The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Clever new bit of Manfrotto goodness Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 6th May 2013
Gear Maniac

Clever new bit of Manfrotto goodness

As someone who loves a new way to mount mic arrays - I immediately saw great possibilities in this new item from Manfrotto:

Manfrotto DADO (MSY0590A) & Dado Kit (MSY0580A) on Vimeo

The threads in the ball are all 3/8", the short black stalks have internal 3/8" threads in each end. Just insert appropriate length 3/8th allthread rod for various brackets for lighter mics, such as Decca Trees, IRT Cross setups, Boojum/JNorman arrays etc. Pop a spigot in one of the holes and mount it on a large Manfrotto lighting stand... all sorts of uses.
Old 6th May 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info!
Old 6th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrsound View Post
As someone who loves a new way to mount mic arrays - I immediately saw great possibilities in this new item from Manfrotto:

Manfrotto DADO (MSY0590A) & Dado Kit (MSY0580A) on Vimeo

The threads in the ball are all 3/8", the short black stalks have internal 3/8" threads in each end. Just insert appropriate length 3/8th allthread rod for various brackets for lighter mics, such as Decca Trees, IRT Cross setups, Boojum/JNorman arrays etc. Pop a spigot in one of the holes and mount it on a large Manfrotto lighting stand... all sorts of uses.
Not that cheap unfortunately.
Old 6th May 2013
Lives for gear
The very word DADO sets my pulses going
On a first outing with my Schoeps CCM 41 /CCM 8 MS rig the camera asst managed to plug the CCM 41 into a Dado Lighting PSU (they use 3p XLR too !)
Result a very fried Schoeps.
Old 6th May 2013
Lives for gear

Ordered the 6 pc. combo - can't wait to put this to the test w the various mics and lights in the studio...

thx for the headsup!
Old 6th May 2013
Gear Maniac
Thanks for posting this.
Just ordered the large dado kit.
Will put some cheap K&M 20005-300.55 extension rods into the sphere for a nice decca tree. Much cheaper than the similar but still more elegant DPA solution.
Old 7th May 2013
Thanks for this - looks interesting! I've just ordered the larger kit as well, will post about my results when it arrives (which might take a while given I'm in New Zealand!).
Old 8th May 2013
Gear Maniac

a quick example of the sort of thing you can do with the Dado kit and a few other bits of manfrotto hardware. The long arms are just 3/8" allthread rod covered in glue-lined heatshrink tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Clever new bit of Manfrotto goodness-dado-example.jpg  
Old 8th May 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
a quick example of the sort of thing you can do with the Dado kit and a few other bits of manfrotto hardware. The long arms are just 3/8" allthread rod covered in glue-lined heatshrink tube.
What are those black things on the rods with the Rycote mount and the CM-3s? I have similar ones on the 154B but with wider diameter as it seems. Cannot find the thingies in your photo on the Manfrotto site.
Old 8th May 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
What are those black things on the rods with the Rycote mount and the CM-3s? I have similar ones on the 154B but with wider diameter as it seems. Cannot find the thingies in your photo on the Manfrotto site.
They are Manfrotto 014-38 adapters. they have a 3/8" threaded stud on one end. The hole in the side/other end of them is 16mm diameter, which matches the diameter of the short black rods that come with the Dado ball. I have been using these for years on 16mm rods of various lengths to make Stereo bars. Most of the larger Manfrotto lighting stands have that same diameter mount in the head - it is their standard accessory diameter, it seems.

16mm Female Adapter 014-38 - Adapters | Manfrotto

cheers,
nick
Old 8th May 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

Great njrsound - many thanks! I guess I can make a flexible IRT cross with a DADO and the stuff I have flying around here. That was a wonderful tip - very appreciated!
Old 10th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
They are Manfrotto 014-38 adapters. they have a 3/8" threaded stud on one end. The hole in the side/other end of them is 16mm diameter, which matches the diameter of the short black rods that come with the Dado ball. I have been using these for years on 16mm rods of various lengths to make Stereo bars. Most of the larger Manfrotto lighting stands have that same diameter mount in the head - it is their standard accessory diameter, it seems.

16mm Female Adapter 014-38 - Adapters | Manfrotto

cheers,
nick
+1

For us North Americans, make sure you get some 3/8 to 5/8 insert adapters to fit onto reg. mic stands/mic clips.

Got my 6 pc. Dado today - will use it tonight (live salsa gig) and hopefully take some pics.

So far, this thing seems to be a very versatile mount for pretty much anything from multi-micing to multi-lighting to odd camera mounting.

Looking fwd to putting it thru the paces.
Old 10th May 2013
Lives for gear
Black...would have been nice.
Old 14th May 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

IRT Cross

As a follow up I want to show you my IRT Cross mounting idea based on the DADO. This DADO tip immediately struck me as a problem solver for many mounting ideas I have. The DADO with the rods (I ordered the 6 rod package) arrived today and I found out that it perfectly allows an IRT Cross mounting with a good leeway for distances of the capsules. See attached a snapshot without cabling etc., just to see how it looks. The distances between the capsules are exactly 20 cm.
All is very sturdy and I'm very happy with the result.

