The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tags: , , ,

Is the "Remote Possibilities..." forum too generic?
Old 4th February 2012
Gear Addict

Talking Is the "Remote Possibilities..." forum too generic?

When a "classical music recording and production forum?"
Old 4th February 2012
But we also talk about rock, jazz, folk, indie, touring, and live sound.

Anything on-site is fair game. I think the defining aspect of the Remote forum is that we aren't in recording "studios". There just happens to be a lot of overlap with classical and acoustic music.
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACOMO-_ View Post
When a "classical music recording and production forum?"
Why? There is a remarkable amount of discussion here about classical music recording and production in this forum. Orders of magnitude more than in any other audio forum I am aware of. In most other audio forums, classical music (and even jazz) is dismissed at best, and more commonly scorned by people with very narrow appreciation of music and no sense of history.

And, as NorseHorse says, most of the technical issues are not really specific to any particular style of music. And reading discussions about topics related to other musical styles is good for cross-pollination of ideas and solutions.
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear

If it ain't broke you don't gotta fix it. And it ain't broke.
Old 4th February 2012
Gear Addict

I think that recording classical music a different art compared to another genre.
The Interesting things are not gear or microphone, but approach, ear, editing process.
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear

Hi Giacomo

I have to respectfully disagree on both counts. I think it's a good thing to have all of these various interests sharing a common forum. The cross-pollination is a very healthy thing that contributes to a great over-all vibe and a good central place to ask almost any question.

Speaking personally, I feel that my experience in classical music recording informs my approach to recording jazz or rock, and what I've learned recording jazz and rock informs my approach to recording classical, and so on. I'm certainly not the best at recording anything in particular, but it's a pretty rich experience when you are able to go across borders.

It's a great collection of personalities here I think. Wouldn't want to break up the party.
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear

I do feel the signal-noise ratio has deteriorated the last few years as far as classical recording is concerned.
Old 4th February 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACOMO-_ View Post
I think that recording classical music a different art compared to another genre.
The Interesting things are not gear or microphone, but approach, ear, editing process.
Yes and no - I would say that the techniques are similar for classical, jazz and folk where you are recording acoustic instruments in a natural acoustic.

John
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear

It would be fun to have more classical chatter, but I don't think making a new forum is going to increase traffic.

It works well the way it is. If we want more classical, lets talk more classical! You can't have a conversation you don't start :-)
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear

This is by far the best forum for classical discussions imho. The others ran out of steam years ago. The only "criticism" I can level at GS is that it is still a little US heavy, it would be good for even more Euro and UK input. But the generosity of Americans with sharing information and tips is one of its most endearing qualities, hence the quotes around criticism.
Old 4th February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
But the generosity of Americans with sharing information and tips is one of its most endearing qualities, hence the quotes around criticism.
Yes, this is true.
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear

At one point in time, there were a decent number of active posters that regularly record professional orchestras here. These numbers have dwindled and the activity of the remaining few is low.
Old 4th February 2012
Gear Addict

Discussion about gear not are very exctings, maybe how organize a recording session of classical music it is. Recording a live concert is not the same thing that recording a classical music album (where "location" is the "studio"). The Charming part of classical music reocording often cannot be found in the internet forums. For example post production, editing ... Maybe a dedicate section could be useful. Maybe.
Old 5th February 2012
Lives for gear
Post isn't charming
Its industrial
Interaction with people is the challenge imho
Old 8th February 2012
Gear Head
Giacomo, I'm interested in your topic suggestions, please start some threads! I don't understand why we need a new forum for those.
Old 8th February 2012
Super Moderator

Starting a new forum would (IMHO) destroy what we have achieved to date.

I've worked very hard to make this the place it is today.

Be careful what you wish for, it may very well come true...
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post

I've worked very hard to make this the place it is today.

Be careful what you wish for, it may very well come true...
True.

This forum is the best I have ever come across.
Old 8th February 2012
Gear maniac

Guys, I love this forum because of the great contamination between different fields and the absence of boundaries. This simply makes me better everyday, it's that good.
Old 10th February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
And I would hate to see that ^^ happen. This is the best forum on GS. Lots of good info and enjoyable discussions, not much posturing or drama.

Besides, I really enjoy the occassional topic about recording birds for a scientific study, or recording some kids singing in a small village in Mozambique. "Remote" topics are not just classical, and I personally like it that way!
Old 10th February 2012
urumita

You can find whatever you want in this forum. Search for particular topics, start and subscribe to threads as you wish. If someone trolls you, you can use the ignore button. By doing this, you will have organized your searches ahead of time and you will have created your own personal classical recording forum just by using the board tools. Auguri...
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

i really appreciate the rather wide open series of topics found in the remote forum. while much of my work is location oriented and focusing on chamber music, i also do a fair amount of work in the studio, and with various other genres of music.

i know i can always find someone here who has some experience with almost any problem or question i might have. plus, over time, i feel that i have gotten to "know" many of the regular posters, which adds to the comfortable and supportive environment here.

steve remote deserves considerable kudos for the crazy amount of time and effort he has devoted to establishing, maintaining, and contributing to this forum. like most folks here, i have participated in many many audio forums, and this one is by far the best.
Old 4th March 2012
Super Moderator

Thanks again, but just remember one thing...

We are only as good as the Remotesters we keep!

IMHO, you folks are the best members a forum moderator can have.
Keep making this forum the best around.

Your participation and efforts are noted and greatly appreciated.

Simply outstanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
i really appreciate the rather wide open series of topics found in the remote forum. while much of my work is location oriented and focusing on chamber music, i also do a fair amount of work in the studio, and with various other genres of music.

i know i can always find someone here who has some experience with almost any problem or question i might have. plus, over time, i feel that i have gotten to "know" many of the regular posters, which adds to the comfortable and supportive environment here.

steve remote deserves considerable kudos for the crazy amount of time and effort he has devoted to establishing, maintaining, and contributing to this forum. like most folks here, i have participated in many many audio forums, and this one is by far the best.
Old 4th March 2012

I've been around here for a little while now (been laying low lately) and at no point have I A)recorded classical music or B)felt like I needed to to be a part of this group. I used to do a little bit of live band recording but I'm mostly a live sound (and now lighting) guy. I feel like there's better information and people here than on any other forum I visit that's dedicated to more of what I do. I have to agree with the people recommending that if you want something discussed, discuss it.
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

I think the forum is fine as it is.
Maybe the S/N ratio has gone up, but maybe that is because everybody is feeling the recession a bit.
We only did one orchestral session in 2011

But if you want to discuss anything, this seems like the best forum to do that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search