The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Anyone know of any mic stand mounts for ORTF? Condenser Microphones
Old 11th October 2006
Lives for gear

Question Anyone know of any mic stand mounts for ORTF?

I've recently discovered the joys of stereo micing techniques. My first foray has been into ORTF.

Problem: it's a pain in the date to use two mic stands, then piss-fart around finding correct distance, angle, etc.

Just wondering if there's such a thing as a mic stand mount specifically designed for ORTF?? I.E., provides mic mounts for a single mic stand at approximate distance and angle??
Old 11th October 2006
Simple little thing I made with an aluminum bar and some thumbscrews, and a spare CAD shockmount... certainly these are available somewhere... Warren?
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone know of any mic stand mounts for ORTF?-ortf-nos-shockmount.jpg  
Old 11th October 2006
Lives for gear

Nice one Joel. Did you model this on a piece of Dr Frankenstein's apparatus?
Old 11th October 2006
Lives for gear

Old 11th October 2006
Funny you should mention it... I see kids with bolts in their necks all the time, who knew it would become such a fashion!
Old 11th October 2006
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone know of any mic stand mounts for ORTF?-mic-bar.jpg  
Old 11th October 2006
Gear maniac

Old 11th October 2006
Lives for gear
mic mounts

The AEA brackets are De-Luxe, and priced accordingly. I borrowed one for a few weeks. This one: http://www.wesdooley.com/images/SMP-17.jpg Nice metalwork, but couldn't justify owning it.

Sabra ST-4 is great FOR SMALL AND LIGHTWEIGHT MIC's. Don't use with AT4050 or other 20 oz. models. Cheap, and a good deal for what it is.

Rubber pad (turntable mat) under stand base and alternating felt pad with 10 pound cast-iron weightlifting plates helps stabilize everything. Did you kick that? Are you all right?

Drilling a little hole or filing a notch will let you lock a counterwight in place better. Not in other peoples' gear. Oops.

Karl
Old 11th October 2006
Lives for gear

One thing that's very handy to have if you're doing ORTF or XY with SDC's is a little widget that raises one of the mics into a higher plane so the bodies can cross over.

Microtech Gefell supply one with the M300 matched pair (along with a very helpful transparency overlay with the angles printed on it) - you can see one of the clips in this pic is longer than the other so when you mount the mics one is raised above the other.

Old 11th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Simple little thing I made with an aluminum bar and some thumbscrews, and a spare CAD shockmount... certainly these are available somewhere... Warren?
Excuse the bickering, but this isn't exactly ORTF, and it will be difficult to get an exact ORTF setup with this beast... Something will be in the way, the cables or the mic bodies themselves... The longer the body, the more difficult it gets.
I used to do it with AKG 460s and swivel joints.

Daniel
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone know of any mic stand mounts for ORTF?-akg-a61.jpg  
Old 11th October 2006
Gear Head

The K&M 23550 is an inexpensive and sturdy alternative.

It is not easy do an ORTF array with pencil mics unless you get them on top of each other. It is easier with side adressed mics like Gefell M930s etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone know of any mic stand mounts for ORTF?-23550.jpg  
Old 11th October 2006
Lives for gear

k+M 235 and shure a27m are two pieces I feel every recordist should have in the collection (if they are doing actual stereo techniques)

the K+M 235 is very durable, and cheap. i own several of them.

for coincident configs, you can simply flip one of the mounting posts upside down and mount the mics that way. I personally cant justify the over the top pricing for AEA mounting products.

Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.RayBullard View Post
k+M 235 and shure a27m are two pieces I feel every recordist should have in the collection (if they are doing actual stereo techniques)

the K+M 235 is very durable, and cheap. i own several of them.

for coincident configs, you can simply flip one of the mounting posts upside down and mount the mics that way. I personally cant justify the over the top pricing for AEA mounting products.

Just got one of these as K&M 23510 and made a great ORTF mount with it.

I stacked two 3/8" male to 5/8" female adapters using those 3/8" to 5/8" adapters that come with every mic and that you think you'll never need. AKG 3/8" Male to 5/8" Female Thread Adapter KM216 B&H

This makes a riser which puts one of the mics about 1.5" higher than the other so the shanks don't obstruct one another when adjusting to 110 degrees. It is much easier to deal with than the Shure stereo mount IMO.
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joba View Post
The K&M 23550 is an inexpensive and sturdy alternative.

