The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

OM1 - What's it about? Condenser Microphones
Old 28th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Wink

No problems - take your time
I actually contacted Thomas and he was kind enough to answer.
I also had the chance to listen to Om1 and Cm3 files from his commercial libraries.
Very good, although no very quit sources.
Some Cm3 recordings really shined - very clear, very good balance and stereo perspective.
I guess he is a good recorderguy too :-)

His answer to my questions was that he culd recommend both mics but he had ‘t recorded very quit stuff, meaning he hadn’t had any self noise issues/registrations
Old 28th August 2018
Lives for gear
This article might send you off in some interesting directions: Adventures In Field Recording |
Old 28th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
This article might send you off in some interesting directions: Adventures In Field Recording |
thank you . He nails it. never go anywhere without duct tape
no - very interesting and informative
Yesterday I dug some of the microphones i have out of my closet and began to ... record (At pro 35 and sm57 - won´t post anything though, I have too much learn first)
and then I ordered a stereo pair of Se8. A bit strange maybe, cause no user review from the field recording community, but my engineer buddy highly recommended them.

I expect to buy a set of either cm3 or om1.
When I take cm3 into consideration, it's based on the recording I received from Thomas and the fact that See Electronics comes with Omni capsules for Se8 at the end of the year.

And the idea that it will be a good idea to have both cardiod and omni.

The good Thomas also recommended having a shotgun microphone, but I will practice myself in stereo recordings first.

BR
Søren

The one thing that puzzles me now is finding af windshield solution for both types of mics.
I have a Røde Blimp mkll B stock on hand but have to test if the Se8´s can fit into it.
They are 23 mm diameter and 120 mm lenght.
Old 28th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Søren Bendixen View Post

The good Thomas also recommended having a shotgun microphone, but I will practice myself in stereo recordings first.

The one thing that puzzles me now is finding af windshield solution for both types of mics.
If you eventually do get a shotgun mic, you'll need a long blimp to accommodate it. Blimps are expensive, especially if you go Rycote (which is worth the extra money in my opinion), so you'll need to think it through carefully.

I have the Sennheiser MKH 8060 shotgun, which has less off-axis distortion than the 416; I got it primarily for recording interviews outdoors, for which it excels, but people also use it for directional field recordings; e.g., picking up an individual bird's song, that sort of thing.

For blimps, the ideal would be one blimp to hold any of your mics in any useful combination; the Rycote Stereo Cyclone would be worth looking into: Stereo Cyclone | Rycote

In retrospect this is what I should have bought myself, since together my two Rycote WS-10 windjammer kits cost more than one Cyclone. But for omni recording I like A-B and that doesn't work with the Cyclone.
Old 28th August 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
For blimps, the ideal would be one blimp to hold any of your mics in any useful combination; the Rycote Stereo Cyclone would be worth looking into: Stereo Cyclone | Rycote

In retrospect this is what I should have bought myself, since together my two Rycote WS-10 windjammer kits cost more than one Cyclone. But for omni recording I like A-B and that doesn't work with the Cyclone.
Recent review of the Cyclone >
Rycote Stereo Cyclone |
Old 28th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Holy moses they are not cheap..but tempting

I’ ll test the røde blimp first
Old 29th August 2018
Gear Maniac

I finally had a chance to do a short field recording today with the OM-1 mics. I live on the outskirts of a big city, so it's not possible to escape constant background noise...I'm not sure how useful this test will be. If you do a low cut at around 400 Hz it will eliminate the low-frequency distant airport, highway, and freight train noise, which is very evident. What's left after the low cut could very well be OM-1 noise but I think it's mostly the sound of the river I was standing by. You can hear a distant police siren, a constant drone of crickets, a vireo, the occasional mallard, some finches, a downy woodpecker, a cicada at one point, and a nuthatch near the end. I had the gain up very high, around 4 o'clock on the MixPre 6 dial, both channels.

This is a 44 megabyte wav file: Dropbox - om1_session.wav
Old 30th August 2018
Gear Head

Very late to the game here, but I have both CM3 and OM1 that I use for field recording on a MixPre-6. I'm quite satisfied with them, although the CM3's haven't been ideal for VERY quiet situations. I'm traveling and have only a few clips with me, although I'll be capturing some more on Friday. I've been able to capture crickets in a field and a busy beehive with them.

The CM3s absolutely need wind suppression, and a lot of it. I never use the outdoors without them - almost any wind becomes apparent. I have occasionally recorded with both pairs. Since I only have one set of Baby Ball Grids (with associated dead cats), I put them on the CM3s and have so far escaped without needing too much for the OM1's. (On the other hand, I've never done this when the the wind is up.)
Old 30th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Thanks for files. A bit difficult to work with, but the lowcut around 400 helped. Still a lot of constant sound in a specific frequency range (river maybe)
So it is a bit difficult to go deep into the sound scapes, but everything around the constant sound actually sounds nice.
You said you used Om1 mics, a pair i guess, but the files is a mono file/the same in both channels?

An update:
I´ve ordered a pair of Cm3 (haven´t heard back from Roger yet, though), still considering the OM1´s.
Bought a Røde Blimp ll to house the small beasts

the sound my head makes: A semi stealth recording with my new CM3s

Ordered a pair of Se8´s - my engineer buddy´s recommadation - and the fact that they make omni capsules for them later this year - and they are supposed to be dead quiet (and very good sounding, very flat with a little HF lift)

SO my big plan is to use the cm3´s (and maybe Om1) for not dead quit recordings, Se8 for dead quit recordings, use both pairs together both as cardiod´s and omni/cardiod.
I still know nothing about the Se8´s, except instrumentsclips from the net (and rave reviews)- taking a chance here, but I´ll keep you informed.
Need windshield solution for he Se8´s though, 23mm diameter, 120mm length.

Thats close to AT4022, but actually I cannot find a mic with the same measures!
I even asked Rycote.
They suggested 5cm Classic-Softies

Thomas Holmemo also suggested Ambient XLR connector - seems smart
XLR Connectors - Ambient

BR
Søren
Old 30th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Søren Bendixen View Post
You said you used Om1 mics, a pair i guess, but the files is a mono file/the same in both channels?
Hm, I have no idea how that happened. I did use a pair of OM1s, channel 1 was panned left and channel 2 panned right, but I must have goofed when I imported the ISOs into my DAW and rendered the file. I probably should have just recorded direct to stereo in Basic mode on the MixPre.

The interesting thing about that low-frequency noise is that the airport is 20 km away but you can clearly hear an airliner idling and then taking off about halfway through the recording. It was very humid yesterday morning and sound carries far on humid days.

Anyway, it looks like you've made a good decision in terms of mics!
Old 30th August 2018
Gear Maniac

Alright, things happens
Se8 arriving..now
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search