The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags: , , ,

Best mobile setup for vocal recording chain?
Old 24th June 2006
Here for the gear

Question Best mobile setup for vocal recording chain?

I have the ULN-2 and a bunch of mics, and am looking for a compressor to be used specifically for recording (female, in case that matters) vocals (post pre and pre uln-2). I lead a somewhat nomadic lifestyle and would prefer it to be portable. Mixing would be done elsewhere so I'm not looking for anything with a particular sound (I expect the vocals will be run through an 1176 later, but I want to tweak the sound as little as possible at this point in the chain because I want to make sure it fits in with the whole mix later...), just something fairly transparent to get good, useable levels into the computer.

Ideally I'd like to get something that I don't have to worry about upgrading in the future. If there's anything that professionals use for this purpose, I'd love to know.

On a side note, are there any pro recordings that use the ULN-2 built-in pres, or would it be absolutely worthless to try to produce a pro recording with vox through these pres?
Old 25th June 2006
Jai guru deva om

The Safe Sound Audio P1 seems to be a great fit for your needs.

War
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superann
would it be absolutely worthless to try to produce a pro recording with vox through these pres?
yes
Old 25th June 2006
MDM
Gear Addict

Bullocks

The ULN-2's preamps are classy !!

Great preamps.
Old 25th June 2006
Here for the gear

Best mobile setup for vocal recording chain?

Is there a mobile solution that has been employed in professional recordings (female vox, pop-rock/dream-pop), for just the vocal chain part of recording? My thinking was that a high-end mic right into the preamps of the ULN-2 recorded to my Powerbook would be sufficient, assuming I could ride the faders well enough to avoid compression in this chain (and add it later, since I wouldn't be mixing with this setup anyway), but I'm not sure if the built-in ULN-2 preamps are considered "pro" enough (assuming the A/D conversion is).
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

I was just having fun.

Yes, the ULN2 preamps are "classy" -- I like that description.

You should try them in combination with your mics to see which ones sound the best on your vocals. Like any preamp, they won't work in every combination.

See my prior posts. I think they are an outstanding value in 2 channel preamps/converters. Much better than I expected when I purchased my unit.

Also, the headphone amp is fine. Makes for a really nice mobile recording and monitoring chain.

I just purchased aa 2882+DSP with the notion of selling my ULN2. However, I'm unable to part with the ULN2 pres and headphone amp, so I'm stacking them

- Jim
Old 25th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
The Safe Sound Audio P1 seems to be a great fit for your needs.

War
BTW, as Warren knows, I've been riding the fence on a P1 for sometime now. It's on my short list.

I think a ULN2/P1 combined with a few choice mics, a laptop, and a good set of headphones would make a fine mobile recording chain -- and it would all fit in a backpack.

Old 29th June 2006
Here for the gear

Thanks for your suggestions! I'm assuming the P1 fits into the budget preamp/compressor category... anything else of that size that might be more high-end?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search