The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

HAPI, Son of Horus Audio Interfaces
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roonsbane View Post
Anyone using their Hapi with Sequoia? I am having occasional audio glitches during playback and I am wondering if someone had come up with a great combination of buffers for the Hapi and Sequoia. It's interesting because the Merging people are telling me I should be keeping the buffer around 256 or less. For me at that setting, I am having bad dropouts, though they go away at 512 and seem to be even better at 1024. Still Merging folks say that is too much buffer. The computer is a brand new HPZbook with a 2.9 gig. quad core I7 and 32 GB of RAM. I have lowered the max processors of Sequoia to 3 as recommended. I do get occasional glitchy stutter noises during advanced crossfades and tones that sound like grabbing an unplugged guitar cable that is plugged into an amp. Hitting undo to remove the crossfades does not fix the glitches. They are unrecoverable until I restart the program. I wish I wasn't taking on two new products at once. Learning Sequoia is a beast!
Thanks!

Cameron
Have you disabled bios features such as speedstep, C State, Turbo mode?
Check user account settings - should be all the way down.
Also disable drive indexing on media drive.

Last edited by NetworkAudio; 20th October 2015 at 03:59 PM..
Old 14th October 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks Network Audio for your recommendations. I will check into those things you listed. I tried my best to keep the system as lean as possible, but admit to being better with Macs than Windows machines. I did have the laptop running on my digiface for about a week and did not have any issues, but I also had not done any crossfades yet with the new computer and Sequoia. This is the thing that really seems to give it fits. Even crossfades with a single stereo track. It might be worth trying to run the system with the digiface again and try some fades. My old 12 year old laptop was super reliable running Nuendo with the RME digiface. This new computer should be able to kick its processing ass in every way. Luckily it seems to record reliably so far with the Hapi.

I did a session on location with Cantus all day long today. It sounded great with no buffer issues, but I ran my old computer being fed by the Hapi's ADAT out into my digiface as a multitrack safety. A super reliable safety! In the future, I may try to use one of my work's MacBooks with ProTools. Then I could install the Hapi drivers from an Ethernet switch as a safety.
Old 14th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roonsbane View Post
My old 12 year old laptop was super reliable running Nuendo with the RME digiface. This new computer should be able to kick its processing ass in every way.
Processing power is not the issue, I bet it kicks your old computer to the moon and back. But the problem is that laptops in general are more complex in terms of real time processes because of their permanent system interrupt handling. DPC latency checker is a good tool to start with checking its realtime performance: DPC latency checker
Best of luck!
Old 14th December 2015
Lives for gear

As a heads up, you now get 128 channels IO with the free ASIO and CoreAudio ravenna driver.

On mac CoreAudio you even get 128ch IO at 384khz!
Old 10th March 2016
Lives for gear

Chinese, Russian and Arabian high end hi-fi customers are the future main source of revenue for converter manufacturers. Look what dCS did.
Old 10th March 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Chinese, Russian and Arabian high end hi-fi customers are the future main source of revenue for converter manufacturers. Look what dCS did.
You're probably right. But let's hope that Merging won't drop their pro-audio line completely, like dCS did.
Old 6th March 2017
Hey GSlutters,

I'm currently demo-ing an Hapi unit with both AD and DAD cards.
I'd ideally like to move from a rather complicated setup (3x Prism Atlas + 1x Prism Orpheus + 1x Forssell MADA-2a into a RayDat card) to something simpler and more on-location friendly.
Now, from the above converters I like the Forssell the best, as it sounds the most robust and punchy to me. The bass range sounds very tight and energetic.
I like the Prisms a lot, too, although they sound a little softer to my ears. But clocked to the Forssell, the difference is more subtle.

Listening to the Hapi in comparison I've not been very impressed so far, I need to admit.
I've simply made a DA-AD stereo loop and the Hapi does not sound as solid in the bass, and seems to push the high-mids a tad back in the sonic perspective. Overall, it seems to be a little less dimensional/3D than the Prism+Forssell combo.
Clocking it to the Forssell seems to help, again.

Updated user impressions would be helpful!

