The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Large Choral Ensembles Ribbon Microphones
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Large Choral Ensembles

Are there any tricks or tips anyone has found for recording larger choral groups i.e. groups larger than 150+?
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear
Take plenty of pads
Choirs of 200 in Gloucester Cathedral can draw blood.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Less is more. I have done choirs of 200+ with 3 or 4 mics beautifully. Subcard and omnis are your friend (I usually go for schoeps Mk 21, dpa 4006 and 4015.

Otherwise not much of a difference between a big and small choir in approach.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Ben,

Have you any suggestions for choirs in churches with orchestra in front of the chorus? Or with churches with large open side chapels?
Old 19th September 2011
See below:

choir Threads on Gearslutz

choral Threads on Gearslutz

There are a bunch of threads/posts regarding choir+orchestra.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I've looked/searched through the choral threads the last four days I didn't find anything that dealt with the kind of situation I've got to plan around. But thanks!
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownjuggles View Post
Ben,

Have you any suggestions for choirs in churches with orchestra in front of the chorus? Or with churches with large open side chapels?
Really depends on the room. As Norse has said, though, there have been dozens of threads over the years describing this. What it comes down to though, is the desired aesthetic and the gear available. I can tell you to use a bunch of Schoeps and DPA mics, but if you don't have them available to you, that advice won't do much good.

In short, if you mic an orchestra to get a good orchestral sound and add choir mics, you'll be in pretty good shape. How exactly that happens depends on the situation- entire books have been written on these subjects, though.

--Ben
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
In short, if you mic an orchestra to get a good orchestral sound and add choir mics, you'll be in pretty good shape. How exactly that happens depends on the situation- entire books have been written on these subjects, though.

--Ben
Ben's advice is right on-- and I will add that using choir mics that have some rear rejection of the orchestra (such as the Schoeps MK21) are a great help for consonant clarity without "spittiness."

Rich
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

We have used fig8's on tall stands between the back of the orch (often right at the back chairs of the brass and percussion) with their nulls to the orch and aimed at the choir.

This method, especially with ribbons, gives you a soft and blended choral sound, but with great isolation and control for later corrections to balance between orch and choir.

This seems to be always required with amateur choirs who don't have great vocal production.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

This technique is popular with the Telarc-- 5/4 guys-- but I find that it is because of the poor enunciation that I am forced to use some manner of condenser. With a work without horns and big percussion it should be quite nice, however. Are you using SF-1s?

Rich
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Rich, we generally use an SF24 in the middle and either a pair of Coles 4040 or KM120 Neumann condensers as outriggers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search