The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How do they record audio for sitcoms?
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

How do they record audio for sitcoms?

How do they record audio for sitcoms like The Big Bang Theory?

Do they use boom mics, or hidden clip on mics?
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
Booms in studios
Possibly radios / booms for exteriors
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Both, boom and hidden lavs...

You have "behind the scenes" for almost everything on youtube - you can check there and see for yourself...
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Booms in studios
And everything is blocked out and rehearsed so the boom operator(s) know exactly who is going to be speaking, when, and where, and facing which direction. Oh, the joy of scripted drama.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Guru

I attended a workshop with the guy who mixed for 'Seinfeld'. He had loops of 'city street noise' that would go up when Kramer opened the window. Stuff like that.

One of the things I found most interesting was that he said they never actually had the telephone "ring" on the set. The director would cue it and everybody would look up as if they heard the phone, but the actual sound effect always had to be inserted in post.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Seeing a sitcom set is pretty fascinating... There is often a catwalk over the set and the boom ops are moving around from boom to boom to capture dialog as it happens. They are often suspended on mounts that allow for them to move around and aim pretty easily. Then there is a big pile of microphones over the audience and the live shows are captured in front of a live audience to get that laugh track.

--Ben
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

We use one of these http://www.jlfisher.com/6Base-7Boom-dd.pdf for sitcoms.

There's not a lot of guys in Holland that can operate one anymore.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear
I used to operate a Fisher Boom, we had two for drama sets and a hand held boom for small spaces
Great fun for live shows
Tracking and crabbing booms and camera peds / cranes could result in nightmare cable tangles...
We also had a light weight Fisher that went in the Props Truck for location shoots.
Lovely view from the dolly,always knew what was going on up there.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
I used to operate a Fisher Boom, we had two for drama sets and a hand held boom for small spaces
Great fun for live shows
Tracking and crabbing booms and camera peds / cranes could result in nightmare cable tangles...
We also had a light weight Fisher that went in the Props Truck for location shoots.
Lovely view from the dolly,always knew what was going on up there.
Yet another dying art.

D.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Yet another dying art.
But those things were invented back when the smallest microphone was the size of your head. Now we have mics that are smaller than a match-head and you can place them almost anywhere without being seen.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

Given an option, though, I'd much rather record with a shotgun or other "real" mic than a lav. The sound is much more natural.

--Ben
Old 13th June 2014
Here for the gear

Hi!

I was wondering the same. I am a young boom operator in germany. Did some films for TV and cinema (omg they pay so bad in germany !)

I love watching two and a half men (in english of course ^^).
In many scenes there is no possibility for radios (half naked, bikini...).
And you can hear often phasing. So i wonder, how can you boom there? All the lights are from top in the studio (saw some pics, there are alot) so they must cast a shadow?!
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

It's not about casting no shadow.
It's about knowing where to cast a shadow without being seen.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search