The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Clever new bit of Manfrotto goodness Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 12th October 2014
0VU
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJones View Post
Anybody found a solution for this already?
I've done versions of this using Schoeps STR rods (intended as the upright bits for mounting their RC series extension tubes) which come in different lengths (including 500 and 1000mm but you can get them in any length by order (though I'll admit that I found a local machining company and Nextel finisher to make these up for me at a substantial cost saving over the Schoeps product)) and have female 3/8" threads on one end and male on the other so they all just screw together. They're also grey Nextel finished so look ok on live recordings (especially if you get the Dado ball re-anodised/sprayed in a more subtle colour).

I was wary about screwing the Dado ball onto a stand and expecting it to support everything as that puts the weight of the rod and mic on the bit of metal where the rod has been machined down to the thread where it screws into the ball and I was worried about things snapping as the rods are only aluminium so I've not tried it yet. I usually hang the whole lot from a horizontal stand boom using the same support points as I use when slinging the thing. Using a support point along each of the 'arms' to take the load, so the Dado is just a joiner, it works very well.

So far I've used it without problems with Schoeps CCMs and KC extended capsules and with heavier mics like full sized CMC/capsule setups with balls on or Neumann KMA/KK133/SBK.

For a lighter tree (only for use with CCMs/extended capsules and again for slung use), I've used some pieces of aluminium tube which slide several cm into the black Manfrotto tube sections that come with the ball. By drilling and tapping the sides of one set of tubes to take a couple of small bolts, and drilling appropriate holes through the aluminium tubes you can run a pair of bolts through each 'arm' to hold everything secure and in alignment.

And for a really lightweight one, I have some tapered carbon fibre tubes which fit like the aluminium versions into the ball tubes but taper to a slimmer tip for a slightly lower visual profile and much lower weight.
Old 13th October 2014
Gear Maniac

If you look at my post around the middle of the first page of this thread, you'll see some 300mm extensions I made using 3/8" steel all-thread rod with adhesive heat-shrink tube over it (leaving a bit of bare thread at each end). One end is screwed into the end of one of the standard short Dado rods, to mount to the ball. The other end can either have a normal mic-stand thread adapter on it or another short Dado tube. No photo - but I have a similar set of 3 500mm ones with the intent of making a tree-type setup with CM-3s which I haven't tried on a job yet. I'd say even 1m arms would be fine with SDCs on the end of them. You may want to consider a fourth bar out the back of the "tree" with a bit of weight on it to balance out the load on the ball as seen by whatever stand arrangement it's screwed to if going the full 1m arms.
Old 13th October 2014
Lives for gear
as njr states, the counter weight is a good idea, as you want to get centre of gravity as scriptually straight as possible...
Old 17th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
The extension pole from this article is just perfect for that: Backlite Stand Black 012B - Baby Lightweight | Manfrotto I have a few of them.
Otherwise, this one will work too, but it's a bit longish: Extension For Light Stands, Black 099B - Extensions | Manfrotto And you'll need a spigot to make it work with the Dado ball: Short 16mm Spigot With 1/4'' And 3/8'' Screw 118 - Adapters | Manfrotto

Thanks for the idea Earcatcher - I think I'm going to try and pursue this idea after all!

Anybody know how long each of the rods are that come with spigot?

Davey
Old 7th September 2015
Gear Head

Here's my recent IRT Cross build with the Dado using 4 x DPA 4023 Compact Cardioids.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I'd like to add a perfect and cheap solution to use the Manfrotto Dado with longer extension poles: the Konig & Meyer 18872 extension pole. The length is adjustable. It is meant for something else, but works perfectly for e.g. spaced AB mics. There is 3/8 female at one side and 3/8 male at the other. And the length is adjustable. Link.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
what is the part that joins the dado's bar to the mic holder?
Old 1 week ago
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippoorwill View Post
what do you mean? the black rods? they came with the dado ...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkf View Post
what do you mean? the black rods? they came with the dado ...
He means the 16mm Female Adapter 014-38 - Adapters | Manfrotto
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Hi all,

A solution I used with the Dado for a Decca Tree:

Post pictures of your portable recording equipment

Salutations,

Fred
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmeter View Post
thank you, yes this is what I meant.
It's amazing bhphotovdeo have that part for 50% of the price elsewhere...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
thank you, yes this is what I meant.
It's amazing bhphotovdeo have that part for 50% of the price elsewhere...
Thomann has it even cheaper.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I love the Dado! One can build all sorts of interesting arrays with it. Using 3/8" all thread to extend the included rods allows for a tremendous flexibility. I've also found it useful for flying mics by attaching a 3/8" eye bolt to the top of the ball (see attached pic).
Attached Thumbnails
Clever new bit of Manfrotto goodness-img_2026.jpg   Clever new bit of Manfrotto goodness-img_1758.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by brawee View Post
I love the Dado!.
Yes it promotes a lot of flexibility...a few more examples in this thread: Selfish sticks and DIY Decca Tree The Dado hemisphere is handy too, as it gives a nice flat face to resist twisting if a threaded plate is used beneath it
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thomann has it even cheaper.
thanks, the shipping makes it way more expensive but I can perhaps use that price to knock a dollar off from B&H..

I'm also looking for more of the manfrotto back to back 3/8" spigots that come with the dado. I found a plumbing bit in a hardware store that was slightly similar but they were $5 each and came in a strange pack with other useless stuff. I feel like I'm perhaps missing a key search term.

Last edited by whippoorwill; 1 week ago at 01:14 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
thanks, the shipping makes it way more expensive but I can perhaps use that price to knock a dollar off from B&H..

I'm also looking for more of the manfrotto back to back 3/8" spigots that come with the dado. I found a plumbing bit in a hardware store that was slightly similar but they were $5 each and came in a strange pack with other useless stuff. I feel like I'm perhaps missing a key search term.
These folk might have what you seek....at least you can use the description for your further search terms: Multifunctional DIY Magic Ball 3 8Hole f Studio Lighting Tripod Stand | eBay.

If you go for the Selens version you can probably get a whole ball/sticks/thread-adapters kit for the same price as the spigot adapters alone (I think their shipping is free ?)
Mount DIY Magic Ball with Sticks | Selens Online

Last edited by studer58; 1 week ago at 04:35 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

They are very hard to find, but their official name is: Manfrotto SHORT ADAPTER SPIGOT 3/8''+3/8'' SKU 125.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
They are very hard to find, but their official name is: Manfrotto SHORT ADAPTER SPIGOT 3/8''+3/8'' SKU 125.
Thank you, and studer58.
I feel like there has got to be a hardware store that carries this stuff under a specific name. Building contraptions out of adult LEGO is one of my favourite parts about preparing to record and I often find 3-7 ways of making any array happen. Unfortunately sometimes the only way to achieve something with the leftover bits is unwieldy or unaesthetic.
Old 1 week ago
another bit of monfrotto kit i love is their magic arms.. put stuff where you want them and clamp in place or on tripod
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_9lr2xc9ftk_e
I use them to position my gear around me.
Attached Thumbnails
Clever new bit of Manfrotto goodness-pacer1.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I use them to position my gear around me.
very Bill & Ted
Attached Thumbnails
Clever new bit of Manfrotto goodness-beethoven_billted_blog1.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
very Bill & Ted
LOL - well i actually tend to play all in real time.. "vangelis like"
YouTube
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search