The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , ,

Portable Recorder - Location Recording Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 17th May 2006
Here for the gear

Talking Portable Recorder - Location Recording

Hey,

I was hoping someone could suggest something suitable for myself:

I'm wanting to get a portable recorder to record atmos etc. for film. I have in mind a pair of DPA4006 mics so I would like to have the best preamps possible in this situation, either built in, or seperately. It definitely has to run off batteries. I've not really got a ceiling to my budget but I wouldn't want to waste money that could be used towards something else.

Any suggestions?
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Guru

Sounds like you want an al in one job, not a computer solution? If so and you had a Powerbook (Mac laptop) I'd suggest Metric Halos ULN-2. Very good pres and great convertors. I'd say it's tailor made for what you're describing.
Old 17th May 2006
Here for the gear

Well all in one is good, I use a Powerbook at the moment (borrowed off a friend) and it's a little bit clumsy as you have to find somewhere to set it down operate it etc, then you need to buy the software for it....portable recorders just seem useful because you can wear them and operate them easily. I'll look into those convertors though, thanks
Old 17th May 2006
Super Moderator

What about the Sound Designs 722 or 744 recorders? Have you looked into them yet?
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Assuming you're looking at doing just stereo files, I think the 722 is the logical choice, especially since it's an all in one solution.

Dirk
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

The Nagra V runs 11 hours on a battery charge while running 48V stereo mics. If you can afford it, its the best. The ergonomics of this machine alone are worth the price (far superior to the SD recorders), the preamps are superb. I love mine, the best audio gear purchase of my life.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Echo, echo echo----Nig Nog #5
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Guru

I totally understand. I have no experience with all in ones, or not in a while to know what is what these days. BUT the Metric Halo fits right underneath the PB - a perfect fit. You can throw it in a knapsack. Pretty portable. Also it's bus powerable so you don't need to be plugged in to AC.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

Nagra V is the best.
Not the Nagra Ares though, which I think is not really worth the name "Nagra" (I think the pres in my MOTU 896 are way better than in the Ares BB+).
One often also sees Aaton Cantar which seems to be quite nice as well.
Or the 722.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

I like the my Sound Devices 722. Quite decent mic preamps and converters. Quite portable and well though out. I have no problem recommending it. A bit steep in price though.

With DPA-s today I think the 4006TL (the new version) are worth looking into. The old 4006 did sound good, it is rumored that the TransformerLess is even better. (I do have access to a pair of 4003 and another pair of 4007 and those mics are simply awesome).

Gunnar
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

The SD 722 is fantastic. Sounds great as an all in one.

THe Deva and Cantar are superb! but also with a superb pricetag.(more than the nagra?)

Ive used the Deva and SD 722, and really, they are both great pieces. If you need more than two tracks, go for the 744t, if yiou need more than 4, and you have the dough, go for the Deva or Cantar. (Ive also heard many good things about the new sonosax 8 channel recorder)
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Anyone here happen to know if you can combine the digital inputs of the Sound Devices 744 with its analogue inputs simultaneously?

Thanks.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosrite
Anyone here happen to know if you can combine the digital inputs of the Sound Devices 744 with its analogue inputs simultaneously?

Thanks.

you cannot.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Gunnar and T.Ray

How would you rate the preamps and the converters on the Sound Devices boxes??

I've got one on order from full compass... and am wondering how it'll fair pulling double duty as a decent pair of converters in the studio??

thanks

zack
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

They are workable, but werent clean enough for me. Definitely some high/mid coloration. COnverters I liked better than preamps.

I ended up selling my 7xx and getting mytek/DAV/Pendulum preamps into a lynx interface.

in a low profile situation.., yes, they will be more than adequate.. I am a very picky listener though. Which is a PITA.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
you cannot.
You dont happen to know a similar device that can do this do you? I need to have 4 tracks (2 digital and 2 analogue)
Cheers
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
You dont happen to know a similar device that can do this do you? I need to have 4 tracks (2 digital and 2 analogue)
Cheers

Yes, the Edirol R-4 and R-4 pro does this, I belive...

Also, I know some professionals who do VERY nice mods on these units, making the units sound many more thousands better than they do stock.
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Hi Teddy,

Are you sure about this? I looked into getting the R4 as it seemed to tick all the right boxes but when I phoned Edirol UK the fella I spoke to seemed to think there were 2 problems. The first was that it wont clock to an external device so it essentially "resamples" the incoming digital signal. The second reason I never got as we were cut off!

Is the R4 pro any different?

I would love for these to work as they are very reasonably priced as well, and this modding you refer to is also very interesting
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

The R-4 Pro shares the R-4's rugged construction, robust feature set and great sound quality, but the R-4 Pro also includes AES/EBU support, SMPTE time code and superb electronics. Record up to four channels at 24-bit 96KHz and monitor each channel discretely. The durable DC input jack allows for industry-standard battery packs to extend your record time. Its 80GB hard drive will store up to 125 hours of high quality audio. You can plug in any standard USB drive and enjoy fast back-ups of your projects. Like the R-4, the R-4 Pro has on-board effects and WAV editing features. Geared for pro videographers and recordists, the R-4 Pro delivers professional sound and features in a package that everyone can afford.

