The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

Sennheiser MKH 80 vs. MKH 800 Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd June 2018
RPC
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Any Twin users around? Thinking about a pair of these more and more.
I have a pair each of the "regular" MKH800 and the Twins. If you have four recording channels, the Twins are the ideal mikes when you don't know what you'll be walking into. The main downside is that they're mercilessly revealing - NOT what you want to use on e.g. a typical middle school orchestra!
Old 2nd June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
You can actually do ms with omni mid with a single twin
You sure can! Hadn't thought of that yet. I had a stereo (XY 180º?) recording made with a dual output large diaphragm mic which was a couple yards off of a drum kit on hand, so I ran a MS test with it. Seems to come out about the same as leaving it XY 180º (?) when levels are unchanged, but gives a very different sort of narrowing to mono as compared to simply panning the capsules to the center. Interesting trick. Likely very different results with the MKH Twin.

Last edited by emrr; 3rd June 2018 at 02:33 PM..
Old 11th June 2018
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Any Twin users around? Thinking about a pair of these more and more.
The TWIN is basically the normal 800 without the switches and with an XLR-5 output, so would sound the same but with more flexibility.

I have a pair of the normal 800 and like them, but I got mine before the TWIN came out.

The late Mike Skeet had a couple of the TWINs that he used alongside his 80 and found no real difference.
Old 11th June 2018
Twins are amazing mics, but 800s and Twins do not sound the same. The difference(s) are visible in the frequency response charts.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/studio-...kh-800-twin-ni

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/studio-...ms-mkh-800-p48
Old 13th June 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
do anyone use MKH405 or similar? I bought one some time ago and I really like it, didn't expect so fat sound out of that small mic ;-). Had anyone tried MKH405 together with new pieces? Is it the same technology?
I have a pair of them that I bought in the early '80's. They were my favorite mics until acquiring some mkh406's which I prefer over even the newer mkh40's.

All mkh mics operate on the same basic principle. The design has been refined over the years.
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks for replying on my post from 15 years ago . I never used 406s, but I have some experience with mkh30, 60, 80. 405 is softer and noisier, but still great on many things. That said the noise performance is on par with modern SDCs and even after using many (classic/expensive) mics 405 just only grew on me.

Some people don't like it much because it is really thick with (super)closemicing, where they don't get enough bite (like with km84 etc). Once you back off though...

MKHx0 series mics are less colored and cleaner for sure, but 405 isn't that far behind and there is something more euphonic to it. Well worth the ridiculously low prices it sells for and 48v>tonader barrel adaptor.
Old 13th June 2018
Gear Guru

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post
Er - I have just looked up the frequency response charts of the two mics and they are the same
Old 13th June 2018
Lives for gear
MKH 405/406 are lovely mics but have more intermod than the classic MKH
Old 14th June 2018
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
MKH 405/406 are lovely mics but have more intermod than the classic MKH
And more distortion than the symmetrical capsule series (MKH 20/30/40 series and 8000 series).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search