The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Royer Users Ribbon Microphones
Old 24th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yes, there is absolutely no difference between pure Blumlein and MS Blumlein. They are identical in all respects. The angles of view and ambiophonic segments are identical in position.
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Yes, there is absolutely no difference between pure Blumlein and MS Blumlein. They are identical in all respects. The angles of view and ambiophonic segments are identical in position.
Yes, I'd wondered too why Boojum was bothering with the 'extra redundancy' :-) of gathering MS Blumlein data. Perhaps because:

1. He'd expanded his definition of "MS Blumlein" to include M/S ratios other than pure 1:1 ?
or
2. He wanted to also look into minute, highly-nuanced differences between conventional Blumlein and "MS Blumlein" arrays - such as tone quality or central image solidity. But such a study is beyond the scope of the original test, that was intended to illuminate the strange phase relationships one must contend with. Besides, jangling keys alone wouldn't suffice for tonal testing.

Ach, these image walkaround tests could probably be banged out quickly in the back garden. :-)
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McC View Post
Since the image location of sustained notes is trickier to discern than that of staccato sounds, it's a real shame that you are contractually forbidden from singing...but could you at least announce the positions in a slow leisurely drawl? :-)

Let me take this up with my attorneys. I will inform you of their advice. LMAO. I am not sure if I can manage a drawl. Let's see what I can come up with.

I figured the compass points would be the easiest to translate and would be free of ambiguous audio double-speak and vagueness. How about if I mumble and chant the full circle and announce the 45 degree points as I pass them? I am appallingly bad at taking direction but if this little gig is to be of any help to others maybe I ought to bend, this once. Just don't push it.

Cheers
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McC View Post
ing.

Ach, these image walkaround tests could probably be banged out quickly in the back garden. :-)
We get ~240 of overcast days here and have the highest annual rainfall for any US city on the mainland: Astoria, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So if it is not bloody pissing down rain drops the size of bloody tanners tomorrow I will have a go. You guys are gonna owe me.
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Windy with light rain today.

The lawyers say I can recite poetry musically, but not sing. Lawyers! LOL I will replicate Edison's first cylinder recording.

I will be including the separate MS Blumlein to see if it is better and how much better. There are some strong proponents of MS and MS Blumlein in this forum. The logic that the recording will sound better when the mic is pointed at the sound rather than the edge of the sound makes sense to me. But let's see. Any ideas on testing are welcomed, as is a sunny, windless day.
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recording David View Post
Hark the herald sounds great, Rich - really lovely!
Thanks! I guess no one heard the 14 edits in it (7 in the intro)?

Good!

Rich
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search