The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , , , , , ,

Korg MR-1000 / 1bit-5.8MHz DSD portable recorder Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 17th November 2012
  #661
Lives for gear
 
jinksdingo's Avatar
I love mine too,
Am downloading the newer Audio gate but not sure if I'll need it.
Old 18th November 2012
  #662
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
Are there new features, or is this just bug fixes?

*bug fixes. Darn iPhone typing.
Looks like they added a "high-quality real-time conversion alternative."

From the manual:
Changing the type of real-time conversion
You can choose the type of real-time conversion from the following two alternatives.
High Quality:
High quality real-time audio conversion that was been added in Ver. 2.3
Light Load:
The real-time audio conversion that has been utilized in the former version.
note: When playing back, CPU utilization may become very high from choosing High Quality.


I haven't directly compared conversions yet (and don't really have time to), but it seems to sound at least as terrific as it has previously. I wonder what they changed?
Old 26th November 2012
  #663
Deleted User
Guest
AudioGate's new High Quality Real-Time Conversion option seems a tad bit brighter than the Light Load option (Dither and Normalise off). Generally, the Light Load's output seems closer to the source.

Overall, I still prefer simply playing out of the Korg to using AudioGate.

cheers,
Reynaud
Old 6th April 2013
  #664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
Overall, I still prefer simply playing out of the Korg to using AudioGate.
Agreed!

Best regards,

Bob
Old 6th April 2013
  #665
Gear Addict
 
c1ferrari's Avatar
 

It's definitely easier to play directly out of the Korg
Does anyone think Audiogate sounds better
Old 14th June 2018
  #666
Gear Maniac
 

After nearly 12 years of trusty service, my Korg MR-1000 started making ominous clicking sounds when I started it up today. Since the only moving part I am aware of is the hard disk, I assume this is a sign that the disk may be approaching the end of its life (not bad after 12 years!).

I know Busman Audio will perform a hard disk replacement (and I also know that SSDs are not an option with this machine), but replacing the hard disk seems like something I could do myself; I've certainly done it on desktop and laptop computers before. Has anyone here tried it and if so do you have a recommended disk? The original disk was 40 gigabytes; I remember reading somewhere that the unit won't recognize larger (or at least much larger) capacity disks so the biggest challenge these days would be to find a disk that small!

I'm still finding this a useful machine for stereo field recordings.
Old 15th June 2018
  #667
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
After nearly 12 years of trusty service, my Korg MR-1000 started making ominous clicking sounds when I started it up today. Since the only moving part I am aware of is the hard disk, I assume this is a sign that the disk may be approaching the end of its life (not bad after 12 years!).

I know Busman Audio will perform a hard disk replacement (and I also know that SSDs are not an option with this machine), but replacing the hard disk seems like something I could do myself; I've certainly done it on desktop and laptop computers before. Has anyone here tried it and if so do you have a recommended disk? The original disk was 40 gigabytes; I remember reading somewhere that the unit won't recognize larger (or at least much larger) capacity disks so the biggest challenge these days would be to find a disk that small!

I'm still finding this a useful machine for stereo field recordings.
It could be worth starting at the source (ie Korg) and working forward from there ? Make it their problem...do they have NOS (new old stock) replacements of that size drive, have they written firmware in the intervening years which would allow either larger drives or SSD to be used ?

I'm sure they'd like to sell you a new replacement machine....but it's probably worth pressing them first to see if they can help with this issue.

That would've been the typical size of a laptop drive around 2005....there may be some NOS of those hanging around somewhere, but I certainly wouldn't try a used one from a PC 'wrecking yard' !

A computer repair shop (one of those small dusty local ones, run by an old guy who never throws anything out) would be a very likely source of these...and he'll probably try to sell you 6 or 10 of them (give him $50 for the lot !)

If you do get lucky and source one, you'll want to contact Korg anyway to see if there's any formatting process required to fit the new one...maybe cloning across from your current drive to the new one would be the smartest way (and you'd probably need to use an HDD docking station for that) Good luck in your search !
Old 15th June 2018
  #668
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
It could be worth starting at the source (ie Korg) and working forward from there ? !
Duh, good suggestion! I didn't even consider that since this machine is no longer made or supported, but it's possible they may have some disks in stock. I don't think formatting involves anything special; the menu has a "format disk drive" command that I use periodically; the operating system is not on the drive so removing the drive doesn't affect that. There haven't been any firmware updates to allow installation of SSDs or larger-capacity drives.

I'm on the fence about sinking any more money into it, as I do have a Sound Devices MixPre 6 that also makes excellent-quality recordings and is more sturdy and practical (not to mention a bit smaller), but the DSD recordings by the MR 1000 are quite remarkable (as you can see by perusing through this ancient thread) and it's still my go-to stereo recorder.
Old 15th June 2018
  #669
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
I'm on the fence about sinking any more money into it, as I do have a Sound Devices MixPre 6 that also makes excellent-quality recordings and is more sturdy and practical (not to mention a bit smaller), but the DSD recordings by the MR 1000 are quite remarkable (as you can see by perusing through this ancient thread) and it's still my go-to stereo recorder.
Drives are definitely still available, some of those on eBay are 'pulled from a working laptop' which could have questionable lifespan, but if you can buy a bulk supply such as Bulk lot of 9 x 40Gb & 1x 30gb IDE PATA laptop hard drives - 2.5 inch | eBay you could afford to put a new one in every couple of years.

It seems they were/are routinely fitted to the Playstation PS3, so folks who service those could be another source of them. it's just a shame to lose working hardware needlessly, and if it serves simply as a backup recorder for you on critical location gigs it will have earned it's keeping status. A simple ebay search for '40GB HDD laptop drives' uncovered tons of them......

Need to verify if it's SATA or PATA/IDE connection pins involved...and if the drive speed is 5400 or 7200
Old 7th August 2018
  #670
Here for the gear
 

The Korg MR-1000 uses a 1/8” hdd, not a 2.5” drive. I purchased one online, too. They should still be available, anyway. Am I misunderstanding something? I hope I’m understanding the above conversation correctly, and I apologize if not.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
T.RayBullard / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
68
beyarecords / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
4
T.RayBullard / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
7

Forum Jump
Forum Jump