The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
More tracks! Roland R-26 and Tascam DR-40 Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 19th September 2011
More tracks! Roland R-26 and Tascam DR-40

Good idea, but why don't R-26 provides full 6 external inputs (3 x stereo), and Tascam DR-40 shall consider a version with 4 line inputs. It could be an excellent match to Sound Devices 442 or RME Quadmic.
Old 11th October 2011
Here for the gear

Has anyone heard or tested the R-26? I'm very curious about the noise floor performance especially compared to something like the H4n.
Old 25th October 2011
Gear Head

We tried the R-26. It was quite good. I don't quite understand why it has both omni and XY, since they are so close to each other on the top of the recorder. They didn't sound that different.

The noise was not that big of a issue. Probably in the same league as others in this price range.

The routing options were a little odd. For example if you choose to use the R-26's own mics with two external mics, it appeared that you can only record the external mics in stereo mode so that both of their gains are behind one knob(?). So if you choose to raise the gain of one mic, the other ones gain also raises. This is a problem only when recording along the R-26's own mics. In 2 channel mode you can raise gain of both of them separately.

It felt pretty sturdy. Although I don't know how long do touch screens usually last before breaking? I don't even have an iphone so I don't know

Hope this helps.

Last edited by markusE; 25th October 2011 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 25th October 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for the comment Markus. I think I may have to go out and buy one myself to see how it is first hand. Pricewise it sits between the H4n and something like the Marantz PMD661. I'm hoping it sounds closer to the latter and stays away from the atrocious noise floor of the H4n. Your general positivity has me interested though.
Old 30th December 2011
Here for the gear

I know this thread is pretty old now, but I just did a signal to noise ratio shootout between the DR-40 and R-26 (plus a bunch of other portable recorders like the H4N) and thought I'd post this in case anyone was still searching on this topic. To me pretty much all of them had very comparable self noise, none of which was really that good. While the R-26 seemed to have slightly less noise, it was pretty darn close to the DR-40. I also tested them against a Sound Devices USBpre 2 with a set of Neumann TLM 103 mics on it, which of course, blew all the recorders away with its signal to noise ratio. Check out my youtube shootout if you're interested.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search