The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Nagra VI build date
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Head

Nagra VI build date

Hi -

I interested in a used Nagra VI & have been told it is hardware revision 0100 - from this information can someone tell me how old the unit is?

One reason I ask is I was at the Nagra booth at AES in NYC over the weekend & was told that the original Nagra VI mother board was "improved" with a new one within the last couple of years...

thanks,

pete
Old 22nd October 2013
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Pete,

I cant tell you how to determine the date of the version you listed, however John Owens from Nagra has confirmed to me there has been an update since my unit was manufactured.

The difference stated was that the newer mother board has corrected the slight noise issue I am having when recording at 192kHz. However, I shall not be sending my unit back for a replacement motherboard.

You should contact John directly - he is very helpful. [email protected]

Larry
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Head

gentlemen

1st - David, thanks for your most thoughtful reply & link. Playing the puzzle, is there a title in particular you recommend? Perhaps 'Don't get Scrooged', or 'Don't Worry, Make Money'? Of course then there's 'You Can Be Happy No Matter What'. That one seems especially a good bet for me -

But seriously, what prompts the question at all are reports from a very experienced pro sound mixer, Nagra VI owner (and huge fan) of analog outputs blowing their TI DRV135 chips, more than once, likely caused by downstream spikes / surges from running feeds to suspect cameras. So not an issue internal to Nagra per se, but still one which they took the care to address, as things like this do happen in the messy world of film / video production in which I often find myself. And something John @ AES thought important enough to tell me about. So I simply enquire.

2nd - Larry, Thanks. But it was in fact John I was speaking with at AES and while he was indeed very helpful, he was not exactly sure on the year. But it was great finally getting a feel for the physical machine after all of the reading and listening - especially from all you 'Absolute Nagrists' here on Gearslutz.
And I loved it. And this from someone who knows he will need to use it slung over a shoulder running about at times. But there will also be those times when I can record music or ambience in a jungle or desert somewhere & smile.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Peter,
My NVI is also hardware version 0100. So I am expecting that this is the old version.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
1st - David, thanks for your most thoughtful reply & link. Playing the puzzle, is there a title in particular you recommend? Perhaps 'Don't get Scrooged', or 'Don't Worry, Make Money'? Of course then there's 'You Can Be Happy No Matter What'. That one seems especially a good bet for me -
Sorry about the flippant remark.

My version is 0100 too. I have not heard any noise anywhere. But I certainly don't record at 192kHz.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

The noted fault that was corrected was a rising high freq. noise above 45kHz. when recording at 192k.

This so called fault was discovered by a client of a friend of mine. It was "perceived" to be a fault by some laboratory measurement freaks.

It is measurable, but not audible.

I have not asked for any new motherboard.

Absolute Nagrist Fair reporting in. . .

GDAN--Gazette and Digest for the Absolute Nagrist---"Gee, Dan"---as mentioned to Danny Grimes, head of Nagra US.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear
My hardware version is 0100 and my machine is around 2 yrs old.
I enjoy noise above 45kHz, it is one of my favourite frequencies.
Roger
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
The noted fault that was corrected was a rising high freq. noise above 45kHz. when recording at 192k.

This so called fault was discovered by a client of a friend of mine. It was "perceived" to be a fault by some laboratory measurement freaks.

It is measurable, but not audible.

I have not asked for any new motherboard.

Absolute Nagrist Fair reporting in. . .

GDAN--Gazette and Digest for the Absolute Nagrist---"Gee, Dan"---as mentioned to Danny Grimes, head of Nagra US.
Certainly not audible but did make me cautious as to why meters were showing signal when no input signal present. Absolutely no reason not to purchase the unit you are looking at Peter
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear
Who needs 192 ?
Audiophiles perhaps
Not wizened recordists
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Who needs 192 ?
Audiophiles perhaps
Not wizened recordists
I agree Roger, was doing some experiments
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Who needs 192 ?
Audiophiles perhaps
Not wizened recordists
People that record sound effects for movies etc record at 192. It allows them to pitch sounds down and use them for things not originally intended.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Head

gentlemen

I wasn't even aware of the 192k matter, certainly not a deal breaker for me anyway... as mentioned, it was the other issue that prompted the post, but for that there are workarounds.

Thanks all for the advice and replies- muy apreciado.

peter
Old 10th November 2013
There also has been some additional hardware factory modifications since the units inception, like increased power over the USB port for external HDD, second USB port for keyboard, protection from the analog line outputs from (accidental) phantom power, etc... so I imagine that when the factory ran another production order for main boards, they simply added these mods and corrections, including the 45KHz f=192KHz mod, which is much more believable than retooling simply for a very rare spec issue for a very small percentage of VI users.
Old 19th December 2013
Lives for gear

FWIW, I believe that one other mod on the newer board was to allow an additional setting for mic input sensitivity. The original hardware allows selection of 10 and 2.5mV/pa, whereas the newer allows selection of 30, 10, and 2.5mv/Pa.
Old 19th December 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing View Post
FWIW, I believe that one other mod on the newer board was to allow an additional setting for mic input sensitivity. The original hardware allows selection of 10 and 2.5mV/pa, whereas the newer allows selection of 30, 10, and 2.5mv/Pa.
I have mobo version 0100, and have 2.8,10, and 30 mV/Pa mic sensitivities.
Old 19th December 2013
Lives for gear

!?ii Hmm, then maybe there is another change, maybe a daughterboard or something. I had emailed John Owens in the past regarding this and understood that the hardware change to allow me to have the three settings was somewhat expensive. I usually use 10mV/pa for sdc anyway so I stayed put. Do you ever use the 30mV/pa? If so why?
Old 19th December 2013
Lives for gear
Yes I do
Recently with a Citadell wind Band, veryLOUD and a jazz trio with very close breathy vocals.
I miss the variable gain trim pot I have on my Sonosax SX mixer, however the Nagra mic pre amps are beyond reproach,as ever.
Old 19th December 2013
Lives for gear

Yes, this past weekend I regretted not routing two mics through the Nagra EMP so that I could a 30mvpa setting. Still, no problems and the preamps always sound excellent.

Back to the topic, it seems there are some other differences with the VI asides from hardware revision.
Old 20th December 2013
Gear Guru

The Nagra VI improved with every firmware revision.

I had mine modified a couple of years back to the new side panel with the upgraded USB power option and the extra USB socket.
Old 20th December 2013
Lives for gear

One thing I forgot to mention is that the Nagra VI is excellent because it is so good as a very complete package. From 4 great micpres, to top-notch ADC and DAC (I've used both Lavry gold and dCS' best), to flexible real-time storage options and automatic backup, to 6 or 8 track recording, mixing, DC powering capability, hirose out, etc. etc.

My VI is probably a very early build (even though I bought it new in April 2010) and it is a pleasure to use, always sounds excellent, and I've had very few problems.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search