Thanks a lot.
Old 6th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkAudio View Post
As a heads up, you now get 128 channels IO with the free ASIO and CoreAudio ravenna driver.

pretty radical
Old 7th March 2017
Yep - in terms of functionalities/bang for the bucks/flexibility, I really think the Hapi (and Horus) totally rocks!
I just can't get that same sense of space and energy that I'm getting from the Prisms and Forssell.
I also had my studio mate and a client listen to them and they came to the same conclusions.
I'll try to accomodate some more time today for further testing.
Old 7th March 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkAudio View Post

That is well over 1Gb/s if I do the math correctly!
Old 7th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noize_organizer View Post
I just can't get that same sense of space and energy that I'm getting from the Prisms and Forssell.
Former Orpheus owner, current Forssell and current Horus Hapi owner here. I find it difficult to tell the difference really. Horus/Hapi are so powerful and compact and the sonics are super clean and neutral. Forssell maybe sexier in the long run, but getting 32 channels on stage, forget it. I love them all.
Old 7th March 2017
Interesting!
Do you find the same space and punch with your Hapi as with the Orpheus?
What's tempting with the Horus/Hapi is the compactness and convenience but I would have the feeling to downgrade a bit if replacing my Prisms with them.
So, you're not missing your Orpheus?
Old 7th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noize_organizer View Post
Do you find the same space and punch with your Hapi as with the Orpheus?
Punch is not a word I would ever use with any of these converters, least of all Orpheus. "Space" and "air" are in abundance in all of them.

No I don't miss Orpheus. I think Prism IO is lagging well behind, no AES/EBU, and firewire is too ancient and difficult now. I will never use USB for anything other than a mouse.
Old 8th March 2017
LvE
Here for the gear

Are there people here using the Hapi with windows 10?
I just migrated to a windows laptop (coming from a mac), and I have some troubles getting everything working smoothly.
W10 is recognizing the Hapi, but my DAW (digital performer, demo) is not receiving the audio in.

Since windows is still a bit of unfamiliar territory for me what the culprit could be.
Are there any Hapi and windows 10 users that have success with a particular DAW?
Old 8th March 2017
No specific help here - sorry - but it took me a while to understand how the EasyConnect thing actually works (and I'm still scratching my head sometimes).
Are you certain that you've created sessions, sinks etc.?
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvE View Post
Are there people here using the Hapi with windows 10?
Yes, I am on W10 here for main DAW and two laptops. You need to make sure you have the very latest ASIO driver.
http://merging.com/uploads/assets/In...d32332_x64.exe

Quote:
I just migrated to a windows laptop (coming from a mac), and I have some troubles getting everything working smoothly.
W10 is recognizing the Hapi, but my DAW (digital performer, demo) is not receiving the audio in.
Have you got audio working from any other sources yet?

Quote:
Since windows is still a bit of unfamiliar territory for me what the culprit could be.
Are there any Hapi and windows 10 users that have success with a particular DAW?
Perhaps find a mate who works with PC audio and can help you out. W10 is excellent with audio.
Old 8th March 2017
LvE
Here for the gear

Hi David and others,

I've thus far not yet tried other sources. My new laptop doesn't take firewire interfaces anymore...
But I will try something else the upcoming days.

For now I've been sitting with the setup guide, installed the latest driver and changed some settings on W10. I feel I've taken some small steps and familiarized myself a little more in the infrastructure.

WHen I follow the manual, I get the first steps right but then I get stuck at the Ravenna Easy Connect window with the two messages:
'address undefined' and 'source not properly configured'
The manual says that I should put the IP-assign on auto trough windows and on the Hapi.
That doesn't solve it for now... t I'll have a fresh go at it tomorrow.
Hopefully with some new insights. I'm looking forward to get the system running!

PS
Oooo I get by with a little help from my friends (and gearslutz)
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Hi LvE,

While I'm familiar with the Hapi / Horus and Windows I'm not running W10 on anything yet - so big caveat. However, in my experience if there is a connection / network issue after following the instructions carefully it's usually interference from Firewall, virus protection, or a User Account security restriction. Double check that everything above is turned off completely and User Accts are set to minimum security (obviously don't connect to the internet with these settings) and try connection again?

Hoping others with more W10 experience will help.

