The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Earthworks ORTF -- in action! Condenser Microphones
Old 6th June 2006
All the time!

OK... some of the time? Some of the people, some of the time?

It's true this particular ORTF doesn't render the hyper-realstic exaggerated stereo of an ORTF with cardioids. To get that kinda thing, I face the Earthworks 180 degrees apart.

I know the perfect case for the situation you bring up--miking a songbird in a cage. There.

Of course, the stereo effect would only really shine with a chorus of songbirds.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkautzsch
It just came to my mind that when set up close to the source there actually are level differences even between closely spaced omnis. In this case, such a setup becomes "equivalent" like ORTF; in theory a source 17 cm to the right of a 17 cm spaced omni setup should be 6dB lower at the left mic than at the right (resulting in another like 30%, together with .5 ms this would give about 60%). But when do we have a setup that close to a source.
I am finding it difficult to imagine any useful setup with a spaced omni stereo pr so close to any sources such that distance attenuation becomes significant. A spaced pair is usually placed at the critical distance or even further out, ie where the near field ends and the reverb field starts, and in most halls this is metres from the nearest sources.

Omnis have nothing to do with ORTF, no matter what scenarios one can postulate, and none of them end up being plausible.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

My wife, a Polish opera star, was, until she got her green card here in the US, known to the US Government as a "parolled alien." I guess that's an alien that walks around!
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

David, we have the same opinion.
My thoughts are, this time, completely theoretical, as in practice one indeed isn't even somewhat like that close to the source. But the situation is not as theoretical as it could appear: For PA reinforcement, I've seen (and not understood, but that can be because I really don't know much about PA work, and I'd really appreciate if someone who has done such setups could explain it to me) such setups really close in front of an acoustic guitar. Must have been something less than 20 cm.
Old 7th June 2006
I just came across this which has some relevance to the discussion:

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/Images/DM02994.pdf
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Don't you just love omni propaganda. The opening headline ... the use of an omnidirectional mic does imply a certain maturity and experience about the user.

Bit of a joke, really. I think the opposite, it implies a certain laziness and lack of initiative and understanding from the user. Throwing up a couple of omnis of no fixed or understood spacing is the most common and boring method of recording anything, IMHO. Most of the time, in most rooms it is inferior to other methods.

Ducking for cover.

PS. There are many misleading statements in this article. The classic comment on head width of 17cm as being a useful spacing is nonsense. Mics signals end up as loudspeaker signals, do we put them at 17cm apart to listen?
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

You nailed it, David
Cannot be repeated too often: ORTF's 17 cm are not ears' 17 cm.
Old 8th June 2006
What is a parade without a little rain... and someone going (not to mention tutt tutt tutt ) all the way home...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search