The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Thinking of getting a Apogee Duet or Metric Halo
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

Ah - completely missed that part. Sorry.
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_bj View Post
Not that it really matters at this point, but why did he think he would need to buy a new computer? The ULN-2 is compatible with everything the Duet 2 is compatible with….
You can record using the Metric Halo into an iPad?
Old 30th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarwhisperer View Post
You can record using the Metric Halo into an iPad?
Not as far as I know. The only connection available at this time is via FireWire. Maybe if we get Thunderbolt equipped iPads in the future, this might change. I think BJ missed the part about the iPad.
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

He won't be sorry with a Duet 2 they sound great as do the Quartets as do Metric Halo's both companies Apogee and Metric Halo make great gear. I have found the Metric Halo stuff to be a tad more expensive. I bought my Quartet because it spec'd out at such a high level I would have to had spent 2k to equal its conversion.

The 2882 is older conversion its not bad. AD has a dynamic range of 110 DB A weighted and the DA has a Dynamic range of 120DB A weighted. As does the ULN2.

Both the Duet 2 and Quartet respectively beat that out at AD 114DB A Weighted and DA 123DB A weighted .

So basically the Apogee's spec out a little better conversion wise but they are close. I would say the Mic Pre on the ULN is going to be better than the ones on the 2882 because they are newer Mic Pre's and Metric Halo made improvements in that department. That said Mic Pres do have different flavors and you can turn out great recordings with either unit.
As too whether ones like the ULN 2 Mic vs the Duet 2 Mic Pre its up to the person.

Cost wise though the Metric Halo ULN 2 is more than a Duet 2 and by a fair amount. For the price of ULN 2 you could buy a Quartet and have more analog inputs.

Though considering the OP was talking about ULN2 vs Duet 2 more inputs with the ULN 2 but your spending $800 more.
Old 31st October 2013
Gear Nut

Used friend's Apogee Duet 2 for many months, have MH ULN-2 myself.

Apogee conversion is very nice up to 192kHz while ULN-2 does "only" 96kHz.

But comparing those two conversions I prefer the MH conversion that sounds more towards "anlog" or "musical", while Apogee sounds "digital-analog-ish" or "straight". Note first of all the difference is so small and it's all subjective opinion and purely a taste thing. IMHO, crunchy, highly compressed and loud stuff probably comes better out with Apogee converters while the dynamic stuff is MH speciality all the way for me.

Ditto on pre-amps, Duet 2 sounds rather "straight" (nor "musical" nor "monotonic" side) while ULN-2 is slightly more to the "musical" side. But maybe because ULN-2 is rated "only" to 72db hardware-based pres, meaning a little hardware noise which I actually prefer getting that "analog-ish" taste on things while i.e. ULN-8 has better specs on pre-amps.

As said the difference is small and the 'different strokes for different blokes' terms apply.

For me ULN-2 is way more cost-effective since it has powerful ITB capability the Duet hasn't - 80bit mixing, powerful console, routing, external effects send/returns and combined with Character is my secret combo the Duet can never touch. Plus a stand-alone ability for monitoring or mic-preing w/o computer needed. Those features are worth 3X the price of Duet 2 if you ask me. It's a true pro hardware and I do mostly studio work so hence I prefer the ULN-2 as the optimum sound and ability package that Duet 2 can't compete with.

Yet if I'd do mobile home-studio recording only it'd be Duet 2 for me since it's sooo compact with all that conversion power, easy to carry and cheaper compared to ULN-2 if you don't need ITB and other features.

Hopefully this makes choosing easier for those who's having a similar dilmma :]

Just me 2c.
Old 31st October 2013
Gear Addict

Uln2 have 4 channels 2 pre and 2 line in and they have adat So you can add 8 more channels too Huge fan (its old design but they got right)

All I can say is Uln 2 is built like a tank there bullet proof ! (mine only got kill by G5 blowing up and talking out the firewire No way can i blame it)

If could afford it I buy A new one tomorrow !!!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search