The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Aaton Cantar or Nagra VI? Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have a red Nagra VI for sale for US $5800. In perfect condition with all updates.

Last edited by Plush; 1 week ago at 09:16 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

What will you use instead? Btw, what Schoeps mics were you using that had a rack ou t power supply in one of your pics??
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I’m using a Sonosax SXR4+ and Sonosax AD8+ now—16 channels. I needed more channels. Sonosax has better sound than Nagra.

I use Rens Heijnis 60 volt Schoeps with an outboard Rens Heijnis Custom Built preamp / 60 volt power supply.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
I’m using a Sonosax SXR4+ and Sonosax AD8+ now—16 channels. I needed more channels. Sonosax has better sound than Nagra.

I use Rens Heijnis 60 volt Schoeps with an outboard Rens Heijnis Custom Built preamp / 60 volt power supply.
Hello Plush,

What will sound better after the Sonosax?

Neve
Broadhurst Garden
Crookwood
Nagra
Rens Heijnis
Sonosax
what next......????
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

What is the difference in sound between the Sonosax and the Nagra?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston69 View Post
Hello Plush,

What will sound better after the Sonosax?

Neve
Broadhurst Garden
Crookwood
Nagra
Rens Heijnis
Sonosax
what next......????
The Nagra VI and the Sonosax--two stand alone recorders.

The Sonosax is the BEST these days because it has superior, more accurate mic preamps than the Nagra and it has better converters by far. It can record 16 channels where the Nig-NOg records 6 channels.

The rest of the things listed above are additions to the two recorders.

If, for example, one wants to use Schoeps or B&K 60 volt mics with a Rens preamp and go line in to the Sonosax, you will have an even better sound than the Sonosax alone.

The stand out part of the Sonosax is it's converter. It offers 135 dB of dynamic range.

Who knows what might surpass the current Sonosax. Probably one day it will be a piece of Swiss equipment (from SAX??)
Old 1 week ago
Quote:

The Sonosax is the BEST these days because it has superior, more accurate mic preamps than the Nagra and it has better converters by far. It can record 16 channels where the Nig-NOg records 6 channels.

If, for example, one wants to use Schoeps or B&K 60 volt mics with a Rens preamp and go line in to the Sonosax, you will have an even better sound than the Sonosax alone.

The stand out part of the Sonosax is it's converter. It offers 135 dB of dynamic range.

Who knows what might surpass the current Sonosax. Probably one day it will be a piece of Swiss equipment (from SAX??)
I believe Sonosax was sued for infringing on a copyright of another company for the dual converter design - not saying the claim was legitimate or not - but end result is I think Sonosax decided not to fight it and the US bound units don't have the 135dB capability (anymore - good on you if you were one of the early adopters).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Would love to hear a comparison!!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I bought my machine in Switzerland at the Sax factory. You’re right, the USA version does not have the full dynamic range capability.

To unlock the full dynamic range, a software key is toggled. No change in hardware.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search