The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

HAPI, Son of Horus Audio Interfaces
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Interesting to know what you are planning to use for Talkback in the control room Hapi - seems a bit pricey to have to buy 8 channels of mic pres.

Last edited by Larry Elliott; 24th March 2014 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Elliott View Post
Interesting to know what you are planning to use for Talkback in the control room Hapi - seems a bit pricey to have to buy 8 channels of mic pres.
Next season, we plan on using Hapi and/or dotec producer.com in the controlrooms depending on the session.
For us, simplicity and speed in setup is very important. To this end micpres in the controlroom-unit are very useful to me.
You may be shocked to know we have 8ch of DA in a Horus for cue and talkback. This also cuts down on time, bulk and weight.
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yes - I agree - simplicity will eventually pay for the extra preamps. Thanks.
Old 26th March 2014
Here for the gear

I'm just wondering: is there something preventing one from using a Horus/Hapi under Mac OS X as an aggregative audio device with another interface for monitoring and Talkback in the control room?
Old 1st April 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2e View Post
I'm just wondering: is there something preventing one from using a Horus/Hapi under Mac OS X as an aggregative audio device with another interface for monitoring and Talkback in the control room?
Aggregate devices do not work properly in Mac OS X, audio is dropped almost at random as clocks drift and then resync.
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Uh yeah, unless you sync them? I've run three ULN-8s as aggregate in trials and there's been few problems. However I've always been able to word clock them together to sync. I haven't tried Mac OS realtime resampling. That seemed like a flawed construction from the start.
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

One way around the need for an external switch may be the new Digigram Ravenna/Madi Pcie card
Once they release the docuentation it will be clearer, but it seems the card may be able to operate with the two ports as independent streams rather than just for redundancy.
I may be wrong on this

Digigram -
Old 2nd April 2014
Gear Maniac

Hi folks, can the Horus record more than 8 channels of DXD audio via Ravenna ASIO? It has 6 slots of expansion but its ASIO manual said it supports only 8 channels at such rate?
Old 2nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by claying View Post
Hi folks, can the Horus record more than 8 channels of DXD audio via Ravenna ASIO? It has 6 slots of expansion but its ASIO manual said it supports only 8 channels at such rate?
For more than 8ch of DXD, you will have to get a masscore key and the Merging certified NIC

Ravenna/masscore can handle 48ch IO of DXD
Old 3rd April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm View Post
For more than 8ch of DXD, you will have to get a masscore key and the Merging certified NIC

Ravenna/masscore can handle 48ch IO of DXD
Thanks for the information.
Old 4th May 2014
Here for the gear

I don't feel like opening a new thread for this, so I hope someone can chime in here:

How good are the preamp cards for the Hapi/Horus compared to something like Millenia, DAV or maybe the RME Micstasy/Octamic XTC? I hear nothing but praise about the conversion, but not much about the the preamps. Can somebody share their experiences?
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

in2e - suggest you read post 10 above from Mark Donahue. About as good a compliment as you could ever get about the preamps...
Old 4th May 2014
Lives for gear

There is an inherent virtue in the Horus and Hapi preamps in that they do not need to amplify the microphone level to line level. They need only amplify to the ADC input level. This is holistic system engineering at it's best.

-Casey
Old 18th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
We use the headphone amp for talkback. Just send the signal across the network and feed it out of phase to the two channels if balanced is required.
All the best,
Mark
Following up on this Mark if you are using only a single Horus, and it is located on the stage - what do you use for talkback preamp and how is that connected to the Horus?
Thanks
Larry
Old 18th May 2014
When working in DSD we usually have 2 horus/hapi.
For PCM I run an additional cat5 cable and return 3x AES for monitoring and use the fourth pair for analog talkback return. The talkback can be one of our custom boxes which gives a line out or as simple as a Shure 522 PTT mic.
All the best,

-mark
Old 18th May 2014
Lives for gear

Thank you.
Old 18th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
We like these enough that we have an order for 9 units to replace a whole host of converters and mic pre amps.
Mark
When is the garage sale for all the outmoded hardware?

