The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

The best live concert moment Ribbon Microphones
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Maniac

LAUNDRY - In a small club called "The Top Hat" in Missoula MT. Watching Tim "Herb" Alexander from 5 feet away sing and play drums at the same time was truly mind altering.
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornvalley
Band of Gypsys 69-70 New Years Eve at the Fillmore East.
sitting 6th row and feeling the bass waves lifting me up off the seat.
Being older has had it's moments I guess
I am so jealous.
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Nut

I think my fondest concert memory was seeing Rory Gallager play at Boston Music Hall in 1976. He opened for Dave Mason and IMHO stole the show right out from under him. Big commendation to Dave Mason for having the balls to let that guy open for him, Gallager was awesome live.
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

So many, really. My favorites...
Pat Metheny--this past year at the Lisner Auditorium--performed the whole composition (The Way Up) at one time--that part of the show lasted about 75 minutes and had Pat Metheny and other band members switching from instrument to instrument. Guitars were set up on holders for Metheny to quickly switch. Unbelievable.
The Feelies at the Chestnut Caberet in Philly around '89?
So many Grateful Dead shows--Casey Jones at RFK in '92. Buckeyed Lake. JFK--the last show in JFK.
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Bjork at the Hollywood Bowl.
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hmmm. Hard to pick. Seeing Zeppelin in Honolulu in the very early 70s. They flew in late and came straight from the airport. Then they had to get the crowd to quiet down so they could play us this new song that wasn't out yet -- Plant said it would sound like heaven. Yup.heh
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

Mid/late 60's in Kansas City, hearing the Outsiders, or was it the Outcasts (local band), playing outside at Brookridge Country Club on the 4th of July. They played "Time Won't Let Me" and covered other hits of the time, and I suddenly knew what I wanted to do with my life. Forty years later, here's a big shoutout to those guys wherever they are.

Now whatever happened to my Vox Continental?

-R
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Nut
King Crimson on the opening night of their tour a few years ago.

They were so eager to go on - Belew was looking out on stage every few minutes - they went on five minutes early. Played an absolute killer set - did the extras. But Belew couldn't get enough so we got another 45 minutes of him on acoustic guitar. Three of a Perfect Pair (on solo accoustic ) and a version of Hereos that outshone Bowie comes to mind.
Old 29th May 2006
Gear Nut

The Tibetan Freedom concert @ RFK Stadium in Washington DC. The Red Hot Chilli Peppers were supposed to play on day 1, but a girl was struk by lightning so they cancelled...so i thought. They were real champs and they stayed around to play the second night. I was moshing front row to be suprised to see the whole band come out unannounced. They totally rocked the show (not that pearl jam didn't).
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinderArts
Peter Gabriel Secuirity tour at the Warner Theater in DC. It was an absolutely magic show. Six encores. I believe David Tickle was mixing.
I was at the Chicago stop of that tour, it's one of my favorite concert memories too.
Also Astor Piazzola in around 93, one of the few times purely instrumental music had me in tears.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosticks
A carpet of lasers across the sky in a field near Vienna (High Hopes) - Pink Floyd division bell tour '95

Right On!

Mine was Pink Floyd at the Vet in Philly '94. 121 Rows back, right next to the FOH setup. During "intermission" the guys inside the 3 story FOH setup pulled out some instruments & started playing "Tequlia" the whole crowd around FOH was dancing & singing. Awesome...

And so was the Floyd....
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Sometime in '93 at the Bayou in Wash. DC, I saw an up and coming 80's glam type metal band that will remain nameless. The Lead singer walks out in a leather jacket and a bad hair transplant and proceeds to put his hands over his head shaking his fists, causing the leather jacket to rise above his mid section, exposing his man-girdle, then puts his hands down, but the jacket stayed up, Then I look over at the guitarist in his pink spandex pants with a huge pee-stain on them. OK, mabe not what you had in mind, but I was THOUROUGHLY entertained. heh
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Head

Well for me perhaps my #1 was the Moody Blues on tour and I drove from Carbondale Illinois (Southern IL. University) in the Spring of 1973 to St. Louis to the Area there where they were playing. We were in the nosebleed seats but it didn't matter. They came on stage in the dark and out of nowhere started into "Ride My Seesaw" and the crowd went wild. The sound was amazing as well. Sends chills down my back just to remember it.

