The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Schoeps R2C Tube experience?
Old 14th October 2013
Here for the gear
Schoeps R2C Tube experience?

Hi!
Anyone have any experience with these mic's specifically with opera voices?

Schoeps Active Double Extension Tube R2C KC
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

These are not microphones, but extension tubes to separate the mic capsule from the preamp, to allow for very discreet positioning for the capsule in live events.

A Schoeps is made up of a preamp part, CMC5 or CMC6 and a capsule option, of which there is an abundance.

They are probably the best microphone system in the world for recording operatic voices.
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
These are not microphones, but extension tubes to separate the mic capsule from the preamp, to allow for very discreet positioning for the capsule in live events.

A Schoeps is made up of a preamp part, CMC5 or CMC6 and a capsule option, of which there is an abundance.

They are probably the best microphone system in the world for recording operatic voices.

So it's no different (technical) from normal CMC 5/6 + MK2 /4 yes?

I so understand that this system can be used to strengthen the quality of a live performance
and recording live concerts as well as for the studio recording right?
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Audio no different to normal mic assembly. Nothing is "strengthend". Discreet and correct spot mic positioning is its forte.
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear
I just wonder and don't understand why the system Schoeps R2C Twin version which includes (2) CMC6 + and (2) MK41 $1,995.00 is cheaper than if you buy Mic's simply as a separate or as Colette Series which cost around $3,785.00
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyblack View Post
I just wonder and don't understand why the system Schoeps R2C Twin version which includes (2) CMC6 + and (2) MK41 $1,995.00 is cheaper than if you buy Mic's simply as a separate or as Colette Series which cost around $3,785.00
That seems like a mistake to me. If it's true you'd better grab them!
Old 15th October 2013
The price for is for the R2C Collette active extension tube only. It does not include any microphones. On top of that, it also does not include the base or vertical tubes.
All the best,
-mark
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Maniac

pretty sure that's the (new) price for just the dual tube, maybe including the floor stand base - especially if you are talking about the longer (1200mm) one - given the price I've paid for older, single RC1200 tubes in the past. The actual mics (ie: Capsule and Preamp set) are extra! If you have indeed found a complete set for that price - tell me where!!!

For Opera singers of any professional standing, if you place the capsule closer than arms-length away from their mouth, you may find you need the little inline -10dB pad module between the capsule and the top end of the tube. If you use shorter tubes and have the capsule a bit further away, it is un-necessary.

I assume that by 'strengthening' the performance, you meant 'reinforcing' - or in other words, using the system for both PA sound as well as recording. That is indeed one reason for the dual mics on tubes as they first came to prominence with the Three Tenors concerts. The basic idea is two-fold. Firstly it allows you to use a tighter capsule (maybe a MK41) for the mic feeding the PA, to combat feedback with stage monitor speakers, and on the other tube, have a MK4 or MK21 capsule for the recording / broadcast feed. Secondly, using a separate mic for the PA and Recording feed means that if your PA mic is 'regenerating' (the hollow sound experienced when a mic is just below the level it starts to feed back), that is not as audible in the recording / broadcast mix as if you were sharing the same mic. Finally, as Schoeps say on their website, and assuming both the PA console and the Recording are attached to both mics, you have redundancy (backup) in case one fails.
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear
ok, here is the link for Schoeps R2C 1200 KC 0.5g Twin version $1,995.00
Pro-Sound Schoeps R2C 1200 KC 0.5g Twin version of RC1200 KC, two RC-tubes in parallel, includes RG88 swival

I thought it was a complete set, but maybe you're right, it's probably not mic's, capsules etc... included, well... and where we can find the full set of this system, any internet-company offers a full set, how much will it cost or should be purchased all separately?
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

nope, just two tubes and a clamp.
Old 16th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
nope, just two tubes and a clamp.
so, when you see the super cool dual Schoeps stand on tv you get
R2C Tube and clamp $2000
Stand Base $200
1m upright tube $125
2 microphones $4000

Grand total: about $6500 here in the states.
...and you almost never hear the video producer complain about the mic in the shot because folks have gotten so used to seeing them. (We can thank the Three Tenors for that)
All the best,
-mark
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Its only the muppet nose windsocks left to annoy people and they are kind of charming.
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear
so many different capsules from Schoeps, please could someone explain
what capsule is better for pure operatic voice recording: MK21, MK4, MK41 and what is MK41-G or MK41-S etc... and which one to buy that would not have to make a mistake?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

G=gray, S=satin nickel, no effect on the sound.

Then: the entire Schoeps family shares a certain basic sound. You select a capsule based on its directivity, or the distance at which you want to use it. Any capsule may be used for "pure operatic voice recording", depending on where you want to put the mic in relation to the source and to the space. That's the Schoeps philosophy.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Nice for piano and violin as well.
Vadim Repin Plays Tchaikovsky : Sentimental Waltz - YouTube

and that incredible masterpiece Debussy sonata.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vBu96yn-cA
Old 19th October 2013
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
G=gray, S=satin nickel, no effect on the sound.
Any capsule may be used for "pure operatic voice recording", depending on where you want to put the mic in relation to the source and to the space. That's the Schoeps philosophy.
really? I don't believe that all of them can be used for operatic voice recording,

for example here is what Schoeps say about MK41S capsule:

It is used primarily in voiceover and sound reinforcement applications, and wherever good speech audibility in a noisy environment is a prime requirement. It is suited for the recording of music in exceptional cases only. When it is used at a distance of ca. 10 cm flat frequency response can be obtained.

therefore capsule like MK41S, not suitable for Classic Vocal
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

No, you are right.
It's impossible to record operatic voice with a supercardioid.

Old 19th October 2013
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
No, you are right.
It's impossible to record operatic voice with a supercardioid.

I do not understand your irony, of course the point here is not in "supercardioid"!
I just see that there are different versions of cspsule's ( MK2, 4, 41, 5... with G, S, V etc...) and I want to understand what is the correct to buy and do not make a mistake.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyblack View Post
I do not understand your irony, of course the point here is not in "supercardioid"!
I just see that there are different versions of cspsule's ( MK2, 4, 41, 5... with G, S, V etc...) and I want to understand what is the correct to buy and do not make a mistake.
Read the Schoeps catalog on their web site or write for a hard copy. It takes studying as well as asking questions to learn their catalog and the myriad variations.

To answer your question about PURE OPERATIC VOICE, use a MK4 or a MK21 or a MK22 capsule. Hook them up to a CMC 5 or a CMC6 amplifier. You don't need the stage stands unless it's a television show.

Only a few people here on GS know the catalog well and the Schoeps system takes a long time to learn.
Old 19th October 2013
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
To answer your question about PURE OPERATIC VOICE, use a MK4 or a MK21 or a MK22 capsule.
Now I have the opportunity to purchase a bit cheaper MK4s cardioid capsule, it's good for my requirements? It's big different between MK4 and MK4s ?
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Look up the answer to your question yourself. We don't spoon feed here.
Old 19th October 2013
Go to the schoeps showroom site, it will answer all of your questions
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search