The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recording Fenny Poppers
Old 13th October 2013
Recording Fenny Poppers

Hello all, just seeking some quick advice;

I want to record the next 'Fenny Poppers' custom this November (Fenny Stratford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), which are essentially, small cannons. This need not be such a critical recording, as it is just for my own enjoyment/archive, but what I am planning to use is at least a pair of dynamics (thinking Beyer M201 TG in A/B or adjusted to taste) and a pair of MKH8040s in ORTF.

I am just a little concerned as to how the 8040s will handle the SPLs and whether this could cause damage; I see the 8040 has a max SPL of 142db but not at all sure how loud these things are! On the other hand, I am much less concerned with the Beyers performance with regard to high SPLs.
I do not plan to get too close, perhaps double the rough distance of this video (below) or further (?), as I am just as interested in the resulting reverberations as I am the 'explosions' themselves.

Any advice is very welcome.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGMq...layer_embedded
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

What I have seen posted by those who know is that analog is the better way to record explosions. Hopefully the movie RE's will chome in and tell you how.
Old 13th October 2013
Thanks; Just to add, I'll be using a 744t and Mixpre. Thinking to Run M201>Channels 1-2 (still open to suggestions regard dynamic mic choice here..) 8040s>Mixpre>3-4

I *DO* have a 2 channel Uher Report IC aswell..
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear
MKH s will take plenty of level,though the classic have a 10dB pad which is useful
I have recorded cannons close up with a MS pair (40/30) with M facing away to pick up reverb and slap ,this works well.
I also used spaced omnis with great results
Old 13th October 2013
Thanks Rolo; matched pair MKH classics would have been my first choice, for their -10db pad.. alas, don't own any apart from an MKH30. MS at 180° is an interesting idea; But I use an 8040 for the mid. Perhaps reverse OTRF will do well to attenuate enough of the shockwave and catch the resulting reflections.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear
MS is better because of its ease of Rycote ing
Old 15th October 2013
I have a Rycote ORTF MZL connector windshield kit
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear
Thats good, I used to record quite close, never had and overloading,but did engage the pads.
The diapraghms are Telflon coated fabric I seem to remember....
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Nut

Not sure if it will help or not, but on the 2 disk version of Master and Commander, there's a long bit in one documentary about how they recorded the cannons. The disk also has a cool interactive bit where you can select each mic pair individually, or in groups to hear the sound of each one. A part I particularly liked was how they used a mic, pointed at the ground about 30 feet away, parallel to the cannon. It captured some really good low information. That actually happened as an accident, because the engineer was just casually standing there, with the mic he was holding, pointing down when they fired off a shot.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear
Boundry layer effect
An MKH 816 laid on the ground was remarkable for that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search