The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tags:

Rode NT-45 - Omni capsules
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Nut

Talking Rode NT-45 - Omni capsules

Hi there,

I did a search and just found one thread with no so much info or feedback about it.

I have a pair of Rode NT5 and wanted to have a pair of omni mics for using there where and when I feel they can work better than the cardiod pair I have (KM184). These capsules have a pretty good price but if someone owns them would be really great to hear some feedback first.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Old 2nd February 2012
Gear Nut

I have a matched pair of NT55s which come with the cardioid and omni capsules. In my opinion the omnis are at least as good as the cardioid caps - I usually use them as a spaced pair for orchestra/band recordings. I tend to use them a little closer together (18"-2') than when I use a pair of Oktava 012s (2'+) but that may just be me and the mounting situation as I haven't researched spacing that extensively.

For the money (I think the omni caps are £45 each in the UK) I don't see how you'd do any better and if you didn't get on with them I'm sure you could move them on easily enough.
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

The NT45s are IMHO better value than the NT55 cardioids. I have used them as outrigger/hall mics and once, in emergent circumstances, as an AB pair. The cardioids only come out in situations where I would have doubts about deploying a more expensive cardioid.

There was much heated discussion in an earlier thread when they were compared to more 'established' omnis.

There is a close resemblance (possibly by design) to the frequency response pattern of the KM183 (ie., 8 dB lift around 9kHz), so this needs to be borne in mind when selecting them for a particular application.
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear Nut

Thanks both for the answer and your help!

Tacitus, the distance you use between them is 2 feet and 18 inches? I'm not very familiar with feets and inches. That would be like 1 meter roughly, I think. am i right?

I intend to use them for church recordings when the acoustics of the church are really nice and I want that in the recording. Maybe for main pair or maybe I was thinking for hall mics and I could leave my KM184 as main pair and get the reverb with these omnis. But that should be without audience because having mics in the middle of the church with audience is a waste.

Yes, the price in Thomann is 74 euros each so I guess it shouldn't be a terrible mistake just for trying.
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncloudnine View Post
T

Yes, the price in Thomann is 74 euros each so I guess it shouldn't be a terrible mistake just for trying.
Thomann have good return policy, so it should not be any problem to return them if they don't fit your needs - Beware though that you have return them in as good a shape as they were delivered in.

::
Mads
Old 3rd February 2012
I'm not too fond of the cardioid capsules, but I think the omnis sound great. I don't think you would go wrong trying them out.
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear Nut

Oncloudnine, 18 inches is roughly 500mm; 2 feet is roughly 600mm. I usually have my omnis fairly close together to avoid 'hole in the middle' and because I like the general warmth of the omni soundstage without over-clinical instrument placement - sort of like mono on steroids. Added to which I record a lot of amateur bands where a bit of vagueness often helps the band to sound better.

I might add that I bought the NT55s instead of buying a pair of KM183s. I spent some of the difference on debauchery but the rest, well I just wasted it.
Old 3rd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacitus View Post
I might add that I bought the NT55s instead of buying a pair of KM183s. I spent some of the difference on debauchery but the rest, well I just wasted it.
In view of my previous remarks, you should then be satisfied. Put the NT55 cardioid capsules on eBay, and fund some more debauchery ...
Old 3rd February 2012
Gear Head
I agree with the previous comments. I have the NT5 pair + NT45-O capsules and it's just great bang for the buck. The omnis sound very nice for this price level. I think they will pick up the acoustics well in your church setting, but do keep in mind that they are bright around 8-10 kHz.
Old 4th February 2012
Gear Nut

Thanks all again for the feedback.

Evinrude, I'll keep in mind the 8-10 kHz tip. I already noticed that with the cardioid capsules and usually EQ that a bit down. Even with the KM184, I have noticed that some db's down are needed in that area especially when recording a violin section. They sound a bit metallic/harsh/screechy.

I think I already made my mind and will buy them and experiment what I can get with them. I'll keep you posted.

Best,
Old 4th February 2012
Here for the gear

If you are after a more neutral sound compared to both KM183/4 and NT45/55, you should definitely try AKG C480B with CK61/62 capsules. I made some great recordings of choir in a church with these AKGs. Also you could use KM184/3 or NT45/55 angled a bit off-axis to tame their HF response.
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas.nedoma View Post
you should definitely try AKG C480B with CK61/62 capsules.
Indeed, if you can afford the higher price compared to the NT55/45.

I have had a pair of C460B/CK61-62 for over 25 years and the omnis are less coloured and better suited to closer/spotter micing.

I did consider upgrading the bodies to C480B (the C460s are transformer out, C480s are transformerless, more gain slightly lower noise), but acquiring a pair of second-hand Schoeps CMC542S proved a better investment. But the AKGs are still useful.
Old 5th February 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Indeed, if you can afford the higher price compared to the NT55/45.
That's the idea. Of course I could use much better mics, but for now I'm not going to get crazy about gear simply because I don't make that much money so in my opinion I do prefer to learn to use what I have and then if one day I make a decent amount of money with this I'll upgrade my mics to something better.
Old 6th February 2012
Gear Head
Sounds good - please share your findings when you've had time to try them out. It would be interesting to hear your conclusions.

