The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags:

OM1 - What's it about?
Old 25th January 2019
Here for the gear

Haha are you guys referring to the vibrato?
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Head

Hello,

Here are 2 samples of concert recordings I did last year with just a pair of OM1's in AB and a Tascam DR 680 MKII .
No eq, no compression, just a hint of reverb .

The Farina sample is played by 2 violins, a small portable organ and a cello .
The Kelly sample is a classic stings trio .

I have worked with a lot of more prestigious microphones (Schoeps, Neumann, Sennheiser, ...) but to my ears these OM1'S are really impressive for the price and probably the greatest bargain on the market for acoustic music recording ...

And the quality of the service from NoHype audio is absolutely top notch, thank you JP!
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric D View Post
Hello,

Here are 2 samples of concert recordings I did last year with just a pair of OM1's in AB and a Tascam DR 680 MKII .
No eq, no compression, just a hint of reverb .

The Farina sample is played by 2 violins, a small portable organ and a cello .
The Kelly sample is a classic stings trio .

I have worked with a lot of more prestigious microphones (Schoeps, Neumann, Sennheiser, ...) but to my ears these OM1'S are really impressive for the price and probably the greatest bargain on the market for acoustic music recording ...

And the quality of the service from NoHype audio is absolutely top notch, thank you JP!
Very nice, Eric. The OMs are definitely a nice mic - I've used them quite a bit.

Would you be able to share the distance used for both recordings? Thanks!
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

You're too kind - I'm just the middle man here
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
You're too kind - I'm just the middle man here
^
JP you might just be "the middle man" here but I agree with the poster above, you offer GREAT, professional service and great pricing!!
Old 8th June 2019
Gear Head

Hi shosty, thank you for you comments !

The distances used for these recordings :
- for Farina : the height of the OM1 pair was 2 meters, the microphones were pointed slightly behind the center of the ensemble . I forgot to note the distance between the microphones and the ensemble, but most probably between 2,5 and 3 meters from the front line (first violin and cello) .
- for Kelly : I have lost my notes, but the height was certainly +/- 2meters, and the distance from the front line somewhere between 2,5 and 2,8 meters .
Old 9th June 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Hi shosty, thank you for you comments !

The distances used for these recordings :
- for Farina : the height of the OM1 pair was 2 meters, the microphones were pointed slightly behind the center of the ensemble . I forgot to note the distance between the microphones and the ensemble, but most probably between 2,5 and 3 meters from the front line (first violin and cello) .
- for Kelly : I have lost my notes, but the height was certainly +/- 2meters, and the distance from the front line somewhere between 2,5 and 2,8 meters .
Ok, so similar height and distance. I had assumed it was a closer miking for the Farina but so many factors come into play such as the instruments being played, the room, the musicians themselves. But very nice balance on both.
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

This thread is full of love!
Old 28th July 2019
Gear Head

Hello,

Next week I have to record an organ in a church (see picture) .

I plan to use a pair of OM1's for this recording, because their very natural reproduction and their great low frequency extension seems appealing for this kind of recording .
This will be my first experience with omnis for organ recording .

My question is : is a linear omni pair suited for this kind of distant recording, or do I need a diffused field omni pair ?
For other instrumental or orchestral recordings at such a distance, I know I should need a diffuse field omni pair, but for organ ?

Please note, I can use a pair of Schoeps MK 21's, in absolute terms better microphones than the OM1's, but I think their low frequency attenuation (as for any directional microphones) could be a problem to correctly reproduce the lowest notes of the organ .

Opinions ?
Attached Thumbnails
OM1 - What's it about?-orgue-chant-doiseau.jpg  
Old 28th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Next week I have to record an organ in a church (see picture). I plan to use a pair of OM1's for this recording, because their very natural reproduction and their great low frequency extension seems appealing for this kind of recording. This will be my first experience with omnis for organ recording.

I can use a pair of Schoeps MK 21's, in absolute terms better microphones than the OM1's, but I think their low frequency attenuation (as for any directional microphones) could be a problem to correctly reproduce the lowest notes of the organ.
I think somewhere buried deep in the CM3 thread (although it might be another thread) there's an organ recording someone did using both cardioid and omni mics - I remember commenting on it at the time that the omnis were far and away preferable because of the extended LF response.
Old 30th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hello,

I plan to use a pair of OM1's for this recording, because their very natural reproduction and their great low frequency extension seems appealing for this kind of recording .

My question is : is a linear omni pair suited for this kind of distant recording, or do I need a diffused field omni pair ?
For other instrumental or orchestral recordings at such a distance, I know I should need a diffuse field omni pair, but for organ ?

Please note, I can use a pair of Schoeps MK 21's, in absolute terms better microphones than the OM1's, but I think their low frequency attenuation (as for any directional microphones) could be a problem to correctly reproduce the lowest notes of the organ .

Opinions ?
99% of people who record Pipe Organs use omnis by different makers. I am myself are getting a pair of these soon.
By the way, the organ you are recording was recorded commercially years ago using a Soundfield by priory records
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Hello,

Opinions ?
Yes OM1 are great in your situation. But all depends of the church acoustic.
The organ is not too high. If you can put a high stand not too far in front of the organ, it will be great. But you have to adjust the high and distance to balance the different stops.
Om1 have good bass, but sometimes having real bass in organ recording is not so good, mostly if the basses turn round in the church. All is about placement and sometimes you will have to use your Schoeps...

Here is a recent organ recording with OM1
OM1 - What's it about?
Old 3rd August 2019
Gear Head

Thank you very much mathieujm !
Your organ recording with OM1 is great !

My main concern is that the OM1 is not equalized for use in diffuse field, I wondered if this was a problem for recording organs at some distance in great churches .
Your recording shows it is perfectly possible with great care to the positioning of the OM1's . I will use them fot that recording .