The #2 time was a real treat and surprise when living in Salt Lake City in 1979 the Byrds did a reunion tour with all the original members (except David Crosby) and McGuinn was unreal as well as the rest of the originals. The sound was in a acoustically designed hall so it was remarkable sonically as well. Ahhh the memories.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

June 1972--from the 6th row--The Rolling Stones at the Chicago Amphitheatre.
This tour was in support of "Exile on Main Street."
Mick Taylor was out of this world INCREDIBLE!

Incredible then to hear the amp sound directly from off the stage--still memorable now 34 years later. All Stones were in their prime--except Keith did junk licks.

When Bill Wyman stopped playing with the Stones, I stopped attending the concerts.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

A few that come to mind....

1987 at Theatre Gallery in Dallas.....Redd Kross. Simply amazing back then. I believe they opened the show with Any Way You Want It by Journey. Totally rocked their arses off for the crowd. They came back through town a few months later....that again was a great show.

Probably the same year, or maybe 88....The Replacements at the Arcadia Theater in Dallas. Vintage 'mats......

Sometime around there too, I caught the Chili Peppers with Slim on guitar. That was a fun show too. Also, while on the Peppers. I saw what might be John's first gig with them. It was at Clearview in Dallas. He was playing a fur covered Ibanez. Even though he trys to make out like he's such a vintage Fender guy and all. I don't think ANY teenager back in the 80s had an appreciation of those kinds of instruments. I know they said from the stage that he'd been with them for less than two weeks.

Man, I saw so many good shows back then at small clubs.....Lime Spiders, Lords of the New Church, Ramones, Bad Brains, Steel Pulse, etc.....if the show came through Dallas from 85-89...I was there.

m
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

So many - but I'll keep it to two.

1. Van Halen on New Year's Eve for a $4 cover charge in a club in Peoria IL

2. Keith Emerson falling backward 8 feet into a pit while keyboards were changing - then getting back up in 15 minutes and playing like the madman he is for another 2 solid hours.

Bryan
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive
Well for me perhaps my #1 was the Moody Blues on tour and I drove from Carbondale Illinois (Southern IL. University) in the Spring of 1973 to St. Louis to the Area there where they were playing..
Reminds me of another of mine, Talking Heads at SIU October of 78 (or was it 79?) Hitched down from Chicago, spent a few days & a crazy halloween, & hitched back ater a breakfast of hash brownies.....

Oh yeah, and the Heads were great.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Maniac

without question-AC/DC
@ s.a convention center arena- late '79
just a few months before bon passed,
highway to hell?.....more like a prison riot.
Old 31st May 2006
Lives for gear

Ray Charles, the Blue Note NYC, 1991.
Only thing miked: vocals. Amps on Rhodes, Gtr and Bass.
PRICELESS!
Old 31st May 2006
I've been lucky enough to have experienced a few moments of musical ecstasy...

The first was watching Louis Armstrong in a dixieland band setting in 1965 (on the 'paddle-wheeler' riverboat at CA Disneyland, of all things)... I'm not sure how long I watched... three times around the island, I remember that... I'm thinkin' that was over an hour. Pretty freakin' hot.

Only about five years later I got to see Jimi Hendrix twice in two days -- one a savage, shortened set in front of a drunk and unruly crowd of well over a 100,000 people (Newport '69 -- "You want hits?" Jimi spat at the crowd after they didn't pay attention to a slow reading of "Ballad of a Thin Man," "I'll give you some f---ing hits," and proceeded to slam through 3 or 4 of his teenybopper faves. It was a furious, short set. That was Friday night. On Sunday, he came back to "make peace" with the crowd and played a 3 hour jam. That was pretty cool, too. And I was even halfway sober.