Also, I reread your earlier post on how you intend to use the mics. You mentioned having the mics in the middle of a church with audience is a waste. I just wanted to point out that you already get a lot of ambience and reverb if you place the omni pair just a few meters away from the musicians, compared to spotting them with cardioids. No need to have the mics next to sneezing audience.
Old 7th February 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by evinrude View Post
Sounds good - please share your findings when you've had time to try them out. It would be interesting to hear your conclusions.

Also, I reread your earlier post on how you intend to use the mics. You mentioned having the mics in the middle of a church with audience is a waste. I just wanted to point out that you already get a lot of ambience and reverb if you place the omni pair just a few meters away from the musicians, compared to spotting them with cardioids. No need to have the mics next to sneezing audience.
I'll keep that in mind and I think I'll have the first test at the beginning of March so I'll post a sample in this thread.

Best!

Dan
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
... No need to have the mics next to sneezing audience.
Was in Huntsville AL recording a string quartet thing last weekend. I was reminded... it's amazing (1) how hackers seem drawn to the mic stand, wherever it is, like bees to pollen, and (2) they do great holding the cough/sneeze/sniffle through all the nice loud passages, to unleash right in the middle of the three-beat rest.

Every dang time, it seems.

HB
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

^^^^^^^^^^^^

I thought the audience is generally comprised of folks from the TB ward on a day pass. Coughing and hacking during the silent parts is OK as it can be fixed. It is when it happens during the music and cannot be fixed that makes me cringe. But, that's live music, especially the classical.
Old 9th February 2012
Gear Addict

Yeah "the air is very dry in here"...
Old 9th February 2012
Gear Head
Some non-obstrusive audience noise in live takes of great performances can be tolerated and even appreciated by some listeners, because it gives the recording a sense of authenticity.
Old 9th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some non-obstrusive audience noise in live takes of great performances can be tolerated and even appreciated by some listeners, because it gives the recording a sense of authenticity.
Yes, it brings me back to the concerts that I have attended and live concerts over the air like Berlin Philharmoniker. The ever-so-faint rustle of clothes as folks move about and the occasional other sound is fine during the pauses. It is just the damned chorus of throat clearers, TB patients, wrapper rustlers, sneezers and coughers who should be hanged, drawn, quartered and then chastised for their bad manners. In a serious note, I think this is all a result of mass TV watching where it is alright to carry on during the show. If there were a bathroom in the orchestra section it would not surprise me that folks would go to it during the performance.

/cranky rant off
Old 9th February 2012
Gear Head
LOL, burn the lot!
Old 10th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some non-obstrusive audience noise
No such thing.
Old 10th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
...It is just the damned chorus of throat clearers, TB patients, wrapper rustlers, sneezers and coughers who should be hanged, drawn, quartered and then chastised for their bad manners. ...
/cranky rant off
yeah, thats what bothers me too all the time, as singer and as recordist
but sometimes it is a sign of a less than perfect performance - I experienced performances on and off stage where the audience was dead silent (although it was winter and many were sick) and the audience even remained silent for a couple of seconds after the end... (regrettably a very rare occasion)
Old 26th February 2012
Gear Nut

Hi again,

I received the Rode omni capsules not long ago and had the chance to do a first test. I'm very happy with them. I used them as a spaced pair (some 80 cm I'd say) for a bassoon/piano duet, spotting the piano with a stereo pair and the bassoon from some 2.5 m.

Here you have a short sample.

I'm even thinking about using them as main pair for the Mozart requiem I'll have in 3 weeks. Anyways, next weekend I can test them again in a different context with a bigger ensemble.

Amazing player by the way.
Attached Files

RodeNT5 sample.mp3 (5.38 MB, 3649 views)

Old 26th February 2012
Gear Head
Thanks! Sounds nice. I love the breath and click sounds from the bassoon. Was he moving around a lot, or where does the left-right sweep around 1:00 come from? The piano could perhaps be a bit brighter, but that's a matter of taste.
Old 27th February 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks! Sounds nice. I love the breath and click sounds from the bassoon. Was he moving around a lot, or where does the left-right sweep around 1:00 come from? The piano could perhaps be a bit brighter, but that's a matter of taste.
Yes! He was dancing with the music like a maniac. Moving the upside of the bassoon maybe more than a meter and a half. I saw that in the rehearsal but couldn't move the mics any further away from him.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
Thomann have good return policy, so it should not be any problem to return them if they don't fit your needs - Beware though that you have return them in as good a shape as they were delivered in.

::
Mads
Where do all of these returned mics end up!?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Should be sold as B-stock.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search