concentrate on, sometimes PMX needs a restart.

Make sure all firmware, drivers and PMX (if using) are up to date with the latest versions.

Horus and Hapi are the orginators of sample rate. I don't think I've been able to reset Horus sample rate by changing it in PMX.

I am much more familiar with it now and love it. Its a very powerful, flexible and productive system. You can do almost anything with it.
Old 15th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
MOSTLY Pro Tools?

What else are you suing when not Pro Tools?
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
MOSTLY Pro Tools?

What else are you suing when not Pro Tools?
Johannes is a heavy Sequoia user.
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

Sequoia indeed. And reaper at one time. So far I've not used pyramix but I'm looking forward to do so in the future.
Old 16th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Sequoia indeed. And reaper at one time. So far I've not used pyramix but I'm looking forward to do so in the future.
So Reaper works ok with the Hapi?
Old 16th August 2014
Lives for gear

Greetings, Playas

I'll implement Hapi on SADiE and Pyramix here.

I'm sure conversion is very good. I will implement the super conversion cards that include the 384kHz. and the DSD.

All I would have to add to the evaluation is how the mic amps sound to me and to rank the conversion against others that we have here---dCS, DAD, and RME+Benchmark.

One of the reasons I made a move on the box is because of the Claude Cellier designed mic amps which give a clear nod to Nagra analog mic amps.

I met Claude when he was at Kudelski and have been a disciple ever since.
Old 17th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I'm sure conversion is very good.
Rather good indeed.
Old 19th August 2014
Lives for gear

Merging just released a card with 8 AD/micpre and 8 DA on a single card.
You can now get up to 48 IO on the Horus and 16 IO on the Hapi.

The cost of the card will be less than the combined cost of one AD and one DA.

Obviously the per channel cost is greatly reduced as we now get more out of our chassis investment
Old 19th August 2014
Lives for gear

This is nice indeed. It would have been almost as useful for control room purposes to have a 2 in/6 out card or so, but while more expensive this gives great flexibility. The cards are user-swappable, yes? That means I could move an AD card from my Horus to my (future potential) Hapi if I need a smaller chassi but still a couple of channels.
Monitor control is already taken care of on the Hapi, I believe, with the rotary encoder and assignable D/A pair (no surround yet...) level control. Talkback... Remains to solve in a smooth way. We're almost there.
Looking forward to go "all (Merg)in(g)".
Old 19th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The cards are user-swappable, yes? That means I could move an AD card from my Horus to my (future potential) Hapi if I need a smaller chassi but still a couple of channels.
Monitor control is already taken care of on the Hapi
The cards are indeed user swappable and work the same in the Horus and the Hapi.

They will be showing these at the IBC next month
Old 20th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Merging just released a card with 8 AD/micpre and 8 DA on a single card.
You can now get up to 48 IO on the Horus and 16 IO on the Hapi.

The cost of the card will be less than the combined cost of one AD and one DA.

Obviously the per channel cost is greatly reduced as we now get more out of our chassis investment
Very interesting. Any idea of the price and when these might be coming out? I have been in the process of planning a major upgrade, and would really like to go Merging if at all possible. This would make things much easier.
Old 21st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The cards are indeed user swappable and work the same in the Horus and the Hapi.

They will be showing these at the IBC next month
MERGING LAUNCHES NEW 16 i/o CARD - Emerging
Old 21st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Just to be clear as their text can be a bit confusing
It is an 8 in/8 out card.

16IO is what you get with two such cards in a Hapi
Old 22nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Thank you, Gurus!

This thread is an excellent source of info. for this new Pyramixist / Happiest.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search