The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choices: tascam dm3200 with outboard gear or a dm4800 Mixers (Digital)
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

Choices: tascam dm3200 with outboard gear or a dm4800

Hi. Title says it more or less. Thinking about one of the 2 tascams for recording live performances directly to MacBook/logic via FireWire. But what to do better? Pay about 5000 euros for the 4800 Inc meterbridge and FireWire card and just roll, or go for the cheaper (and less equipped, like the fat channel) 3200 and spend the difference in extra I/o cards combined with 4 to 8 nice external preamps? Is it worth the hassle and, let's say, the difference between a geared up 3200 and the 4800 will be 1500 euro's, will that money bring me that much extra 'pre-amp quality' over the stock tascams? Looking forward to the reactions, tnx.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Unless you need the actual inputs (I cannot imagine most people would these days) I would say get the 3200 and some preamps. Those boards are fantastic for a lot of reasons, but the preamps in them are extremely utilitarian and definitely the weakest spot. They are fine, mind you, but a few really good channels would do you well.

N
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks. Most of the gigs will be 16 to 20 feeds, so def gonna need it. Can you tell me what in your opinion are the weakest spots of the preamps?
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent R. View Post
Thanks. Most of the gigs will be 16 to 20 feeds, so def gonna need it. Can you tell me what in your opinion are the weakest spots of the preamps?

They're sort of bland and very generic- not hi fi clean, just sort of clean-ish. You can make a record with them for sure, but it ain't a millennia.

And they don't have a ton of clean gain. You may find you'll have to crank them pretty good, which in and of itself insn't a problem, but on quieter sources can introduce unwanted noise.

N
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

i own both...the DM 3200 is boxed and offline. The 4800 is rockin everyday as the heart of a fully digital recording, editing, 5.1 moitoring rig. I don't use it live and if cartage is an issue the 3200 is of course lighter in weight. I havn't used the fat channel a bunch as I work with 2 PT rigs ITB. I do have many outboard pres that I prefer to use over the built in pres. Having said that I like Tascam pres for many situations where I don't want the color or character of OTB gear. IMO the DM3200/4800 pres are solid and more than decent sounding, when and if you need them. All in all a true swiss army knife for audio.
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies. So the preamps are okay. Clean as you guys say. I'm leaning towards the 3200 solution with some nice outboard amps. One question though: is it possible to use the stock Adat input at 4x 96khz thus get 20 channels in the 96khz domain without extra cards?
Old 4th February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent R. View Post
Thanks for the replies. So the preamps are okay. Clean as you guys say. I'm leaning towards the 3200 solution with some nice outboard amps. One question though: is it possible to use the stock Adat input at 4x 96khz thus get 20 channels in the 96khz domain without extra cards?
Good question! I'd be very interested in the answer as well as I am also thinking about getting a DM-3200. I would also like to know just how deep the DAW controls go. Can you actually control plugins when instantiated in a DAW channel?
Old 5th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnajar View Post
They're sort of bland and very generic- not hi fi clean, just sort of clean-ish. You can make a record with them for sure, but it ain't a millennia.

And they don't have a ton of clean gain. You may find you'll have to crank them pretty good, which in and of itself insn't a problem, but on quieter sources can introduce unwanted noise.

N
THEY ARE PERFECTLY CLEAN AND TRANSPARENT!!!

ugh!! I don't get people that are wanting color with these!! They are meant to not add to the sound as anyone buying one of these will have their own amps and won't want the mixers amps to add to the sound in ay way. Also a clean preamp is a GOOD preamp.

And it has TONS!!! of clean gain. These are actually amazingly useful preamps and I should know as I use API, NEVE, BAE (1084, 1028's, UA 610, Meeks etc every day.)

The converters and amps on this board are nothing short of amazing. I have heard and used nearly all the big name converters and amps so I can comment on this from a legitimate and honest frame of reference.

Great mics and few great color pres eq's and comps and you could be rocking with this board.

BTW

32 channel i/o
12 auxes
24 busses
non phasey eq's
amazing on board reverb (the plates of great) verb etc.
and I run the entire board through my entire rack

using the ad/da cards with 0 latency.
Old 5th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnajar View Post

N

really?? "not hi fi clean, just sort of clean-ish."
Really!!??

If this mixer had SSL written on it every gearslut in the world would own one and rant about it

And regarding the pres:
THEY ARE PERFECTLY CLEAN AND TRANSPARENT!!!

ugh!! I don't get people that are wanting color with these!! They are meant to not add to the sound as anyone buying one of these will have their own amps and won't want the mixers amps to add to the sound in any way. Also a clean preamp is a GOOD preamp.

And it has TONS!!! of clean gain. These are actually amazingly useful preamps and I should know as I use API, vintage NEVE 1073, BAE (1084, 1028's) UA 610, Meeks etc every day.

The converters and amps on this board are nothing short of amazing. I have heard and used nearly all the big name converters and amps so I can comment on this from a legitimate and honest frame of reference.

Great mics and few great color pres eq's and comps and you could be rocking with this board.

BTW:
32 channel i/o
12 auxes
24 busses
A great remote for the DAW
Total recall of mixer and DAW i/o
Non phasey eq's
Amazing on board reverb (the plates of great) verb etc.
and I run the entire board through my entire rack
Choices: tascam dm3200 with outboard gear or a dm4800-img_0517.jpg
using the ad/da cards with 0 latency.

These mixers are transparent and amazing.

How every Gearslut on earth doesn't have one of these is astounding to me.
Old 20th July 2012
Gear Maniac

How are. You connecting your outboard gear to the 4800?

I have a ART pro 215, my first pre. I and using the insert to connect, I also tried using the AUX return which works great but i can figure out how to turn thesignal off and onn the the stereo buss for direct monitoring.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search