The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Mics for classical guitar. Condenser Microphones
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Mics for classical guitar.

Hi.
I'm looking for a good mic (or a pair) to record classical guitar (bossa nova, jazz style).
It would make company to Neve 1073 DPA or Millenia HV3C (in a near future: Api3124 and DAV BG2).
Any recommendations? thx
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

This is a very difficult question, I don't think it has ever been asked in any audio group or forum...
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Thx for the very informative answer!!!!
You rock dude !!!! thumbsup thumbsup
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

For your information, I already did that before post and didn't find any effective answer related to my scenario.

I would accept this kind of advice from a moderator, but not from another user which is here for much less time than I do and using unnecessary, cynical and ironic (germanic?) sense of humor.

I have used this forum for long time and was luck enough to get a lot of help and good advices, and I didn't exitate to help people when I feel confident to.

So, from now on, I will not even read anything you read, I will just focus on real advices from serious user and not clowns as you.... so you can shut your stupid mouth on. Ignored. Até nunca mais, trouxa fuuck
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonauta View Post
another user which is here for much less time than I
Are you proud of this?
Others would have told you the same. This is simply THE single most frequent question on boards like this one....
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

dfegad

If you've been here so long, you've read 100 threads on the subject, and you know what the usual suspects are... In the end, it's your ears that decide. If you buy something just based on recommendations and then don't like it, what do you do?
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

B&K (DPA) mics work great, or some Earthworks. Use cardoid (4011) if you have a crappy room, omni (4006) if you don't, etc.

BTW I don't recally this being discussed recently, or for a long time for that matter. Not classical guitar anyway...
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Maybe the guy wants a fresh opinion.. I don’t know why people are so critical.
Get a life ....
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi.
I'm looking for a good mic (or a pair) to record classical guitar (bossa nova, jazz style).
1. KM84s (worth every penny if you can pick up a good pair used).

2. Beyer MC930 (astounding SDC exhibiting rich detail and is close to KM84, but with more output and super quiet. Smooth sparkling highs and a midrange to die for. The low end is lucious and rivals some of the better LDCs, but never gets muddy).

3. M-300 (finally got to work with these and I like them more than the newer KM184s, which is also an excellent mic).

4. SM81 (still one of the best budget condensors with a ruler flat response).

I picked up the Beyers specifically for nylon string guitar and chose them over other great contenders. They are phenomenal.
Old 1st September 2006
Gear Head
I haven't used other ribbons on a classical guitar, but a Royer R122 works great. Experiment with front and back side because they sound different. It really handles the transients well (smoothing it out). I mix it in with KM184. Nice combination!!!!
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Josephson c617 with MK221 Caps..

Audio technica 4050..yep! phenomenal mic

schoeps CMC641

Gefell m300

Gefell m930

DPA 4006

Josephson c42

earthworks are detailed/clean, but fairly noisy.

Coles 4038

beyer m130/m160
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi.
It would make company to Neve 1073 DPA or Millenia HV3C (in a near future: Api3124 and DAV BG2).
Any recommendations? thx
Gefell M294 or 295
For the jazzier vibe try the Royers. I'd go for the new tube version 122V first.

Other possibilities abound but those choices will not dissapoint for your application
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Hi all, thx for the kind and rich responses, so far! I will take a look on all the advices.

DJUI5!
I had real good experience with a pair of B&K 4006 in a big room, using it as a piano close mic.
I'm not familiar with the 4011. What's the main noticeable difference between them?
Would check the Earthworks too.

Hi Effectsnut.. thx. You got the point :-)

Amek Guy
I have heard good things about the Beyer MC930, I will give it a try for sure.

Pikespak.
The only that makes me afraid of buy Royers, is that its very hard to find a ribbon replacement around here.
How is the position combination you do with KM184 and the Royer?

Trey.
Glad too see an AT in the list, they are easy to find and try out around here.

Cornvalley.
I'm really looking forward to hear that R122V!

What about the preamps I have?
Who of them do you think I should connect those mics?
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornvalley View Post
Gefell M294 or 295
For the jazzier vibe try the Royers. I'd go for the new tube version 122V first.

Other possibilities abound but those choices will not dissapoint for your application

Agree on all of the above. I'd add Geffel M300, and maybe UMT70.S. The Josephson C617 with Gefell MK221 cap, which I think someone mentioned before, might be the best of the bunch. C617
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Geffels are fantastic on classical acoustic guitar.
I found Geffel (275/274) and Brauner (VM-1) to work well together, too.
Also, DPA 4041S if you want very clean and realistic sound.
Ribbons can add warmth and smoothness, but it's not what is always necessary, especially if character of instrument doesn't require it.
Clean preamps here are must.
Hardy
Pendulum Audio
DACS
etc.
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Brauner (for a detailed sound with a lot of hi end)
Earthworks (for a natural sound)
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Any good microphone will work for classical guitar.