Why are 4-channels of audio better than 2-channels?
• Capture more ambient sound at any shoot for an overall more convincing soundscape.
• Place mics on each participant in conferences, panels, reporters, etc.
• Redundancy or backup in case of camera mic noise or drop out.
• Simplify wedding shoots with a mic on the bride, groom, officiator and a mic for ambient sound.
• Video editing environments now support multi-channel audio as standard.

Quote:
Hi Teddy,

Are you sure about this? I looked into getting the R4 as it seemed to tick all the right boxes but when I phoned Edirol UK the fella I spoke to seemed to think there were 2 problems. The first was that it wont clock to an external device so it essentially "resamples" the incoming digital signal. The second reason I never got as we were cut off!

Is the R4 pro any different?

I would love for these to work as they are very reasonably priced as well, and this modding you refer to is also very interesting
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Ah yes I saw this on their website too. Unless Im missing something it doesnt say anything about being able to record a digital and analogue signal at the same time though.
Old 27th May 2006
Lou Judson
Quote:
Ah yes I saw this on their website too. Unless Im missing something it doesnt say anything about being able to record a digital and analogue signal at the same time though.
You really want the Sound Devices 744T. Four channels, digital or analog and ony of them. It's the best thing under $5,000 you will find. My opinion, I love mine!

<L>
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
You really want the Sound Devices 744T. Four channels, digital or analog and ony of them. It's the best thing under $5,000 you will find. My opinion, I love mine!
Lou,

To clarify, are you saying that with the 744 you can record both digital AND analogue at the same time?
Old 27th May 2006
Lou Judson
Quote:
Lou,

To clarify, are you saying that with the 744 you can record both digital AND analogue at the same time?
Well, yes, but your terminology is incorrect. The 744T has four record channels - they are all digital. It also has either an analog or digital input for each of the four channels. Two inputs have mic, line, or AES on XLR plugs, the other two have line analog and digital on a BNC connector. Very compact and efficient!

Check this out:

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/744t.htm

and by the way, I use it as a clock source and front end for Protools with 002R - with a Presonus Digimax pre that has word clock in. Makes every thing sound a lot better!

<L>
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

interesting...

Rufus, I personally think the Edirol is a fine option for those that cannot afford other units. some of the features are mickey mouse...but someone had to ask for them, right? where do they get these ideas?

I am still laughing at this new sony recorder. POS.
Old 10th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Whats the word on the m-audio microtrack?

I'm not exactly thrilled with the 30v phantom power, and the built in lituim batteries.

But I'd probably hook up a second USB backup battery on down the road.
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

check out reviews at www.taperssection.com

REviews are lukewarm, and most recently, tales of an exploding microtracker have been making headlines. Theres a search bar on ts.com, type in Microtracker and youll see MANY MANY reviews..

Id either go with the R-1 or R-09 from edirol if it were me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshay
Whats the word on the m-audio microtrack?

I'm not exactly thrilled with the 30v phantom power, and the built in lituim batteries.

But I'd probably hook up a second USB backup battery on down the road.
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton
Gunnar and T.Ray

How would you rate the preamps and the converters on the Sound Devices boxes??

I've got one on order from full compass... and am wondering how it'll fair pulling double duty as a decent pair of converters in the studio??

thanks

zack
I find both pre-amps and converters quite decent. Very useable for a lot of things, including classical on-location recording. Not quite up with the Millenia HV3D + Lavry Blue I tend to use for critical work, but not really that far off either. Generally preamps + converters at a certain level are good enough for most usage, you only need to learn how to use them. There is in my ears more of a difference in microphones.

One thing to notice is that the headphone amp is slightly noisy, it can deliver quite a punch and I guess that goes hand in hand. So if you want to evaluate the 7xx units, do listen to the recorded stuff on a good listening system, do not rely solely on the built-in amp. In on-location work it does not disturb at all, but I remember beeing slightly dissatisfied with some recordings when doing very critical listening through the built-in headphone amp. That is until I moved the files to my normal setup.

Gunnar
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

any word on the new fostex FR2 recorder ... like a PD4 but no tape ...

anyone use this thing ... i have a 16mm shoot on the 22nd i would like to try this out on ..

of course i have to call telecine and see if they have or can rent one of these for the transfer ...

john
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

That thing isnt new...it has been out for a while. That being said, I know a couple of people that use them and like them. www.oade.com does a number of analog stage mods to it...sounds loads better than stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192
any word on the new fostex FR2 recorder ... like a PD4 but no tape ...

anyone use this thing ... i have a 16mm shoot on the 22nd i would like to try this out on ..

of course i have to call telecine and see if they have or can rent one of these for the transfer ...

john
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192
any word on the new fostex FR2 recorder ... like a PD4 but no tape ... john
Ugly damn thing. Looks like it was designed by Godzilla. I am sure its a bugger to use.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search