Old 14th May 2013
Gear Addict

nkf: Would you see any problems using this for a double ORTF setup?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S
Old 14th May 2013
Lives for gear

Beautiful

Beautifully made and very versatile, wished I had this prior to my DPA Surround mount etc.
Old 14th May 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_jr View Post
nkf: Would you see any problems using this for a double ORTF setup?
That's not that easy to do like with the IRT cross. I haven't found an elegant way yet but I was mostly interested in IRT anyway.
Old 14th May 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

DADO Double ORTF

I cobbled something together for Double ORTF. Reference was 17 cm/110 angular degree and 25 cm distance over length between capsules on the sides.
It is fiddly to get all this for Double ORTF together and may work fine in rooms. But outside atmo recording with IRT Cross is much less hassle to set up. The mics stay easily in place.
Not a pretty photo but you get the idea.

Old 14th May 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

DADO ab

Just a quick AB setup try. Three rods on each side result in something over 50 cm. The snapshot is bad composed but it's just for info and talk anyway.

Old 14th May 2013
Quote:
You have probably been asked this dozens of times already, so apologies if I'm repeating questions, but can you tell me about your cables? Custom made I presume? What make are they? (And apologies for being off topic as well!)
Old 14th May 2013
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by organism View Post
You have probably been asked this dozens of times already, so apologies if I'm repeating questions, but can you tell me about your cables? Custom made I presume? What make are they? (And apologies for being off topic as well!)
Yes, I got this asked quite often ... how do you know ... ;-)
They're custom made by a company in Berlin:
Kortwich: Stecker / Spezial
But I don't communicate with them anymore because I felt treated bad at some point. Their modifications of Neutrik material is fine though. My cables are with special cable material in AES/EBU specification for my AES42 microphones which they usually don't use.
I now have probably another source for similar cables from a guy who made some special adapters for my MZD8000s and he seems to be very good and careful.
Old 15th May 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
I cobbled something together for Double ORTF. Reference was 17 cm/110 angular degree and 25 cm distance over length between capsules on the sides.
It is fiddly to get all this for Double ORTF together and may work fine in rooms. But outside atmo recording with IRT Cross is much less hassle to set up. The mics stay easily in place.
Not a pretty photo but you get the idea.

Thanks for setting that up. Not as elegant as the IRT cross, but gets the job done. I just might pick this up.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S
Old 15th May 2013
Gear Maniac

A first try at using the Dado kit for my usual Boojum/JNorman type 4-mic array. 2x CM3s at 90 to 100 degrees,25cm spread (or for larger ensembles, 8040s in ORTF) and 2x 8020s at 90 degrees, 67cm spread. Short lengths of 3/8" Allthread extend the arms, covered in heatshrink tube, as stacking 2 Dado rods each side is too short, and 3 each side is too long. If you want the capsules all level vertically, screw another Dado rod on the end of each allthread arm, and mount the omnis hanging down with the same hardware as the CM3s.
Attached Thumbnails
Clever new bit of Manfrotto goodness-bj-dado-small_001.jpg   Clever new bit of Manfrotto goodness-bj-dado-small_002.jpg  
Old 18th June 2014
Gear Head

This looks fantastic! Can you tell me what the connectors are between the microphone clips and the Dado?
Old 18th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Hi Nik,
The black things that slide along the Dado rods are Manfrotto 014-38 adapters. The gold things are just the 3/8" to 5/8" adapters that come with the Rycote Lyre clips. See post #10 above for more info!

cheers,
nick
Old 1st July 2014
Gear Head

Great, I've brought the six piece Dado kit and Manfrotto 014-38 adapter and coming together. Should have an IRT cross photo in the next week. It'd be interesting to use this in IRT cross with an added shotgun mic on the centre hole..
Old 3rd October 2014
Lives for gear
Get Amazing Selens Multifunctional Magic Ball 3/8 Screw Hole Studio Lighting Tripod 3 Stand Adapter at US$35.61

Defence lawyer: "But we change colour...we no violate copyright...you crazy "

Hmmm....
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Maniac

gosh - I've seen some egregious rip-offs in my time, but this looks more like 'extra-run' supply from the same company Manfrotto use for manufacture. I can't imagine they'd sell enough to set up their own manufacturing. Pity they didn't decide to make the ball black-anodised - I might have been tempted, as I've had a couple of adverse comments to the real red ones on recent Cathedral broadcasts!
Old 12th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Anybody know where on the Manfrotto website I can find extension tubes for this kit?

I'm thinking along the lines of this DADO would make a great base to build a Decca Tree support (note I'm using SDC microtech gefells and NOT the heavy Neumann M50 so I think weight shouldn't be a problem). However I can't seem to find any 1m extension or 0.5 meter extension tubes that I'd need to make this kit work.

Anybody found a solution for this already?

Cheers, Davey
Old 12th October 2014
Lives for gear

The extension pole from this article is just perfect for that: Backlite Stand Black 012B - Baby Lightweight | Manfrotto I have a few of them.
Otherwise, this one will work too, but it's a bit longish: Extension For Light Stands, Black 099B - Extensions | Manfrotto And you'll need a spigot to make it work with the Dado ball: Short 16mm Spigot With 1/4'' And 3/8'' Screw 118 - Adapters | Manfrotto
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search