Many tend towards the un bright type of mic when doing this kind of work.

Quality condensers from AKG, Schoeps, Pearl, Shure etc.
Old 1st September 2006
Lives for gear

Mics for classical guitar...

Stereo? I love the Rode NT-4. Mono? I have many more expensive mics to choose from, but I almost always end up using an Oktava MK-012 with the omni capsule. I find it's just as important to choose the right guitar.
Old 2nd September 2006
Gear Head

DPA 4090

The new DPA 4090 has been designed for that very purpose.

I see that a handful of people have quite rightly advised you to use a DPA 4006. The 4006 is extremely expensive Around US$2,200. The 4090 around US$700.

It has been developed from the lower priced 4060 (mini) range capsule. It's been flattened and a body added. The SPL handling is unreal - upward of 130dB SPL and it's frequency response is outstanding. I have been asked, why buy a 4006, when these are so cheap. The answer is that in classical recording, where there are a lot of very quiet moments, microphone self noise is an issue and the 4006 is as quiet as a mic gets, the 4090 displays higher self noise. It's still extremely low in self noise compared to most high end products, but not in comparison to the 4006.

If you click on our link below - find DPA Microphones on the left hand side of the page - click on the link to the 4090. At the bottom of the page you will find some red text, which is a link to the 4090 "Application Guide." This is a passage that I have written about using omnidirectional mics in the studio with particular reference to the 4090.

If you go to www.dpamicrophones.com you will find a dealer in your part of the world. Hope this helps.
Old 2nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Any good microphone will work for classical guitar.

Many tend towards the un bright type of mic when doing this kind of work.

Quality condensers from AKG, Schoeps, Pearl, Shure etc.
This is a nice true statement!

Positioning would be more difficult with certain mics, but the room is more important than which "good" mic is used. (If you were looking at just the room-mic variables)
Old 2nd September 2006
High End Moderator

Soundfield Mk V, hands down the best mic I've ever heard on any acoustic guitar, short of the Sheffield mics, which might not be easy to get your hands on.
Old 2nd September 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener View Post
Soundfield Mk V, hands down the best mic I've ever heard on any acoustic guitar.
I could not agree more
Old 2nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
DJUI5!
I had real good experience with a pair of B&K 4006 in a big room, using it as a piano close mic.
I'm not familiar with the 4011. What's the main noticeable difference between them?
Would check the Earthworks too.

4011's are Cardoid. They sound roughly the same, just different polar patterns. 4006's will pick up more room tone, which could or couldn't be a good thing.

I like XSeargentD's recommendation. Never used it, but I'd imagine it would sound good. I have used a 121 with a Audio Technica 4051 on acoustic before that sounded great, and the 4051 is a "cheaper" KM184 I guess.....
Old 2nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graemeasia View Post
The new DPA 4090 has been designed for that very purpose.
The reports say they are quite noisy ... For a decent classical guitar it may not be the best thing ...

I usually use a pair of Schoeps MK4V
Old 2nd September 2006
Lives for gear

I just recorded a session using Pearlman TM1 in cardoid-into neve portico 5043-and used NT 2000 in cardoid with RNC as ambiance room mike in front of guitar in front of RPG diffusor setup for reflection into omni.

The Pearlman chain was simply stunning-big -the lows/low mids blew away Rode NT 2000. The sound is so thick and rich and out-just my Humble opinion.

I do not know if Pearlman is known to be good on acoustic guitar-but I like it.

Good luck

Gavin Jensen
Newcastle/OZ
Old 2nd September 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
The reports say they are quite noisy ... For a decent classical guitar it may not be the best thing ...

I usually use a pair of Schoeps MK4V
I did read such a report - i also have read many, including one in mix that say the opposite. I used one all last weekend and it was outstanding.

I think some of those reports have come about due to the fact that they have been widely compared to the 4006 in terms of noise - I wonder if they actually listened to them. I honestly found them to be very quiet, but obviously not up to the 4006.

Of course your Schoeps MK4V would also be super quiet, though slightly brighter than the 4090. I have used and liked them muchly.
Old 2nd September 2006
I posted an example of the Josephson C42s through a Daking mic pre somewhere on the "Works in Progress" or whatever the examples forum is called. It was on a 19th century guitar, which is quite a bit smaller, but you can tell the clarity and transient response is excellent with those mics. They are quite bright, (esp. through the first version of the Daking--not sure about subsequent versions), but if you like that (or if you're miking from a distance) then these are nice alternatives to the usual Neumann, Schoepps, or DPAs. You can't go wrong with KM84s, of course.
Old 2nd September 2006
Lives for gear

The DPA microphones are deffinately worth looking into, the 4011 is probably one of the best microphones you can get for recording instruments like acoustic guitars. The DPA 4090 is a much more cost effective alternative to the 4011, it still sounds very impressive especially given the fact that its priced at just over £300.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search