The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ultra-portable mic stand Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

Ultra-portable mic stand

Any suggestions on a mic stand that collapses to a very small, lightweight footprint?

Setting up a mobile rig.
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

Have five of the small air-damped manfrottos, they're great. Not super tall of course but very useful.
Old 29th May 2013
This place HGR Industrial Surplus - We Buy & Sell Everything! had a ton of small light weight black stands and I bought quite a few. They were made for some industrial use but had 3/8"-18 adapters on them. They go up to about 7 feet and compact down to about 24". I am sure if you look around on the WWW you can find something similar. Since these were "surplus" they were very reasonably priced.

Best of Luck!
Old 2nd June 2013
Gear Head
This:

Lowel Uni-TO Light Stand - 8' (2.4m) UN-55 B&H Photo Video

Built to last forever. I chopped the legs so that I can fit it in theaters.
Old 2nd June 2013
Lives for gear
Does the Lowel stand have metal clasps? Stability? What mic bar are you using?

Generally, is 8' tall enough or should I be looking for 10 -12'?
Old 2nd June 2013
Gear Head
Most of the time "ultra-portable" to me means compact. You won't find, for instance, ultra-portable 15' light or mic stands, not ones I'd want to use.

The Lowel stand is metal, and I *think* the knobs are plastic, but they are high-density, not cheap, and threads won't strip. The top thread is a 5/8". I put a T-bar on it. I use it as a tape-from-the-seats stand (often just bungee it), and also for on-stage recording. I chopped the legs to make it easier to fit in a theater row, and when I use it on stage, I gaff-tape it to the floor. With the chopped legs, I can place them flat on the floor, at the expense of some height, but it's more stable. When secured in those ways (bungee or gaff) it's very stable. I would never use it without anchoring it in some way.

It is ultra-portable and high quality. I don't know what you're recording or where, so only you know if you'll need more than 8'. If you're recording a chorus or orchestra, and running a stand in front of the conductor, you'll need some height, and this is not the stand for that scenario.

Last edited by thunderbolt; 2nd June 2013 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 2nd June 2013
Lives for gear
The B & H reviews were good, but your description is more useful. Thanks
Old 18th January 2015
Gear interested

Boom and mic clip

Hi all, does this manfrotto stand Manfrotto 1051BAC Alu Mini Air Cushioned Compact Stand, 1051BAC work with this on-stage boom set and any mic clip?

On-Stage MSA-9500 Microphone Boom System MSA9500 B&H Photo Video

What other choices of light, portable booms are there for the manfrotto stand? Many thanks!!
Old 18th January 2015
RPC
Gear Addict

A lot of people here don't like it, but the Shure S15A is lightweight and goes up to 15 feet. I take mine on the train/subway/bus regularly and it's still working after fifteen years.
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear
I have the same problem, but I need something that I can pack in a carry-on for travel. 7-8 feet high is enough. I normally carry my Gitzo 1542 tripod for photography, and I am going to make a few carbon sections that will screw onto the center post to get the height I need. I was just going to buy some of these couplers and pot them into some carbon tubes that will fit in my carry-on. My only worry is that the tripod is so stiff and tightly-built that when you flick it with your finger, it makes a tone, like a tuning fork. I have to investigate that further to see if it's going to be a problem.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC View Post
A lot of people here don't like it, but the Shure S15A is lightweight and goes up to 15 feet. I take mine on the train/subway/bus regularly and it's still working after fifteen years.
They are very lightweight for their height, but also fragile--I've been through several. The tightening knobs on the older versions tend to strip after awhile (so then you use tape to keep the sections up), and the metal is soft enough that the tubes can be damaged if not carefully handled. The other issue is that an S15a raised to its full height is a tippy thing unless you have sandbags or etc to weight it down (not exactly travel-friendly), even with a small mic. A friend has suggested using "camelback" type water bags filled on location, I might look into that. That all said I still use my S15as pretty often--the size and weight are very attractive.

philp
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
...A friend has suggested using "camelback" type water bags filled on location, I might look into that. That all said I still use my S15as pretty often--the size and weight are very attractive.

philp
Carry some inexpensive black cloth (small WalMart tablecloths work well) and buy a couple of gallons of grocery store drinking water on the way to the gig... I think they're still substantially under $2.00 at US stores. Use short bungees to hang them from the top of the tripod's extended legs assembly, and you're good. Dump the water and reuse the containers... or not.

It's saved me from a long night of acid reflux with a pair of M296s atop a rather lightweight 6-stage Manfrotto (branded Bogen, actually... it's old and not sold anymore) up at 14' or so on more than one occasion. The jug, and a heap of gaff tape securing the ends of the legs...

Camelback would perhaps more elegantly eliminate the need for a small draping cloth... but it works for me.