Rich
Old 19th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonare View Post
When is the garage sale for all the outmoded hardware?
Rich
Going on now.
Sold 4 Meitner ADC8/DAC8 and a pair of switchmans last week.
I have a pair of HV3D's going on Ebone next week along with 2 pairs of 802 matrix and 3 pairs of 801 matrix and 3 threshold S500. I've been cleaning house for the last 6 months. After that a couple of Mytek 8x192s with DSD (we have four, we're keeping 2), a DCS 904 AD converter, A DCS 992 master clock......the list never ends.
Too much stuff, not enough space.
All the best,
-mark
Old 19th May 2014
Lives for gear

What are you replacing 801s and 802s with Mark?
Old 19th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Elliott View Post
What are you replacing 801s and 802s with Mark?
In the studios we put in a set of 5 803 Diamonds. We still have a full set on for the road but have recently acquired a surround set of the new Neumann K&H 310.
-m
Old 22nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Lord this is crazy good. I think "nimble", "efficient", "quiet" "ergonomic". Gheez - the outstanding quality, all packed into this little (1)RU form factor.

No uberhype (now there's a refreshing change), no noisy fan, (16) mic pre's. Price looks entirely reasonable. Nothing like it out there at the moment. Yikes...

Cdlt
Old 22nd June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil View Post
Lord this is crazy good. I think "nimble", "efficient", "quiet" "ergonomic". Gheez - the outstanding quality, all packed into this little (1)RU form factor.

No uberhype (now there's a refreshing change), no noisy fan, (16) mic pre's. Price looks entirely reasonable. Nothing like it out there at the moment. Yikes...

Cdlt
You got it! Had one on order and paid for for about 3 months now. Still no sign, but soon!
Old 23rd June 2014
Lives for gear

I want something to complement the Horus for location work in the control room. A Hapi with two or more discreet headphone outputs, two mic inputs and six line outputs, individually (analogue) controllable for monitoring outputs. A small panel for talkback, and footswitch support. Support for a private line configuration together with a Horus or other merging Ravenna device.
One can dream... The Hapi is so close though.
Old 23rd June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
You got it! Had one on order and paid for for about 3 months now. Still no sign, but soon!
David, do you know what the timeline is for its release? I've been waiting as well.
Old 23rd June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
David, do you know what the timeline is for its release? I've been waiting as well.
We have 8 units on order. We've had one of the prototype units for a while now and it works pretty much as advertised.
From what I've been told they should have production units sometime in July....
I suspect that there will be a bit of a backlog filling existing orders.
All the best,
-mark
Old 23rd June 2014
Old 24th June 2014
Lives for gear

I'm currently spec'ing out a potential system. We're still in the very early planning stages here, and nothing might come of it, but I'd like to go Merging if possible. I'm looking at 16 in/8 out to start out. It looks to be cheaper to buy two Hapis than a single Horus, and this would also provide more flexibility in terms of being able to locate the D/A in a second box in a control room.

Thoughts?
Old 24th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matyas View Post
I'm currently spec'ing out a potential system. We're still in the very early planning stages here, and nothing might come of it, but I'd like to go Merging if possible. I'm looking at 16 in/8 out to start out. It looks to be cheaper to buy two Hapis than a single Horus, and this would also provide more flexibility in terms of being able to locate the D/A in a second box in a control room.

Thoughts?
Are you planning on using input cards that have mic preamps or line level? I'm wondering how they sound.
Old 24th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Are you planning on using input cards that have mic preamps or line level? I'm wondering how they sound.
Still in the very early stages, and the proposed system may not happen at all, or I may end up going in a different direction altogether.

However, if I am able to pull this off and I do decide to go Merging, I would want to use the onboard preamps. They're obviously good enough for SoundMirror, so there's no complaint about the quality there. Also, I don't have a ton of preamps right now anyway, so I'm looking at the cost of picking up racks of preamps and converters, and the Merging solution is very competitive. Lastly, I do a lot of gigs for which set-up time is at a premium, and having fewer boxes to schlep and setup is very appealing.
Old 24th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matyas View Post
Still in the very early stages, and the proposed system may not happen at all, or I may end up going in a different direction altogether.

However, if I am able to pull this off and I do decide to go Merging, I would want to use the onboard preamps. They're obviously good enough for SoundMirror, so there's no complaint about the quality there. Also, I don't have a ton of preamps right now anyway, so I'm looking at the cost of picking up racks of preamps and converters, and the Merging solution is very competitive. Lastly, I do a lot of gigs for which set-up time is at a premium, and having fewer boxes to schlep and setup is very appealing.
I guess it comes down to reliability. Yes, the minimal setup time is very attractive. Especially running only cat5 to the stage. What are you planning for redundancy or if a mic pre on the card fails? BTW, I am also impressed at the cost/value ratio. At that price, you could afford 2 of them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search