The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: ,

TO ALL Oud Players
Old 14th May 2006
Talking TO ALL Oud Players

HI,
I have a question for the oud. Is it hard to play, like in regards to other instruments like a guitar? I know this is a bit vague, but I am completely enthralled by this man Anouar Brahem. Possibly the most beautiful sounds i have ever heard from an instrument are coming from this man's oud.
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

The main thing to keep in mind with the oud is that there are no frets. I play guitar, bass, and can even manage upright bass but I've never been able to get a decent sound out of an oud. I find it difficult to hold as well. I would think a violin or other string player might find it easier. I love the sound of it and have a ton of oud recordings so it's a bit frustrating not to be able to even get anything out of it. The tuning pegs are also a pain in the neck. Saz and tanbur I have no problem with.

If you're interested in one this place http://www.cankayamuzikevi.com/ makes wonderful instruments. They have an oud with guitar tuners and frets.
Old 15th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Boll
The main thing to keep in mind with the oud is that there are no frets. I play guitar, bass, and can even manage upright bass but I've never been able to get a decent sound out of an oud. I find it difficult to hold as well. I would think a violin or other string player might find it easier. I love the sound of it and have a ton of oud recordings so it's a bit frustrating not to be able to even get anything out of it. The tuning pegs are also a pain in the neck. Saz and tanbur I have no problem with.

If you're interested in one this place http://www.cankayamuzikevi.com/ makes wonderful instruments. They have an oud with guitar tuners and frets.
i love the fact of being able to play a vibrato on these.
thanks
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

all of Anouar Brahem's CD' are awesome
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

I play oud. If you have a good ear and know music to a reasonable degree already, it is not too hard to play with moderate success. You can stay in certain keys that are oud friendly and also most of your notes can be found in first position, without needing to move your entire hand up the neck very often.

Holding it at first is slippery because of the bowl, but you'll find your way. The strumming arm rests on top, putting weight onto the body, holding the instrument in place on a slightly elevated (strumming side) leg, either by crossing the legs or a foot stool.

Of course playing any instrument well no matter what it is is more difficult. But if you love the sound, go for it.

Before I had an oud I bought a cheap garage sale guitar and ripped the frets out. Nylon string will work better.

The link above to cankaya music is a good general recommendation. I have been to their stores in Turkey. Don't just buy any old one off the net. The main issues when looking at ouds (or ud in turkish) are how well the tuning pegs are seated (ie, do they slip) and a nice low action. If both of these are substandard it will be no fun. Not every cankaya ud had low action though.

There are two general styles, Turkish and Arabic. You'll find lots of info through google. There is an active oud forum here: http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/index.php

A good site for learning about all the flavorful scales is www.maqamworld.com

Goodluck!
Eric

---
www.ericzang.com
www.cosmosmusic.net
Old 23rd May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericzang
I play oud. If you have a good ear and know music to a reasonable degree already, it is not too hard to play with moderate success. You can stay in certain keys that are oud friendly and also most of your notes can be found in first position, without needing to move your entire hand up the neck very often.

Holding it at first is slippery because of the bowl, but you'll find your way. The strumming arm rests on top, putting weight onto the body, holding the instrument in place on a slightly elevated (strumming side) leg, either by crossing the legs or a foot stool.

Of course playing any instrument well no matter what it is is more difficult. But if you love the sound, go for it.

Before I had an oud I bought a cheap garage sale guitar and ripped the frets out. Nylon string will work better.

The link above to cankaya music is a good general recommendation. I have been to their stores in Turkey. Don't just buy any old one off the net. The main issues when looking at ouds (or ud in turkish) are how well the tuning pegs are seated (ie, do they slip) and a nice low action. If both of these are substandard it will be no fun. Not every cankaya ud had low action though.

There are two general styles, Turkish and Arabic. You'll find lots of info through google. There is an active oud forum here: http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/index.php

A good site for learning about all the flavorful scales is www.maqamworld.com

Goodluck!
Eric

---
www.ericzang.com
www.cosmosmusic.net
thanks for encouragement. Your ripping it up on that Cajon!
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Maniac

we track alot of oud ...i play guitar ...same concept as playing bass and fretless bass..paractice prcatice..
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Maniac

almost forgot..besides getting used to the body its getting used to the "Reesh" or pick..very long and like a flat pen..also u cant rest ur elbow while playing..so its ALL in the rist
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

I have an Oud, but when I tried to string it up I broke several strings. They cost $15 so I've been afraid to try with a different pair, hoping a more experienced Oud player would come along to help me string it. In the last 5 years I haven't run into anyone. The strings that are on it seem to stay in tune. But the pegs are very difficult to move.

Any suggestions on string/tuning up these things without breaking the strings?

What is the proper tuning? I broke a peg so the lowest string is not duplicated. 11 strings total which I think is traditional anyway isn't it?
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Would like to answer your question now, but at the moment I don't have time. Definetely repost your question over at the below forum. Lots of people to help out there.

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/index.php
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

have someone who knows about ouds help you get a good one with tuners that hold properly and a decent sound.
Old 10th June 2006
If you are into the Oud and other Middle eastern instruments, check out A.J Racy. He is at UCLA in the Ethno-Musicology dept. He is considered one of the greates 'ethnic' instrument players in the world and is known for playing the largest number of 'ethnic' instruments.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174

Thats the link I found the fastest but he has quite a lot of stuff out. He also has a new album 'Elixer' coming out. I'm not sure when it will be released but it is one of my favorite albums in any genre. It is absolutly amazing! I will post info in this thread when it comes out.
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

It's kind of off topic, but I just got a harmonium today.
Attached Thumbnails
TO ALL Oud Players-harmonium.jpg  
Old 29th August 2009
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
I have an Oud, but when I tried to string it up I broke several strings. They cost $15 so I've been afraid to try with a different pair, hoping a more experienced Oud player would come along to help me string it. In the last 5 years I haven't run into anyone. The strings that are on it seem to stay in tune. But the pegs are very difficult to move.

Any suggestions on string/tuning up these things without breaking the strings?

What is the proper tuning? I broke a peg so the lowest string is not duplicated. 11 strings total which I think is traditional anyway isn't it?
Yeah the lowest string is not duplicated. The "Arabic" tuning is -Low to High- C, F, A, D, G, C

Thread the string through the hole in the bridge and fold it back around itself and then it will tighten against the bridge when you tighten the peg. You were probably breaking the strings by tuning it too high. -I think- the high C is Middle C and the other C is two octaves below whatever the high C is.

Good luck.
Old 4th September 2009
Lives for gear

i thought you were talking about us old players... hehe
Old 7th September 2009
Lives for gear

anyone know where to get an oud setup/repaired in the UK (london or cardiff preferably)?

i was given one by my aunt months ago, and it just sits in my studio looking cool, but has some strings missing - i think one of the tuning pegs is broken. either way it needs sorting and i don't like sorting my acoustic guitar out let alone the oud. any advice appreciated!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search