HB
Old 19th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC View Post
I owned a pair of these for years but the fragile nature of the stands along with not being able to depend on them staying up caused me to look elsewhere. I think Shure had the right idea but when it came to manufacturing them it was not so well done. Mine slipped badly and when fully extended were very prone to waving in the wind. Bogen Manfrotto makes some very nice stands but they are heavier and cost more. There are also some Chinese imports that seem to be well constructed and worth looking at. Photographic lighting stands with adapters are my favorites and we have about six of them for various uses.

Best of luck in finding a stand that will suit your needs and if you find something GREAT please let us know.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear
Lotus7 posted his DIY carbon fiber tube extension build here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remo...nsion-diy.html

If you don't like the shiny 3/8 adapters used in this build, sources for the black ones were here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remo...-adapters.html

If an extension tube is resonating, I suppose it could be stuffed with fiberglass insulation or you could spray in foam insulation used for doors and windows. Don't use the spray foam that has unlimited expansion or it could crack the tube.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
Any suggestions on a mic stand that collapses to a very small, lightweight footprint?
Not that the OP cares any more, but somebody might one day. So... I've been using old Avenger a635b light stands. You'll need an adapter for the 5/8 inch "baby" spigot to convert to 5/8-27 mic holder threads.

The joy of this stand is that it's reasonably steady at full extension (3.8m), it only weighs about 2.5 kg, and it collapses to just a hair over a meter tall which makes it easy to get them into all kinds of cases, car trunks, etc.

These were replaced with the A0035b, which isn't as tall, and weights more, but has a sliding leg if you need to set up on uneven ground.

Finally, if you need a boom, the Avenger d600cb fits it, and gives you either 2m of reach, or another 2m of height, or a combination. Interestingly, the boom weighs more (3.6 kg) and is a little taller when collapsed (1.2m). But then, a boom has to not bend while extended parallel to the floor, so this isn't really a surprise.

If you use a boom for reach, absolutely use sandbags!
Old 21st January 2015
Lives for gear
Thanks for those links, rocks! I hadn't seen them before and there are some good ideas in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Lotus7 posted his DIY carbon fiber tube extension build here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remo...nsion-diy.html

If you don't like the shiny 3/8 adapters used in this build, sources for the black ones were here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remo...-adapters.html

If an extension tube is resonating, I suppose it could be stuffed with fiberglass insulation or you could spray in foam insulation used for doors and windows. Don't use the spray foam that has unlimited expansion or it could crack the tube.
Old 6th April 2015
Gear interested

I needed a mic stand that would fold to a short length and very pleased with this Auray MS-5220T Short Tripod Microphone Stand with Telescoping Boom: http://www.aurayaudio.com/detail?sku=755882
Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear

The Manfrotto stands are awesome. I have several and use them constantly. I use the Heil SB-2 boom arm with them:
Heil Sound SB-2 Small Microphone Boom Arm | Musician's Friend

I've also seen some write ups on the new goStand from Airturn that look pretty cool. A bit expensive IMO but looks pretty nice. Haven't used it myself though.
goStand

-Mike
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear

For DPA 4060/61 pairs, pretty much everything I looked at was overkill... until I saw some cheap telescopic carbon-fibre fishing poles - just several sliding sections, with a rubber bung at one end to keep it all together when closed, and a small eyelet at the other for the fishing line to go thru. I've seen these up to 8' at least, I think longer are available also. I drilled a hole across the rubber bung so I could slide the thinnest section of rod thru it, having dismounted that first, its length being just right on its own to get me Onno's preferred spacing for these omnis when they hang off either end. Securing the bottom end depends on the location, and this Slutz' imagination, or lack of it.
Old 8th April 2015
Lives for gear
Panamic booms have a threaded base that a Manfrotto collapsable base from a magic arm fits
This enables a 12' or more transportable stand
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear

I HATE AIR CUSHONING, so that's out. Think about it before you buy. It will slow up your packing process.
Old 10th April 2015
Low cost, light weight aluminum camera tripods work for me here. They fold up to nothing.
Old 11th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Low cost, light weight aluminum camera tripods work for me here. They fold up to nothing.
Good call. For outdoor use one could drill holes in the feet and use aluminium tent pegs for some good earthing (), screw hooks for fastening it to a tree, maybe suction pads (for indoor use).
Old 8th October 2018
Here for the gear

I'd recommend the AirTurn goStand - very sturdy and the biggest section collapses to 18" - boom is available too
Old 9th October 2018
Lives for gear

And in a necro-reply: OLD (like 1980s) Shure S-15: not bad if you take care of them. NEWer (like since 2000 or so) Shure S-15: JUNK. Terrible quality. They look more substantial than the old model but I assure you they are NOT. I still have some of the old S15s that come out as backups etc once in awhile, but ALL the newer model S-15s have gone to the dump. Shure should be ashamed to put their name on those.
Old 9th October 2018
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search