-Silas

Quote:
Hi David and others,

I've thus far not yet tried other sources. My new laptop doesn't take firewire interfaces anymore...
But I will try something else the upcoming days.

For now I've been sitting with the setup guide, installed the latest driver and changed some settings on W10. I feel I've taken some small steps and familiarized myself a little more in the infrastructure.

WHen I follow the manual, I get the first steps right but then I get stuck at the Ravenna Easy Connect window with the two messages:
'address undefined' and 'source not properly configured'
The manual says that I should put the IP-assign on auto trough windows and on the Hapi.
That doesn't solve it for now... t I'll have a fresh go at it tomorrow.
Hopefully with some new insights. I'm looking forward to get the system running!

PS
Oooo I get by with a little help from my friends (and gearslutz)
Old 31st March 2017
LvE
Here for the gear

Thanks for all the help thus far.
I've recently purchased an 'old' t530 thinkpad with windows 7. That I will use only for recording and I've already had more success with it than with my other laptop.
Most probably one of the faults was within some security setting on my other (newer) laptop.
So with the windows 7 one I've configured it more or less to the Merging guide and I feel everything has opened up a little and I have some time to dive into the Pyramix adventure with some fresh air.

While I'm playing around with some of the settings I found it not possible to record more than 4 tracks on sample rates above 48khz when running the Merging Asio driver. Is there something I'm overlooking?

All the best!
Old 31st March 2017
Lives for gear

Make sure you have the latest ASIO driver.
Merging Technologies Downloads

Note that the ASIO driver is only 64 bit now. If your W7 is 32 bit, you will have to use the old driver which is somewhat unreliable.

ASIO resources are exposed in groups of 8 channels and the mapping is not one to one with audio channels when the sample rate goes beyond 1fs.
http://merging.com/uploads/assets/In...IO%20Guide.pdf
Page 3-13 in that doc explains the number of ASIO "channels" to be assigned for the various audio "channels" required for a given sample rate.
Old 1st April 2017
LvE
Here for the gear

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply, my system is 64 bit. I found out were my mistake was. I had left the asio driver on 8in 8out. (cause that is the card I have installed).
But of course there are more than those. So pulling it up did the trick.
Although everything seems very clear once set correctly the multiple windows and apps were a bit confusing at start. (the logic behind it slowly sinks in).
In any case thanks for the support.
Old 2nd May 2017
Quote:

Hi: I don't like to have DHCP or auto IPs, I rather prefer to create a map of them and assign it manually, more control and less pain.

Please try the following: use 10.10.10.10/255.255.255.0 for the HAPI and then 10.10.10.11/255.255.255.0 for your laptop, that will do it.

Let us know.

Cheers.
Old 13th May 2017
LvE
Here for the gear

Thanks for all the advice.
After some further familiarisation with the system I managed to get it working even with auto IP asign
And recently recorded three acoustic sessions with it in a church.
Must say that the working setup was a blessing!
All the best,
Lucas
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Hi Trevor

Just to correct you on this,
The HAPI Core Audio Driver latency at 32 samples with Logic 9 @ 48k is 2ms one way. 4ms round trip.
The HAPI Core Audio Driver latency at 32 samples with Logic 9 @ 44.1k is 2.2ms one way. 4.4ms round trip.

Merging Technologies | Horus & Hapi Mic-Pre & AD/DA for 3rd party DAWs

Cheers

Adam

Do you know if there is any latency improvement with latest drivers/firmware?
What´s the expected latency with 128 or 256 buffer?
Does any1 know if it´s possible to play VInstruments with a 64 buffer without click just using the ethernet connection?

Thanks!!!
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

Nice interview with Claude Cellier.
Claude Cellier. Merging technologies - YouTube

Interesting comment about AES67 microphones.
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

Watched the whole thing. What a great interview.

What a guy!
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Watched the whole thing. What a great interview.

What a guy!
Yes I found it compelling and couldn't turn it off. Merging certainly contributing significantly to the industry for such a small company. Clever dudes.
Old 13th August 2018
Gear Maniac

It'll be interesting to see what all these new products are he alluded to.
Old 13th August 2018
Really excellent interview. Thank you for sharing it, David!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search