The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Forte Piano
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmosonic View Post
Ha! Mics as prophylactics...
Reminds me of the old Grim Reaper ad of the 1980's !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSmaWEK_rD4

However, I think Doug is hinting here that ribbons should be the first mic to reach for in the gig carry bag...rather than using condensors, and then suffering post-concert regret for a poor choice ? I aim to get some ribbons soon to try this thesis out myself...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Reminds me of the old Grim Reaper ad of the 1980's
I watch that ad now and the expression in the narration is almost laughable, but when it aired decades ago it scared the heck out of me.

Quote:
I aim to get some ribbons soon to try this thesis out myself...
I recently picked up a pair of Rode NTRs for that very reason. A lot of the stuff I’ve been recording around SE Asia is metallic and percussive. I also grabbed a couple of Dead Wombats. The plan is to find a local seamstress who can cut and sew them into an appropriate shape to use on the NTRs. Most of the traditional music in Bali, at least, is performed outdoors, so I have to windproof them. The NTR’s outer mesh will essentially be the ‘blimp’ (there’s an inner mesh immediately over the ribbons), with the freshly-tailored windjammer pulled tightly over it. That should be enough protection to ensure that none of my recordings will ever get HIV.

I’m putting the ‘pro’ into ‘prophylactic’...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
yes the Grim reaper made AIDS a general public health issue...which was a very mature government response at the time, and in retrospect it justified the shock tactic.

You must be building up your muscles ...you'd hardly call a pair of NTR's "travelling light", but quite something to think they pass muster as a generalist on-the-move backpackable mic.

I guess being both rugged and active-powered means they can handle this type of working spec ? It'll be great to see how they fare across the various environments you operate in.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I guess being both rugged and active-powered means they can handle this type of working spec ? It'll be great to see how they fare across the various environments you operate in.
I am yet to use them in a proper session; I’ve got one ‘in the wings’ but first I need to get the windjammers sorted out. What I’ve heard from them so far sounds great.

They are damned heavy!

I’m interested in the locking pins and so on, seems like they’re well suited for moving around compared to other options.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmosonic View Post
I am yet to use them in a proper session; I’ve got one ‘in the wings’ but first I need to get the windjammers sorted out. What I’ve heard from them so far sounds great.

They are damned heavy!

I’m interested in the locking pins and so on, seems like they’re well suited for moving around compared to other options.
yes, I suspect keeping them upright and out of danger for a long field-service life will be an ongoing study and application of the principle of 'low centre of gravity' at all times

I think the locking pin gets disengaged, but stays in the end of the basket, from memory of reviews...rather than something you pull out before use...and then immediately misplace and lose !
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I think the locking pin gets disengaged, but stays in the end of the basket, from memory of reviews...rather than something you pull out before use...and then immediately misplace and lose !
It’s basically a long threaded screw with an easily turned top. I take them right out because they’re not so tight and I can imagine them rattling. I haven’t tested if they do, but it just seems to me that you don’t want anything like that rattling around in the vicinity of a microphones; seems like the kind of thing that will take off and rattle if hit by just the right frequency and create yet another mysterious buzz in the system path. I could be wrong about that.

My other thoughts about the locking pins is that they’re like the 3.5mm to 6.5mm adaptors for AudioTechnical headphones, which screw one. You don’t want to lose those! You can use any adaptor with them, of course, but the thread-on ones are great because they just change the jack entirely.
Old 2 weeks ago
For what it's worth I like B a lot more than A. B is fine for me as it stands.

Just my humble opinion, and I'm not an expert on Forte Piano sound - I should point out, but musically B hits the spot.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search