The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags:

OM1 - What's it about? Condenser Microphones
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Any SDC will be prone to wind related sensitivity issues.
Is this due to the fact that they tend to be the most sensitive? (Aren't ribbons more sensitive yet?) I'm curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Best solution remains proper wind shielding. Deadcats work great, or so I'm told by my customers.
The Baby Ball Grid does help a lot. Rycote says 30dB, and without measuring it, that seems plausible. The dead cat (Windjammer) incrementally helps considerably more. Rycote claims 50dB for the two combined. I guess it's actually pretty easy to measure this, so I guess I'll do the experiment this evening.

Hmm... guess I'll have to do it artificially with a fan, since now that I want it to be windy, today's predicted to be dead calm! Murphy's Law!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Nothing to do with sensitivity. Remember that condensers are usually not unity gain circuits, they usually have some voltage gain, sometimes a lot. It's hard to judge what's going on at the capsule. Ribbons being pressure gradient motors are more prone to serious problems like stretching and breakage, there's no damping. We're talking Fig-8 ribbons. Cardioids and such are different, most use damping at the back of the motor.

A fan is a good idea for testing!!!!
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Why are SDC's more sensitive?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

than ribbons? Ribbons have extremely low output. Even after a step up transfo with significant ratio we're still in the -60dBV range, a bit more for today's high end ribbons. Unity gain condensers (classic circuits, not today's high end high polarization V models) are naturally somewhere around -40dBV.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Sorry, I meant to ask why SDC's tend to be wind-prone.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Ah, well like any mic with very little protection in front of the transducer, a typical condenser, large or small diaph., will tend to bottom out easily as the diaphragm slams the backplate when wind is present or in fact any significant air movement (some condensers aren't happy in kick drums for instance, no matter what you do with pads and gain, if the capsule bottoms out the signal will be screwed up - it's not just the SPL, it's the air blast hitting the diaphragm). The extended LF response of condensers, made worse with high quality Omni capsules (capable of extending down to just a few Hz) means that a significant signal hits the front end of the head amp at LF/VLF resulting in various types of distortion and more importantly masking the signal you try to capture. The smaller size capsules bottom out more easily (typically no center electrode). Omnis (true Omnis, one diaphragm) on top of having extended LF response (and often/usually no HPF built in) will take sound from all directions responding to high SPL's from wind pretty much regardless of direction and you're also right in an above post, phase shift directional mics with open apertures to the back of the diaphragm may be more problematic than a dual diaphragm capsule.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Interesting - if I understood this correctly, the sound is the diaphragm physically hitting part of its surroundings? No wonder it is so loud and obnoxious. Thanks for helping to educate a newbie.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Not the surroundings, the backplate, which is usually a few microns behind it. Add the head amp saturating at high level VLF and you get the usual "blocking" signal typical of wind hitting a mic. It can be interesting to see a loudspeaker reproduce the resulting signal. Cone movements in that case are an eye opener. Sometimes you can save the day if the mic has a very steep HPF that can be switched in front of the head amp, but usually, they're further down. Modern high end condensers have very high headroom so they may be able to take the sudden spike in VLF and maybe pass the signal through but if the capsule bottoms out there's no solution. Windshields usually offer enough protection and are the only real fix, keeping the sudden high intensity VLF waves out of the mic... just like with ribbon mics, it's not really the SPL or the frequency, it's the air movement that causes problems.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear
Attached Thumbnails
OM1 - What's it about?-om-1-sphere-1.jpg   OM1 - What's it about?-om-1-sphere-2.jpg  
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

How about some curves - or did they not bother? I'm also worried that it's already version 6... looks like there's a lot of trial and error going on. Also a proper sphere for this application should be fully reflective so I have doubts about the material. Finally, the fact that the OM1 lip is still present and that there's a gap around the tip of the mic is not ideal. Could be interesting though but as Roger pointed out... the mic was never designed for it so let's see some freq. curves and polar plots.

Oh, is this correct or a typo?

"New and improved design holds microphones firmly but will get stuck!"
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
New Shapeways sphere for OM-1
I haven't received my OM-1's yet, so maybe this is a grossly misinformed question... How does this work? If that's the end of the OM-1, how does the sphere do anything for wind suppression? I did not think that there was any other opening in the OM-1, so any wind suppression seems like it would have to cover the end of the mic, and that apparently is not what's happening here? To me this seems like the necklace on the singer...
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

It's not a windshield. It's a reflector generating standing waves increasing HF response.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Well, that would explain why I can't fathom how it suppresses wind! Next n00b question: why does one want to increase HF response? These mics seem to be specifically designed to be ruler-flat throughout the range. I guess increased - boosted - HF response is desired for some applications, perhaps shimmery cymbals or something? (As a historian, this seems a bit alien to me.)
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Yes, trying to boost the top end on an OM1 is odd to me too but I can see why some might be interested in trying an accessory that does it acoustically, rather than having to EQ the signal in Post. Using a HF boosting accessory on the mic you also have the advantage of a richer treble before the head amp so you won't be boosting the noise floor up the way you would EQ'ing later on. Truth is, if you need a Diffuse Field response, the OM1 isn't your mic. For long distance work you're better off with a DF mic, not a linear mic. You'll need a quieter mic, too. IMHO - let's just that it's a bit of a hack and the OM1 was never designed with such add-ons in mind. But if someone can get good results with the things, I'd love to hear some samples.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search