9 or so years later, I decided to check out this young songwriter guy they'd been plugging all week on what passed for LA's hippest commercial station at the time, I thought his retro-rock songs were pretty sharp, and there was this one whiteboy reggae thing I really liked. Glad I went, 'cause Elvis Costello was really good that night at the Whisky. I felt like I was seeing someone who would definitely be somebody.

There are a handful of other shining moments, too: watching Joe Pass from arms length; Talking Heads in the 500 seat Golden Bear; Captain Beefheart in a bunch of places; Rory Gallagher playing some of the most amazing blues rock ever; Television at the Whisky; an eery, amazing set from Magazine one night in '78; Astor Piazzola; all the members of Pentangle (but at different McCabe's shows, sigh); it's just too hard to pick favorites...
Old 31st May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzleboy
Sometime in '93 at the Bayou in Wash. DC, I saw an up and coming 80's glam type metal band that will remain nameless. The Lead singer walks out in a leather jacket and a bad hair transplant and proceeds to put his hands over his head shaking his fists, causing the leather jacket to rise above his mid section, exposing his man-girdle, then puts his hands down, but the jacket stayed up, Then I look over at the guitarist in his pink spandex pants with a huge pee-stain on them. OK, mabe not what you had in mind, but I was THOUROUGHLY entertained. heh
OK... no way I can beat that.

heh
Old 31st July 2006
Gear Head

green day in 94 months after dookie came out. i stagedove while the riverdales were playing and got **** from ben weasel.
social distortion at the anaheim HOB, kinda surreal place for a rnr show, the contrast felt kinda acid..
qotsa in bologna with new line up..hells yeah!!
dandy warhols in prague, very high on drugs and making out with an irish hottie right under the very pregnant keyboard player, who kept smiling at us.
weezer for free at a communist party summer fair (festa dell'unita') in 95
green day again last year, singing along the whole show and knowing just what they were about to do cuz ive seen em so many times..and noticing the 10000 me's from 94, and i'm 12 years older
santana, mystical experience..

i wish i couldve seen nirvana and johnny cash
Old 31st July 2006
Lives for gear

Seems like this thread or one like it comes up from time to time .. like this one

As I said in that thread, Charlie Musselwhite improvising on harmonica in a small room was one of the most unexpectedly amazing musical moments I've witnessed.

-dave
Old 31st July 2006
DRC
Lives for gear

Gillian Welch and David Rawlings @ The Vic Theater in Chicago. Landmark show for me.
Old 31st July 2006
Lives for gear

Recording the "The New (bitches) Brew Live" at BB Kings! Victor Bailey, Robyn Ford, Stanley Clark, and Lenny White. Almost magic!
Old 1st August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Okay...that's a good one.
Old 1st August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Okay...that's a good one.
Old 1st August 2006
Lives for gear

Jaco Pastorious / Kenwood Denard / Hiram Bullock .... small club back east ... when Hiram sang purple haze ... it was a classis moment .. the Jaco threw his bass at Kenwood and he fell over his drumkit trying to catch the thing ...

just crazy balls to the wall show .. cannot remember the year ...
Old 1st August 2006
Lives for gear

I don't know, but I'm going to see Steely Dan on Monday in Atlanta and I'm super-stoked.
Old 1st August 2006
Lives for gear

A traditional Irish band (I don't remember their name) playing in a Dublin, Ireland Pub called the Temple Bar. This was late June 2002. They had all the traditional instruments, but the thing that sticks out most was that near the end of their set, the lead singer (also the accordian player) did an acapella version of a song called "The Green Fields of France" . His voice was so rich and powerful and full emotion that everyone there was held absolutely spellbound. It sounded amazing in that room and to this day is still one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. I still get chills thinking about it.

Cheers,
-MIke

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search