It is not easy do an ORTF array with pencil mics unless you get them on top of each other. It is easier with side adressed mics like Gefell M930s etc.
Getting mic cables with 90 degree XLR elbow plug at the female end helps with making ORTF assemblies with pencil mics. Bit harder to find, but I got some from B&H, also possible to solder your own.
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
Getting mic cables with 90 degree XLR elbow plug at the female end helps with making ORTF assemblies with pencil mics. Bit harder to find, but I got some from B&H, also possible to solder your own.
Ditto that. There are also short 5/8s extenders (they are about 1/2" tall) for pretty cheap as well. I also carry a 6" clear plastic protractor for assisting with ORTF... and a 18" bit of 1" aluminum flat bar marked in inches and centimeters out from the center... 17cm is highlighted. For NOS, any piece of A4/8.5x11/typing/copy paper makes a handy 90 degree finder.

FWIW, the easiest cards in my kit to whang into an accurate ORTF is Sennheiser MKH8040s with right-angle XLRFs on a 20' length of Mogami stereo cable. Bump the rear of the connectors off a inexpensive stereo bar at 110 degrees (I have both the $10 OnStage and the $25 K&M/AKG) and you're pretty dang close... especially with the OnStage. Nice, tidy and quick.

MMV.

HB
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

I made an ORTF triangle out of an index card but now I have succeeded in hiding it from myself again. It's somewhere around here.

It really helps that the mic threads are vertical (if that makes sense), the opposite of the Shure device so that gravity doesn't apply torque to the mics and cause everything to come unscrewed. That's why I don't like the Shure.
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

The Shure A27M stereo adapter is great! Somehow i ended up with two of them.
Old 3rd June 2013
Gear Guru

Oooh - 7 year old thread resurrected....

I use the Grace Soace Bar which is clearly marked with distance and angles for a quick and accurate set-up.

Posted from my iPhone with Gearslutz app.
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

A real old thread, but an interesting topic.

For Schoeps active systems:

Schoeps STCg Stereo Mounting Bar for ORTF Microphone System STC

For a less expensive reasonable facsimile and other angles (DIN, NOS, etc.), as well as bars crafted to fit other active systems (Naiant AKG Actives for example), see the following thread at TS:

Login

These bars work well with a Shure A53M. For longer bars, I also use a Rycote Inv-HG mkIII to mount the bar.

There is also the "Vark Bar." Posthorn | MacArthur Group Stereo Bar

You can mount appropriate shocks/spacers on the bar and angle to suit your needs.
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

ORTF is a myth, and nobody has EVER managed to set up a proper ORTF configuration. real engineers use spaced omnis...
Old 4th June 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
ORTF is a myth, and nobody has EVER managed to set up a proper ORTF configuration. real engineers use spaced omnis...
Not even at l'ORTF?
Old 4th June 2013
Quote:
... real engineers ...
What a concept!
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Given To Fly View Post
The Shure A27M stereo adapter is great! Somehow i ended up with two of them.
That's what I use but I only have one.
Old 4th June 2013
Quote:
meh?

I like the K&M bar. It is pretty much exactly 17 cm long, so if you can get the capsules to reach the edges all you have to do is worry about the angle. For any pencil other than the stubbies that of course means using a spacer for one of the mics (a 3/8f to 5/8m adapter screwed into a 5/8f to 3/8m adapter works pretty well). Even Sennheiser 8040s will overlap with a straight XLR connector.
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

Is there a way to setup an ORTF with basic angle calculations? For example, a DIN setup is 20cm apart at a 90 degree angle. Once I measure out 20cm I can eyeball a 90 degree angle and set it up. Is there a geometric trick to setting up an ORTF that allows you to do it in your head? My guess is no seeing as it hasn't been mentioned thus far.
Old 5th June 2013
Old 5th June 2013
Quote:
Real engineers never use spaced omnis, They believe stereo is a passing fad so they record in mono acoustically direct to the wax cylinder.
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

"...stereo is a passing fad..." :-)
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear
Recording a passing fad with ORTF is difficult
I would MS it....
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Recording a passing fad with ORTF is difficult
I would MS it....
Haha awesome!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search