Don't you think the Schoeps MK21's could be a little weak in the lowest bass notes (as would be any directional microphone) ?
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Your organ recording with OM1 is great !

My main concern is that the OM1 is not equalized for use in diffuse field, I wondered if this was a problem for recording organs at some distance in great churches .
Your recording shows it is perfectly possible with great care to the positioning of the OM1's . I will use them fot that recording .

Don't you think the Schoeps MK21's could be a little weak in the lowest bass notes (as would be any directional microphone) ?
A pair of these APE spheres will effectively 'diffuse' your OM-1s: https://www.shapeways.com/product/5K...ionId=62271639
Old 3rd August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
I don't know the MK21 other than what i hear in this forum, so I can't give you areal answer.

But I can give you a compareason with another recording of the same organ with Beyer MC930 cardioid mics
Beyer MC930 for classical distant miking

Yes there are less sub-basses, but it's not the only difference.
Old 5th August 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Hello,

Opinions ?
This organ is really loud and the acoustics may be difficult: the church is long and not very wide, also lots of stone around. Not sure if AB omni is the best solution here. The use of nearfield omnis may benefit the rather sharp tone and stops of this instrument. Beware of the chamades ...
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Head

Thank you all for your advice !

Here are various samples of this live recording, made with a pair of OM1's and a Tascam DR 680 MKII .
No processing at all .

Please be careful with the listening levels, the dynamic contrasts can be important between the samples ...
Attached Files

Extrait Bach.mp3 (3.57 MB, 606 views)

Extrait Mendelssohn 1.mp3 (3.65 MB, 600 views)

Extrait Mendelssohn 2.mp3 (3.66 MB, 580 views)

Extrait Liszt 1.mp3 (4.06 MB, 601 views)

Extrait Liszt 2.mp3 (3.90 MB, 578 views)

Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear
Sounds fine indeed Eric ! You've captured the instrument within the space very well, and there's both heft and delicacy much in evidence. Did you need to experiment much with mic placement before committing to a location, or were these recordings made at varying distances from the organ ?
Old 14th August 2019
Very good. I'm seriously considering these mics.
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Head

Thank you very much for your comment, studer58 !

I could experiment with mic placement during rehearsals, but during the recording the mics had to stay in place because it was a live concert .
I decided from the beginning to use 60 cm spacing between the mics because I couldn't go wrong with this spacing for a great organ at some distance .
The distance between the organ and the microphones was 6,90 m, the height of the microphones was 5,50m .
During the rehearsals, the distance varied between 6 and 8 m, and the height between 4,50 and 5,50 m .
The final position seemed to be the best compromise between the definition and articulation of the organ and the long reverberation (9 sec !) .
During the tests I learned that for optimum results, the mic placement should slightly vary according to each piece of music, but it was not possible to do here .

I will try to do another recording of this organ . Should I experiment with greater mic spacing ?
My stereo bar allows 80 cm maximum spacing . This would give a wider reproduction of the organ, but I wonder if this will also produce a greater left to right separation ? The answer is not so simple as it seems . I think a wider organ could be acceptable, but I don't want excessive stereo effects !
Do you have some recommendations about that ?

Thank you,
Eric
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear

I like what I hear - goes to show the OM1 works with a variety of mic pres, I certainly can't fault the 680 here. I have a 100MKII I use mainly for testing/noodling and the preamps are fine too. Sure you'd get a difference with a higher end unit, maybe THD, S/N ratio, maybe even "sound" but unless you A/B with great care, it's irrelevant. Good job!
Old 14th August 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
I will try to do another recording of this organ . Should I experiment with greater mic spacing ?
My stereo bar allows 80 cm maximum spacing . This would give a wider reproduction of the organ, but I wonder if this will also produce a greater left to right separation ? The answer is not so simple as it seems . I think a wider organ could be acceptable, but I don't want excessive stereo effects !
Do you have some recommendations about that ?

Thank you,
Eric
I'm afraid organ recording is a fairly occasional event for me, although I think it's certainly worth trying a wider spacing, even if only for a few minutes experimentally...try going in increments from 1-3 metres and observe the resultant stereo image.

Remember you are effectively in the diffuse field, and thus not miking the instrument as much as miking the room itself. Moving forward and back will put you in and out of various nodes and pressure build-up zones, and you have these to contend with as much as air blower noise and beaming of high register pipes.

This forum has examined organ recording often over the last 15 years or so, and doing a search yields a lot of relevant material: here's a tiny fraction only....
more advice on pipe organ, noise in particular
mic'ing a pipe organ?
Mic'ing an Organ
Micing a church organ, choir and quartet with 2 mics?!
Where would YOU put the mics in Exeter cathedral?
Organ concerto recording
Recording pipeorgan up on a balcony
Skinner organ recording on NPR
Pipe organ recording, any ideas?
Pipe organ recording in churches/cathedrals (sample mp3 clip inside) (repost)
Review an organ recording?
Organ recording - comments and criticism requested
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
So here is a new organ recording with only a pair of OM1.

Big classical organ, very high. So I tried for the second time to put my mics on the organ tribune.
Attached Thumbnails
OM1 - What's it about?-orgue-dfl.jpg  
Attached Files

Orgue Langlais.mp3 (2.29 MB, 305 views)

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Great !
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Very good playing, typical french (cavaillé-coll style) organ sound. Sounds great to me!

ps. C’est où?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by heva View Post
Very good playing, typical french (cavaillé-coll style) organ sound. Sounds great to me!

ps. C’est où?
La Dalbade, Toulouse. Puget organ
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Sounds great!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathieujm View Post
La Dalbade, Toulouse. Puget organ
Thought so, a fantastic organ.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search